Infant Car Seat

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Super Mommy
We were at BRU today purchasing DS his new Regent and we were looking at infant car seats. I drive a F-150 with the suicide doors (really don't like calling them that!), and we are looking for an infant seat where it will allow you to move the handle forward when placed in the cradle while in the car.

Our old infant seat was huge, was a Graco Snug-something or other and it barely fit in the car with the handle being place over the babies head where it hit the passenger seat. We had to move the seat to the most forward position and I would have to sit in the back with the baby.

The only one I could find that allowed the handle to go forward was the Peg Perego. Nice looking seat, but at $200+ was a little pricey for a seat that we might not be using for too long. DS was a monster, weight and height wise, and we moved him to a rf'ing Triumph, I think within about 6 months.

Any ideas on an infant seat that would allow us to move the handle forward while in the cradle, or one that allows you to butt it up against the front seats without impairing the protection of your child? Once the baby is big enough, he/she will be going into a Britax Marathon (crosses fingers that it will fit beside the Regent in the truck!) so we would only be using the seat for a relatively short period of time.

Sorry so long, I tend to be long winded at the best of times

Edit - The Regent would just not install well in the Ford. No matter what we tried, the top of the seat would rest too close or touch the back window of the truck. We were able to get a really tight install where the seat wouldn't budge...but the angle of the this seat didn't sit well with the bench seats and window so close behind. Beautiful seat though. We are going to try the Raidan 80, unfortunately it has to be ordered on-line as there are no stores close to us that sell it

mnmommy2008 - thanks for the idea with the used car seat. I am one of those who don't really like used things and a car seat is just a no go for me. Appreciate the thought though

CIM 04/18/05 & OTM 02/19/09

August 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm new to all this, but mabe you could find a good used peg perego. Like you said, infant seats aren't used very long, so you might have some luck finding one that is in really good shape.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
August 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM
MaggieQ's Avatar Veteran
The combi seats allow the handle to be up and they're pretty small, you can usually get a pretty good deal too. I would not get a used seat unless the person you get it from is a close friend or family member that you REALLY trust.

As for the Regent, as longas it installs well I don't think that touching the seat is really an issue. Could you get pictures so I know in more detail what you mean? The Radian will definately not last as long and it doesn't install well or at all in some vehicles. I have one though and I love it.

August 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Super Mommy
The top of the Regent, with the angle on it with the bar in the back, ended up touching the the back window of the truck, it did not touch a seat. The seat bed because of it being a bench seat is quite small, though I was able to get the 80/20 (at least 80% of the car seat on the actual bench). We were able to get a tight install on it, but just the fact that it was resting on the window of the back of the truck, really didn't sit well with us. If that silly bar wasn't on the back of the Regent!

We'll see how the Radian does, and if it doesn't do well for us, I might go back and try the Regent in the middle of the truck and then have the new baby on the outboard. If that fails, then ....hmmph!

CIM 04/18/05 & OTM 02/19/09

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search