built in car seats???

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2008, 11:24 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just how safe are the built in car seats in cars? We just bought a minivan that has one and we are debating whether to continue using DD's current car seat or use the built in one. She's 2-1/2 years and 36 lbs. Her current seat is the Alpha Omega 3 in 1.
July 19th, 2008, 11:35 PM
:::Dan!elle:::'s Avatar Proud to be a CPST!
I have a van that has 2 built in carseats in the middle row. I used it for a while for my oldest-he's 3 (38 pounds, 39 inches tall). Mine seemed to be very hard to adjust, and don't have any side support. I was told they are just as safe as regular car seats, but found them to be more of a pain in the butt.
July 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM
MaggieQ's Avatar Veteran
They are perfectly safe! The pass all the same standards as any other child retsraint. The only thing is that they don't have sides, so they dont have any Side impact protection. If you have a car serat I woulsd use it, but the built ins are fine.

July 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM
My sister uses her and seems happy with it and thinks its just as safe as a reg seat.
July 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What types of cars have built in seats? I've never actually seen one.
July 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
MaggieQ's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
What types of cars have built in seats? I've never actually seen one. [/b]
Mostly mini vans

my brother had an older neon with one...It's something you can get in a car when you build it, extras like super cool speakers or a navigation system.

July 21st, 2008, 12:01 PM
Veteran
Here's what you can get with the Dodge Grand Caravan as an example:
http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/grand_caravan...tion/index.html

It's basicly integral to the seat instead of something you buckle in. You would be eliminating the possibility of the child's seat coming loose from the car. The seat is attached to the car, and seats don't come loose from cars unless it's the kind of crash you aren't going to survive anyway or the car is badly rusted out.

The down side would be that you have that car seat in that seating position and don't have an easy way of changing to a normal seat, it may limit options otherwise available for cargo hauling such as stow 'n' go, and it may not afford the best lateral support for side impact protection.

I don't know what the testing NHTSA requires for car seats, but I know it would have to be thoroughly tested because it is included with an OEM vehicle as an optional piece of equipment installed by the factory. If there is any advantage to how well it's tested it is that you know that an integral car seat has been tested in the car it is designed to be installed in, car seats are most likely crash tested on a standard seat of some sort, but not in every possible variation of automobile seat they might be installed on.
July 21st, 2008, 01:33 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Just curious..
what is the weight limit for these?
July 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM
:::Dan!elle:::'s Avatar Proud to be a CPST!
Quote:
Just curious..
what is the weight limit for these?[/b]
mine have a 50 pounds limit.
July 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM
MaggieQ's Avatar Veteran
It's different in all cars. Most are 50lbs some 40.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search