need advice

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
okay, so I actually need to get TWO new seats...

For my older DD:
she is 32lbs, 39.5"
She's quite petite and I honestly don't expect her to reach 40lbs until she is close to 5. I want to get her a convertible booster seat. Right now I'm considering the cosco (something or other) that is a harnessing booster. up to 40lbs in the harness, up to 80 with the belt.
But is there an inexpensive seat out there that harnesses over 40lbs? I can't seem to find any that are in my price range. Do you think it's necessary with her, or do you think by the time she goes over the weight limit she'll be okay in a belt-positioning booster?

my problem with the seat she's in currently is that its' REALLY hard to tighten the straps and I never feel they are really snug the way they should be. Plus it's almost too wide.

for my younger DD:
right now she's in a cosco scenera, but it's one of the ones with the sharp points that are tearing up the belts. They aren't yet torn, but I dont' expect it'll be long before they are, so I want to replace hers too.
she's 22lbs and I'm not sure on her height, around 30" I think.
Should I get her another cosco? I do like the seat other than the points. Do the newer ones not have that? I plan on keeping her RF until she HAS to turn, which for her, may be around 2-2.5

Really I can't afford more than like $50-75 per seat and not at the same time, I'll ahve to buy them at different times, so which do I buy first?

Another problem, I really need seats that are narrow, like 17-18" wide. We're TTC right now, so in order to fit a third seat in our car eventually we have to get narrow seats.
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!
October 23rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
raelynn's Avatar Super Mommy
What seat is your older DD in? Is it a convertible that you could pass down to your younger DD? The newer Scenera's don't have the sharp points, so that's a bonus. I would also try calling Cosco and see if you can get a replacement, because this is a known issue and they need to take responsibility.

If you are able to move your younger DD into the convertible that your older DD is in, I would look into a Graco Nautilus. It will keep her harnessed for a very long time and then converts to a booster. They are $150, but if you only have to buy 1 seat, then you can put all the $ towards the one. I'm not sure the width on it though.

October 23rd, 2008, 11:05 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure the brand/name of the one my oldest is in, but we dont' plan on keeping it. i hate it. It's too wide and VERY hard to adjust the straps tight enough.

I ended up getting an Alpha omega elite. I looked at the Nautilus, but it's too wide and besides that, confusing. i'm sure if I actually read the instruction manual I could figure it out, but it looked too complicated. The Elite harnesses up to 50lbs, so at least that's better than 40.

I want to replace my younger DD's scenera with a newer one, cause I do like the seat otherwise.

I got suprised today when DH told me he got a check from work for his vacation fund so we were able to get a nicer seat!
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search