Just got the new Britax Boulvd. CS....and I'm havng regrets.

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Grateful~Gentle~Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been saving and researching convertable car seats since Caden was about 6 months old. He was in his Chicco KeyFit 30 from birth (as a very wee 6lbs leaving the hospital) until a few days ago...just shy of a year! He was comfortable in that seat but with winter coats and cloth diapers, the harness was too tight and restricting. I read the post about not wearing winter coats and I have been trying it but it is COLD here in Michigan. I've tried blankets, a bundle me, a light jacket and warm hat (which he refuses to wear) and I just think he has to wear a coat. I AM going to try to make him some sort of poncho thingy with polar fleece that I'm drafting in my mind but we'll see how that goes!

Anyways.....I had a hard time decided what to buy. I had about $200 and a 15% off coupon from BRU. So on Nov. 30 I was all excited to finally go get my seat because it was the first day I could use the coupon, LOL. I was counting down the days. It also happened to be our first bad snow storm that day. My mom was really freaked out about started her new job the next day because the drive was over an hour long. So at the very last minute she handed me her credit card and told me to just get the best seat. She would pay the difference and take it out of my Christmas presents. (Obviously I value my sons safety over xmas gifts ANY day!)

I went to BRU still undecided. I was here for 4 hours....I buckled all the seats onto the litle car bench they have set up. The Boulevard was very secure. It didnt budge when used with the latch system. The Evenflo was totally wobbly and could move from side to side easily, IMO.

I got the boulevard CS....but when the seat is intalled I can't even pull the strap, its impossible to get my hands in there.

The other issues I have are that Caden's head falls forward when he falls asleep. The crotch strap is still really short IMO. The seat isn't reclined much and those side impact wings seem really flimsy. Are they truly supposed to protect my child?

He just seems really uncomfortable in this seat. He stll screams as soon as he realized its time to get strapped in. He screams until he falls asleep and I hate it! I want him comfortable AND safe!

Should I return it and get the Decathalon or the Marathon? Or am I just being too picky...having buyers regrets? I DO feel like he is very safe and secure in this seat and I know it is intalled properly and I love the straps and the HUGS system.

</div>
December 5th, 2008, 06:36 AM
luvmyladybugs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
dropping in here... we are getting ready to make this purchase as well for Madison. I am looking at buying the Boulevard since we have had a great experience with Britax. With my oldest, we got her the Marathon and she's still in it and doing great. Even though the Marathon reclines some, her head still fell forward in the beginning so we just bought one of those positioners so that her head didn't fall forward. That worked out well.

What I like about the Boulevard is the side impact protection. I have read online reviews that state the crotch strap is a little short so I'm going to check that out before making a final decision.

I personally think you should give it a little more time for him to adjust. He's so used to his old seat and getting into a completely different one will take a little time to get used to. If you think he's absolutely not comfy and that it's not going to get better, then I say exchange the seat for another one. You definitely want him to be comfortable.

December 8th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I don't own a Britax, but I do own a Recaro Signo.. Did you look into Recaro before you made the decision on the Britax? I did lots of research before I bought a convertible car seat for my daughter.. I've had no problems with my Recaro.. If your still having buyers remorse, you should look into a Recaro Signo.. It's offers the same or even more protection the the Britax. If you are not familiar with Recaro, they've been making racing seats for Nascar and seats for expensive cars for almost 100 years. So they are vary familiar with safety. Recaro just started making convertible car seats a few years ago, that's why not to many people are familiar with the Recaro name.

