WWYD??

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2008, 07:13 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
Some people just moved into our apartment complex a couple days ago...and yesterday they parked next to us. When I went downstairs to load up the family in our car I noticed that they were using an infant carseat as a booster seat. It was upside down, sitting nearly upright, and I could see imprints where the carseat straps went in the padding of the carseat.

I am pretty sure that the little kid who rides in this is only about 3 years old. I've only saw him once, for a minute or so, but he really doesn't look much older than that.

I'm not sure what to do. I haven't actually seen him ride in it, but it is obvious that he does. I can't believe someone could be so wreckless...

WWYD?

I thought about calling the fire department and asking if they had any free booster seats - I am pretty sure they give away free booster and free infant carseats. A booster has to be better than what they are doing now, even if he wouuld be safer in a 5 point harness... I don't think I can, in good conscious, let this go.

July 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
RL2007's Avatar Veteran
I wouldn't let it go, either. How sad.

If I were you, I would first leave a note on their car. I have a neighbor who has her DD in a booster sitting in the front seat. I left her note and she stopped (for now). She's still too little to be in a booster.

Anyway, if that doesn't work, you need to call the police. If that child is 3, then he should be in a 4 point harness. Tell them to go to WalMart and get the Cosco Scenera. It's $40, and that's nothing when it comes to the safety of their child.

How utterly ridiculous! Try the note first, with some good information (maybe staple some literature to it and links to some of the youtube videos?) and cross your fingers that you don't have to get the police involved.

You should also look up the law in your state:
http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx
And be armed with that in case the police dismiss it.

Thanks to Little Miss Sunshine for my adorable siggy!!

</div>
July 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Oh Kayttie! That's terrible!!
BTW, we have one of the crappiest laws IMO

I'd def, leave a note first tho.. GL HON!
July 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow some people are stupid! (IMO) how on earth do you explain using an infant seat upside down as a booster otherwise?

hope they listen, to either you or the cops.

July 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
I'm going to have DF fix the printer tonight and I'll print the laws, and some facts out for them... and if they don't change then I'll call the sheriff. Lordy, I've been calling them a lot lately (for other unrelated but equally stupid things!)

ETA: Nevermind..not printing out the laws. I can't believe Florida allows 3+ to be out of carseats. That is messed up!!!! Mel, we should start a protest!!

July 23rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
RL2007's Avatar Veteran
Actually you should email, email and then email again to your Congressman. The law won't change until people complain. Send rock-solid proof that a child that young can be seriously injured. Try to get a ped. on board with proof of spinal compression and broken necks.

If you can get a booster seat for him at the Firestation, that's what I'd do. Poor kiddo

Thanks to Little Miss Sunshine for my adorable siggy!!

</div>
July 23rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
B-E-C-K-I-E's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I can't believe that's the law in Florida either! To allow them without even a booster over 3? Not here! Missouri laws require children under age four and under 40 pounds to ride in a car seat that is appropriate for the child's age and size. Children ages 4 through 7 who weigh more than 40 pounds but less than 80 pounds or are not at least 4'9" tall must ride in an appropriate child car seat or booster seat. And I have no qualms with this law, I think Florida should have the same!!

I wouldn't be able to let it go either, Kayttie. I'd have to leave them a note or report it to someone! Good luck! I worry about that child! I'd let them know that if they were in an accident and something happened to that child, they could face very serious consequences! Not to mention, they would never forgive themselves!

July 23rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
How'd it go?
Did Shane get that info printed?
I agree about the protest!
July 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I can't find their car again!!! I saw it once a few days ago, and haven't seen it since, but I have seen the family.

I called the fire department and couldn't get through to anyone, so I asked DF to talk to one of his co-workers, who's father is the fire chief. I'm sure he will know who I can contact.

I wish I was rich - then I'd buy every kid I ever saw a wonderful carseat so they would all be safe. It just seems that every other day I see a child who isn't properly harnessed. A couple weeks ago I saw a couple put their sleeping infant, who was already in an infant carseat, forward facing in the backseat, and didn't even buckle her in!! What in the world could their excuse be??? They didn't want to use the darn seatbelt??? I called the police and gave the tag number, but I don't know if they did anything about it.

July 24th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Actually you should email, email and then email again to your Congressman. The law won't change until people complain. Send rock-solid proof that a child that young can be seriously injured. Try to get a ped. on board with proof of spinal compression and broken necks.

If you can get a booster seat for him at the Firestation, that's what I'd do. Poor kiddo [/b]

I think I am going to write a letter to the "higher-ups." I'll talk to our new pediatrician and see if he will be willing to do the same. I'm just disgusted at this law. It isn't enough, at all, and there really is no excuse to not put your child in a safe car seat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search