Extended Rear Facing question

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Snakes-n-Snails
My son is almost 19 months old and weighs 24 lbs. He is still rear facing in his convertible carseat. I cannot find anywhere on it what brand or model it is. All I know is that we bought it nearly a year ago from Walmart and it looks similar to this one, although I am pretty sure we paid close to $100 for ours. Anyway, I went yesterday to move the straps up to the tallest setting (of 3 strap settings) and noticed that on the side it said the highest setting was only for forward facing: 20-40 lbs. My question is this...should I turn him forward facing so he can be more comfortable in the carseat, or should I leave it rear facing on the lower straps? I had intended on keeping him rear facing to 30 lbs. because that's what the limit is on the middle straps RFing.

Thanks for helping me ladies and I hope this makes sense.

Edit because of a typo in weight.
August 18th, 2008, 05:07 PM
raelynn's Avatar Super Mommy
On those seats, I think the reason the top slot is only for forward-facing, is because if the child's shoulders are ABOVE that last slot, their head is going to be above the top of the shell (which is a no-no for rear-facing). If your child's shoulder's are higher than that top slot, I would almost be positive that your child has outgrown the seat forward and rear-facing (since the seat is outgrown forward facing once the shoulders are above the tallest slot). For rear facing, the shoulders must be at or above the harness slot, for forward facing the shoulders must be at or below.

Can you post a picture of him in it?

August 19th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Snakes-n-Snails
I will take a picture this morning for you. THanks!
August 20th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Snakes-n-Snails
Sorry it took me so long. Here are several pictures of him in the seat.

How far his head is from the top:

Where his feet are:

I hope you can read the wording on the sticker. I am having a hard time understanding what it is saying about the top notches.

In the pics, it looks like his shoulders aren't level with the top holes, but they are. The lower holes make him slouch a bit.
August 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM
raelynn's Avatar Super Mommy
The harness is absolutely in the right slots (since the top slots are above his shoulders, and when rear facing the harness must be at or BELOW the shoulder level). You've got it right and definitely do not want to move the harness up. His shoulders look quite far below the top slot, even though he's slouching. Is he uncomfortable?

As a side note, you need to take that locking clip off the seatbelt. When using a locking clip, it need to be as close to the buckle as possible (otherwise, it will likely fly off in an accident, becoming a projectile but also making the seatbelt too loose). Your vehicle looks new enough though, that you would have locking seatbelts and not need the locking clip at all.

August 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM
Snakes-n-Snails
Thanks! We'll take that locking clip off now.

Thanks for helping!
September 2nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
MaggieQ's Avatar Veteran
the slot he is in now is the right one. I would rcline it a tad more, and move the locking clip, but everything else is perfect! P.S. your car seat is a Graco Comfort sport.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search