I am so lost and frustrated!!

Forum: Student Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Student Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM
TheBoyMaker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am going back to school here very soon. Hopefully summer of fall semester. I had intended to skip Spring semester then I was tempted to go but I passed it up because I have a problem. I can not for the life of me settle on a major!! OMG Its driving me nuts!!! The minute I think I know what I want to do I change my mind because of one little thought!! The problem is I like so many things. My councelors at the college are not very helpful. So I thought I would write here and see if any of you have had this problem as well and also how did you decide on a major?
I love kids, elderly and the medical field. So far I have picked early childhood education, diagnosit sonography, medical administration, nursing, dental hygeine, social work, and graphic design.
I am all about my kids and being a sahm. What I want a degree for is for the just incases. Incase dh would god forbid become disable requiring me to be the breadwinner. Incase there ever came a time (hopefully not, knock on wood) dh and I divorced...and so on. I am not in a hurry to get through school since what I really want to be doing right now is being here with my kids.
when I do graduate I would like for my kids to be older before I go back to work and I want a career where I have holidays and weekends off so at least one parent is always there.
DH has only 8 classes left before he graduates from nursing school. I know nurses work holidays and weekends so its very important to me that I dont.
any advice would be awesome!

J-Bird 🐦December 16, 2001
Monkey🐒 September 10, 2006
Roo 🐾October 7, 2008
Turtle 🐢December 26, 2013

January 25th, 2007, 04:53 PM
starcie
I've changed my mind soooo many times in the 8 (ouch) years since I fist started uni - I even quit and became a qualified hairdresser at one point!

The education system is way different here , but is there a way you can pick something that will give you muliple career options afterwards??

The other thing I would suggest is to talk to people in the professions you are thinking of. See if you can spend a day with them sort of on 'work experience' to get a feel for the actual job. I know what I'm learning at the moment is no indication of what I'd be doing on a day to day basis with my chosen major. If you see it for yourself it might make something more attractive than the others.

Other than that - just go with your heart, try not to let your head interfere too much!

Good luck, and I'm sure some of the other ladies here have some much better advice for you
January 26th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Kristin143's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristin143
Quote:
I am going back to school here very soon. Hopefully summer of fall semester. I had intended to skip Spring semester then I was tempted to go but I passed it up because I have a problem. I can not for the life of me settle on a major!! OMG Its driving me nuts!!! The minute I think I know what I want to do I change my mind because of one little thought!! The problem is I like so many things. My councelors at the college are not very helpful. So I thought I would write here and see if any of you have had this problem as well and also how did you decide on a major?
I love kids, elderly and the medical field. So far I have picked early childhood education, diagnosit sonography, medical administration, nursing, dental hygeine, social work, and graphic design.
I am all about my kids and being a sahm. What I want a degree for is for the just incases. Incase dh would god forbid become disable requiring me to be the breadwinner. Incase there ever came a time (hopefully not, knock on wood) dh and I divorced...and so on. I am not in a hurry to get through school since what I really want to be doing right now is being here with my kids.
when I do graduate I would like for my kids to be older before I go back to work and I want a career where I have holidays and weekends off so at least one parent is always there.
DH has only 8 classes left before he graduates from nursing school. I know nurses work holidays and weekends so its very important to me that I dont.
any advice would be awesome![/b]
Hunny its ok to change your mind that means the first major you wanted to take was not the right one for you! I started out as Medical Asst. ( my college did not have the Criminal Justice field) and well i jsut did it to do it kwim? Then they got to CRJ major and i jumped right in its where my heart is!!!

What i would do is go to the college and sit down with maybe the Dean of Students and look at all the pros & cons of the majors for YOU.. then make a list for yourself and see with every major "can i see myself doing this and being happy when im doing it 5-10 yrs down the road"

Good luck!
January 28th, 2007, 08:35 PM
~jenjen~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~jenjen~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~jenjen~
I so know how you feel. I changed my major many times and ended up dropping out. I was due to more than indecision but I dropped out none the less. I worked in a nursing home as an aid for 4 years before I decided what I really wanted to do, and I still don't know exactly what that is. I chose a major that has a little of everything I am interested in and I have a ton of job options when I finish. I finally feel like I have direction. I don't know about your schools but if you ask around they should be able to do an intrest inventory that may help point you in the right direction. If nothing else do some job shadowing. That may help.
Jen
January 28th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Conservative in Exile
I understand what you mean!! I started off college as a Fine Arts major, and per the curriculum of that specific college I took mainly art classes. Fast forward 2 years later and I want to suddenly be a Political Science major. That was a huge leap, and all I had were art credits and not as many general education classes. So now I have 2-3 years left, even tho I'm credited as being a junior.

My advice to you is to maybe start off taking the general education classes, so you don't waste time or money. Those might also help you decide exactly what you want to do. Had I taken more history classes...maybe I would have realized my love for politics.

I know my university had exploratory career fairs and even a class (which you got credit for) which kinda talked about different fields. You might want to see if any univ. or colleges near you have something like that you could attend to explore the areas you discussed.

Good luck, eventually one day it will hit you what you really want to do!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search