need advice

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM
jsmommy0004's Avatar Super Mommy
My LO is 7 months old and are looking at purchasing a convertible soon. We were looking at this one. http://www.target.com/Graco-Comfort-Sport-...1589739-9690534

It is a graco therefor it won't last as long as another might. It only goes to 40 lbs. Is there any other issues with it I am not seeing? If this is a bad one is there any others you can recommend for fairly cheap. I know it is better to buy a more expensive one but we can't afford it right now.

Also my 4 year old is in a high back booster. Is there a car seat with a 5 point harness that he could still fit in? Thanks so much for the help!

August 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How much does the 4yr old weigh, and how tall is he? Assuming the 4yr old is less than 65lbs, I'd probably get him a harnessed seat that goes to 65lbs, and the baby one that goes to 40. When your son outgrows his seat, little sister can move into it. There is a sticky that has a bunch of recommended seats, with their height and weight limits.

Thank you Julia (Julka) for my BEAUTIFUL siggy!!
<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
August 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM
he is 45 lbs right now. I will look on the list for his. But I noticed no graco seats were on the list.

August 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM
MaggieQ's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
he is 45 lbs right now. I will look on the list for his. But I noticed no graco seats were on the list.[/b]
I really don't recommend a comfort sport because all car seats are outgrown when your kids shoulders are above the tallest strap setting. On the Comfort sport, the tallest slots are VERY low. You LO will probably otgrow it at about 2 1/2. I had a TINY 22 month old 24lbs at a clinic, who had outgrown it.there are other cheap options that are good. The safety 1st uptown, safety 1st avenue, cosco scenera are good optios the Avenue is your best bet.

For your older son, I recomment the Graco Nautilus, or the apex 65, theyre bothe pretty cheap.

August 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Its pretty crazy that everyone I've talked to says the cosco scenera. It is like the cheapest car seat out there! Or one of them anyway. I guess price doesn't always matter The only ? I have about that one is it doesn't have the energy absorbent foam. Will that make a huge difference safety wise?

I will look into all of those! Thanks so much for the help!

August 9th, 2008, 08:28 PM
MaggieQ's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Its pretty crazy that everyone I've talked to says the cosco scenera. It is like the cheapest car seat out there! Or one of them anyway. I guess price doesn't always matter The only ? I have about that one is it doesn't have the energy absorbent foam. Will that make a huge difference safety wise?

I will look into all of those! Thanks so much for the help![/b]
That;s the reason it is recommended so often. It's cheap. It's a very bare bones seat, nothing fancy,no foam etc. All seats need to pass the same tests to be put on the shelves but they don't have to tell you how well they test. It is not required to have any form of SIP. However, being in a 5 pt harness alone offers pretty good protection. If you are able to get something with foam, get it but I wouldn't beat yourself up about it if you can't. It does not have very high top slots but for the price, you really can't beat it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search