And here's a video of a Recaro Representative talking about Recaro seats, all of them.. I posted this video to show you that Recaro is one of the best car seat (all automotive seats) makers in the industry..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak8bKYoq_Ok

and here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TugJAHctyuo

Here's a great reviews some left on this site..

http://www.elitecarseats.com/Recaro-Signo.pro

Quote:
I bought a RECARO Signo a year ago, for my 1-yr-old. This was my 2nd Recaro , 1st being a RECARO Young Sport , which I've owned for 5 years. I absolutely LOVE Recaro seats. I've compared a ton of seats, from Britax, to SAFEGUARD, to Eddie Bauer. I've taken both of my kids to the local store and strapped each one of the kids into each one of the seats. After much hands on research, I've concluded that currently there are NO seats that come close to the protection Recaro provide. Here is my take: Positives: 1. Unrivaled side impact protection. From head, to shoulders, to hips, to upper legs. Both of my kids, in their respective seats, have all of the side protection exactly were it needs to be, to be most effective in case of an accident. This is after multiple adjustments as the kids have been growing. 2. Besides having the side protection positioned where it needs to be, the seat provides a much better level of protection. To understand what I mean, go to your local store, get a seat of any brand, and using your hand and a bit of force, try flexing the side "wings" of the side protection. You'll see how flimsy other seats are. Recaros utilize a much stronger plastic that still allows some flex dissipating load forces during an impact. 3. Once the seats are installed they don't move an inch and I do mean no movement, not even a 1/16". It is easy to install them, as all the latch hardware is well designed and engages with a positive click when it locks. 4. If the seat is installed properly, when kids fall asleep, their heads DO NOT bob around and fall forward or to the side causing stretching and twisting of the neck. This is due to the positioning of the head restraint, as close to the head as possible. 5. The easiest seats to adjust the harnesses, or take off the cover to be washed. All the belts are easy to pull tight and release. The buckle is massive, easy to operate and has a very positive feel when it locks. Try changing the harness position on the Eddie Bauer seat or taking off the cover to be washed. I had the "pleasure" of trying to remove a cover on the Eddie Bauer seat. I had the whole seat apart to the point of unthreading all the belts (from their buckles), disconnecting the seat from it's base (this required tools) and still the cover wouldn't come off. After an hour I gave up and told them to get a different seat. I saw what the problem was but there was no way around it, other than cutting off straps that held the cover in place. 5. Wanting to keep my kids in a 5-point harness for as long as possible I found that Recaros provide one of the tallest back rests. I think that the only seat that'll let you keep a kid in a 5-point harness longer is a SAFEGUARD, but check out their prices and level of side protection. I will go to a real booster like a Recaro Start as soon as my oldest outgrows the 5-point harness. Negatives: It's a big seat and does take up a lot of room in the back seat. My wife can not install the seats on her own, but then again, she couldn't install any other seat. Other than that I can't think of any other negatives. Being as big as these seats are, they both fit with no problems in the back seat of our 3-series BMW, leaving enough space between them and on the sides for storage of kids' stuff. I did read that people had problems with the straps twisting. I'm not sure why but I hadn't encountered this problem. My buckles do twist around once in a great while, but it is an absolute breeze to straighten them out, as the slots in the buckles are a bit wider than in the other seats. I had a very tough time untwisting belts in a Britax and in an Edie Bauer seat, as their buckles are much more narrow. Take my advice for what it's worth. But after 5 years of using Recaros, the only reason I decided to spend my valuable time to share information with others is because these are truly outstanding products and I'm back to buy two more seats, for the grandparents.[/b]

December 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM
luvmyladybugs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just bought the Boulevard. I like it a lot. I tried other seats while we were there and this one just felt right for us. I discovered the same issue you said you had with not being able to reach the pull strap to for adjusting. What I did to remedy this problem was reach down to locate the pull strap and pull it up and out so that it is visible. Instead of pulling down on it, I just pull up and it works the same still and you still hear the clicking too. I hope I'm making sense here. If not, I can take some pictures to show you want I'm talking about.

December 26th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a Marathon that I have broken out a few times already for our niece and I really like it.
January 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM
AmandaR
I really love my Boulevard CS. I just put the strap that tightens the harness out from the seat and it stays there. I guess I don't understand what you mean by can't reach it. It installed very easily and Reagan loves it. I did have to use a head support for about a month though.

Also like PP said, I pull up not down.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search