Guess what I did today

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2008, 09:52 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went to the ER today for an infected tooth that I have. Well as I was walking in I looked inside a Kia SUV and see a bucket FACING FORWARD!!!!! I said if they are still here when I get out, I am leaving a note. I figured htey would be, it only takes about an hr at the er where I go.

So I did. This is what I said.

I seen that you have an infant carrier carseat buckled in facing forward. These carseats are not intended to go forward, only rear facing. In doing this and putting your child in it you are putting your child at risk for serious injuries and/or death in the even that an accident should occur. If you dont beilieve me...get online. Go to youtube.com and type in extended rear facing carseats...watch a few of those videos. That should change your mind. Your child by law should be backward untill at least a year and 20lbs, if they are over that and you turned them around, yes that is legal, but still not safe, and espcially not safe with the infant carseat you are using. If you are unable to purchase another carseat, please contact your local job and family services, they have a program to help you purchase one. Please take this into consideration and not judgemental. I mean it for the best of your children, cause as a mother myself I know that we all want the best possible for our little ones. If possible it would be best to keep your child rear facing as long as possible, in best case scenario. But if you wish to have them forward facing, please try to get a carseat that is intended to face forward. Have a great weekend and I hope you heed my advice
From A concerned parent.

September 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM
The Jen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good for you!! I think there are a lot of people that need to be educated regarding using car sears correctly.

Interested in Cloth Diapers and other kid/baby products? Then Check out my store!! www.chickadeebabies.com
September 19th, 2008, 01:12 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've seen a lot of dumb car seat errors, but I have never saw someone trying to use an infant carrier (bucket seat) forward facing. WOW!
September 19th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
how would they even buckle it????

Good for you!
September 19th, 2008, 04:22 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It was odd...cause I actually stood there and looked lol

It was in the base and then the seatbelt went OVER the top of the base...nice huh
September 24th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I went to the ER today for an infected tooth that I have. Well as I was walking in I looked inside a Kia SUV and see a bucket FACING FORWARD!!!!! I said if they are still here when I get out, I am leaving a note. I figured htey would be, it only takes about an hr at the er where I go.

So I did. This is what I said.

I seen that you have an infant carrier carseat buckled in facing forward. These carseats are not intended to go forward, only rear facing. In doing this and putting your child in it you are putting your child at risk for serious injuries and/or death in the even that an accident should occur. If you dont beilieve me...get online. Go to youtube.com and type in extended rear facing carseats...watch a few of those videos. That should change your mind. Your child by law should be backward untill at least a year and 20lbs, if they are over that and you turned them around, yes that is legal, but still not safe, and espcially not safe with the infant carseat you are using. If you are unable to purchase another carseat, please contact your local job and family services, they have a program to help you purchase one. Please take this into consideration and not judgemental. I mean it for the best of your children, cause as a mother myself I know that we all want the best possible for our little ones. If possible it would be best to keep your child rear facing as long as possible, in best case scenario. But if you wish to have them forward facing, please try to get a carseat that is intended to face forward. Have a great weekend and I hope you heed my advice
From A concerned parent.[/b]
I wish I had the same guts as you when I saw this stupid mom in her car with her 4month old daughter in a car seat in the passagener seat!!! In the back seat was the stroller. I wish so bad that I could go back to that day and tell her something or call the cops. If I ever see anything like that I will def do something about it. Im just so mad at myself!

thank you steph2007 for my gorgeous siggy!

October 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I wish I had the same guts as you when I saw this stupid mom in her car with her 4month old daughter in a car seat in the passagener seat!!! In the back seat was the stroller. I wish so bad that I could go back to that day and tell her something or call the cops. If I ever see anything like that I will def do something about it. Im just so mad at myself![/b]
With my oldest, all of the his car seats were in the passenger seat because they did not fit right in the back. This is what the car seat people at the fire station did for me. They said that it was much safer in the front (no airbags) with a good fit rater than in the back where they could not get it to fit (several of them tried for over an hour). Could it have been something like this?

October 4th, 2008, 12:59 AM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My neighbor across the street puts her new baby in the front seat of her big Lexus SUV, of course a car seat fits in her back seat. It makes me SO mad! I want to say something, but she thinks she knows everything and is above everyone else.

Is having a car seat in the front illegal in any way?

Get this, he husband is an OB, WHY the heck is she doing that? I'm mad, sorry!

October 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
MamaBx3
Good for you!!!! It's really scary how uninformed some people are about carseat safety!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search