hi! some info, questions, introduction

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
Hi everyone! Im a newbie to the board but definitely not to JM!

Here's what i have, please let me know what you think.

First off, we have a 1998 Ford Explorer, which means we do NOT have LATCH. Im really upset about this but definitely cannot buy a new truck. So we're hoping the carseats we chose are ok, and we need some help with how they should be placed in the back row together.

Kairi:
7 months old, 13 pounds (not sure on length but about 25 inches)
Just bought her a Sunshine Kids Radian 80, rear facing

Christian:
39 months (3 years, 3 months) old, 22 pounds (no idea on hieght but definitely NOT near the top of the carseat)
Has been in an Evenflo Triumph 5, rear facing
This carseat was our older son's and is from 2003, does this need replacing??

Ricky:
5 years old, 40 pounds, about 36 inches
Was in a graco booster (horrible!), Then i bought him a SSK Monterey, got it home and realized it wasn't a 5-pt harness, the ABC Kids Expo was crazy hectic that last day and i just really swore the Monterey was 5-pt harness. So i now listed that on craiglist for sale and bought the Britax Frontier. We wanted something with good side/head support, arm rests and up to 80+ pounds. The Britax Frontier seemed like it had all of that and was in our price range. Forward Facing
From the rumors i kind of picked up around here though, something is going on with the Frontier, im off to do research but please inform me! Is this carseat still the safe?

My questions:
~does the evenflo need replacing after 5 years in service, but no accidents?
~is the frontier still safe to use and what should i be looking out for?
~are the carseats we have safe enough to use without the LATCH system?
~in what order should the carseats be in? (we currently have the 2 boys on the outside, kairi the baby in the middle)
~any other carseats you recommend that will last a long time. we are looking for longevity and safety as our first primary concerns, then comfort and ease of installation.
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
September 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can always have tether anchors retrofitted at a dealership.

All car seats have expiration dates, so I'd check to see if you can find a manufacture date on the Evenflo seat. If you bought it in 2003, and if it had a 6 year expiration, it would be expiring soon and needs to be replaced no matter what when it expires.

The Graco Nautilus is a great seat. It's a forward facing 5-point harness from 30 lbs to 65 lbs, then becomes a booster with a back, and a backless booster to 100 lbs.

Hopefully someone else can answer your other questions.
September 16th, 2008, 08:42 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
all carseats are safe to use without a LATCH. As long as you get it installed properly.
September 17th, 2008, 01:52 AM
RL2007's Avatar Veteran
My questions:
~does the evenflo need replacing after 5 years in service, but no accidents?
Check the manufacture date on the car seat. If it's 6 years from then, yes.
~is the frontier still safe to use and what should i be looking out for?
The Frontier is perfectly safe, but is having some issues at the moment. Currently the biggest issue is the splitter plate. Please refer to this thread at car-seat.org. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=56923
~are the carseats we have safe enough to use without the LATCH system?
All car seats are safe to use without LATCH. As long as the car seat is installed properly with the seatbelt, it's doing just as much as LATCH would.
~in what order should the carseats be in? (we currently have the 2 boys on the outside, kairi the baby in the middle)
The basic rule of thumb is the most vulnerable child in the middle. So, if you have 2 RFer's and 1 FFer, the FFer should be in the middle, because he's more likely to be hurt in a collision. Once your middle child reaches the height/weight to be FFing, he should be installed in the middle.
~any other carseats you recommend that will last a long time. we are looking for longevity and safety as our first primary concerns, then comfort and ease of installation.
Since your Evenflo will likely expire soon, if it hasn't already, I would look into either the Evenflo Triumph Advance (RF's to 35lbs, but only FF's to 50 lbs) the Britax Marathon (RF's to 35, FF's to 65) or maybe get another Radian80 for him! You'll get the most harnessing out of all the convertibles the RF to 35 lbs. Plus they can be tethered RFing (like Britax) which is a plus (in my opinion, of course).

Glad to see you around and asking questions!

Thanks to Little Miss Sunshine for my adorable siggy!!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search