Car seat dilema

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2009, 12:54 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My youngest has a port in his chest now. (A port is an access point for IV meds and blood draws, it is under the skin and is a more permanent access for long term use). Usually it is not left accessed (accessed is when the needle is in the port and fluids or meds can be given through or blood taken out) but when it is, we seem to have a problem with the harness straps pressing against the port site. We have an Evenflo Triumph Advance and I love the seat. I know we're going to have this problem with any seat, its just where the port is that causes this problem. But it bothers him ALOT when he's accessed and in his seat. The huber needle (the needle used to access) sticks out a bit, then add the dressing and you can visibly see this lump on his chest through his clothes. Any time its accessed and we have to buckle him in (currently Friday mornings through Monday mornings) he screams the whole time. I always adjust the harness everytime he goes in. And the scream sounds like a scream of it hurts or is uncomfortable. I have no clue how to safely solve this issue, and since this is going to be an issue for a while, I would really like to solve this problem. This only happens when his port is accessed. You can see the strap below the chest clip is pushing on the huber needle, which in turn pushes his skin up against the port itself.

Any suggestions?
February 12th, 2009, 05:30 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Traci, I posted this on a busier myspace group for you. The group is filled with car seat techs. Here is the link: http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseact...E9C1DCC11235765

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
February 12th, 2009, 06:01 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Traci, I also suggest asking over at http://www.car-seat.org because I'm not sure what the correct advice would be.

I hope Joey is doing well.
February 12th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Joey is, despite the fact that we can't go to continuation. I post all updates, even just day to day stuff on his caring bridge page (link in my siggy) so feel free to check on him anytime.
February 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Since the only reason they want to keep him accessed over the weekend is the off chance he will need a blood transfusion over the weekend (he's only had one) so that his chemo can be on schedule, we are going to have them de-access him after blood draws. Yes, it means they have to access him again on Mondays, and yes it means we give him oral zofran instead of IV Zofran before the chemo, but its not likely they will need to do any transfusions over the weekend (he only had one a week after his first treatment, his numbers have stayed pretty stable since). So instead we will have them de-access him after blood draws and then re-access him on Chemo days. If his numbers start to drop too much we will reconsider our choice then. He doesn't feel the huber needle when we use the Emla cream, so its not going to cause him pain to be accessed more often, where as leaving him accessed causes more pain and causes problems because it makes bathing him harder, it leaves a higher risk for infection, and he has already pulled it out once, whos to say he won't do it again.
February 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Traci, I wanted to share these two responses with you.

http://pediatrics.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...TtrainedPpl.asp

And

I’d take a look a a Radian, maybe put him in one & see if the positioning of the harness is better for him. www.skjp.com (then look for find store/product/whatever near you) The harness on it is slightly tighter together than most other seats. This *may* solve her issue.

If it doesn’t, there’s always a car bed, though I hate to suggest it for an older baby, most of them are 20lbs and under. I wouldn’t look at a Britax seat, as all of the harnesses are about the same. I’d look at buckets that go to 30lbs, because the harness on them is slightly smaller and, again, *may* be off of the port. Ie, the Chicco Keyfit, the Graco Safeseat Infant, etc.

The other thing I’d do is to ask the nursing staff if the port is causing bruising, which may be the cause of the objection. Could they be more gentle, try a different angle, etc. If bruising is the cause, she could put a thin piece of foam (and by thin, I mean 1/8 of an inch or so) between the harness & the baby. Not enough to cause compression, but enough to alleviate his discomfort.

HTH,
Ann, CPST

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
February 13th, 2009, 10:08 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ann, thank you for the wonderful response!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search