Questions about expired car seats

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2008, 06:43 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
#1 Why do car seats expire?

#2 Say a car seat has only been owned by you, you bought it brand new. Your child is the only child to have ever used it, has never been in a car accident of any sort, etc. Do you replace it the minute it expires? Or do you continue to use it since you've been the only owner and know it's never been in a car accident, etc.?
August 16th, 2008, 08:48 AM
:::Dan!elle:::'s Avatar Proud to be a CPST!
I believe they expire because the plastic starts to deteriorate, and they are no longer safe. I'm not sure about if it's been in a box, but if it's been used and been in the sun I would definitely replace it if it's expired.
August 16th, 2008, 01:33 PM
MaggieQ's Avatar Veteran
They expire because requirements change. Things that were considered safe six years ago, are no longer safe(t-shield, over the head sheild, sheild boosters, etc). The tests they have to pass change and most seats that old simply do not pass any more. I would never use an expired seat even if it met all the items you listed above. Never.

August 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM
See, this is exactly what I was telling my sister, but she didn't believe me

The good thing is that the car seat my niece is in has NOT expired yet.... but will before she out grows it. So I still have some convincing time
August 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
RL2007's Avatar Veteran
Definitely let her know that the plastic degrades (contracts in cold, expands in heat) and can fail in a car accident.

I wonder, if it's 6ish years old, is a 5-point harness even?

Thanks to Little Miss Sunshine for my adorable siggy!!

</div>
August 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM
MaggieQ's Avatar Veteran
Even if it has been sitting in a a box for six years, it's still no good. They safety standards change and crash tests are more difficult to pass. A six year old seat simply no longer meets FMVSS 213 requirements.

August 18th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Definitely let her know that the plastic degrades (contracts in cold, expands in heat) and can fail in a car accident.

I wonder, if it's 6ish years old, is a 5-point harness even?[/b]
My DD's infant and convertible seats were 5-pt harnesses 7yrs ago. I think 5-pt harnesses were just becoming the norm... but it was still pretty common to see 3pt harnesses and *shudder* LOTS of over the head shield thingies when we were buying her seats.

Thank you Julia (Julka) for my BEAUTIFUL siggy!!
<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
August 18th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I'm going to go get her a free car seat from the clinic they're having at the hospital next weekend and give it to her. Then she doesn't have to say anything about the $$!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search