CANT DECIDE???

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2009, 12:11 PM
Caden's MaMa 8-7-08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi. I was just recently in an auto accident, my son was in his Graco Snugride infant carrier, which was great! Well now that is out of commision my Mom bought us a Cosco Scenera car seat from Sears. It is an ok seat, I was planning on getting the Graco Comfort Sport, I think that was what it was called.
The only thing that worries me with the Cosco is that there is no padding in it whatsever, it just has the cover and the plastic shell. Is this an ok carseat to use? how are the safety and crash test ratings?
I was also given one thru our insurance company it is an Evenflo I'm not sure of the exact model right now, it is in my Moms car, but it is one of the cheaper ones, It has only a 1 piece chest clip and dosent seem to be padded either, the head part is just styrofoam or something. I put my son in the Evenflo and he dosent seem comfortable in it ,and he seems to like the cosco better, and I prefer it out of the 2 since it has more cushion in the seat cover and a 2 piece chest clip.

But which is better and is the cosco ok to use? I dont really want to spend a fortune on a new carseat and our budget is tight being a SAHM, but I do want my son to be safe.

Thanks!

TY for the siggies everyone!
February 1st, 2009, 12:18 PM
ITs an Evenflo Tribute 5..just the regular one, not the DLX i dont think

February 1st, 2009, 02:39 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The Cosco Scenera is just fine to use.

All car seats on the market today have had to pass the same safety testing and standards. The $45 Scenera passed the exact same tests that a $300 Britax passed.

I'm sorry about your accident.
February 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Thank you! Thats what I was thinking but I just wasnt too sure if it not having the EPS foam or whatnot was ok. He seems to like it just fine. The only complaint I have about it is it needing a couple rolled up towels to keep it level for RF.

February 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM
HunterandLandonsmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I have it in our secondary car. We love it.

February 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm mainly a lurker but wanted to say that yes all car seats pass the same "pathetic" tests to sell. HOWEVER not all seats are made the same. There are better seats then others. I am not particularily talking about this seat but again not all seats are made the same. Ask any car seat tech. There are ones that are safer then others

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

February 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
Quote:
I'm mainly a lurker but wanted to say that yes all car seats pass the same "pathetic" tests to sell. HOWEVER not all seats are made the same. There are better seats then others. I am not particularily talking about this seat but again not all seats are made the same. Ask any car seat tech. There are ones that are safer then others[/b]

What are the ones that are safest and built better?

February 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'm mainly a lurker but wanted to say that yes all car seats pass the same "pathetic" tests to sell. HOWEVER not all seats are made the same. There are better seats then others. I am not particularily talking about this seat but again not all seats are made the same. Ask any car seat tech. There are ones that are safer then others[/b]
The safest car seat is one that fits your car, fits your child, and is installed properly.
February 6th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Top 8 convertable car seats
http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/...onvcarseats.htm
these are ones that are recommended by more car seat techs then other seats. Stay away from "cheap" seats. Not to say that you have to spend 200 bucks on a car seat and it has to be a Britax kinda thing. But you do get what you pay for in many cases.
You want to look for seats that are sturdy, have EPS foam, Like this is a fairly good seat and is under 50 at Walmart!
Cosco Scenera 5-Point Harness Convertible Car Seat

You can always go to car-seat.org and check to see what others say about your car and what seats fit the best. Have a tech install your seat. Most seats can be installed in most cars (size is a factor though, big seats little cars kinda thing)

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search