Safe products to use in cold weather?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2010, 04:38 AM
sweetmelissa's Avatar Live.Laugh.Love.
This Christmas we are driving to New York to spend 2 weeks visiting my dads family. My parents keep telling me the kids will need these huge jackets & I've already told them no (& listed the reasons).

But what would be safe for them to use? I believe its fleece jackets right? We lived in North Carolina last year so for the most part DS wore pants, and a long sleeve t-shirt or a onesie and was good. For DD we would put a warm blanket over her in the car seat. But I know New York will be much colder.

So for any moms with experience with really cold winter weather what do you suggest? I would like to start shopping for our trip in soon so I I'm not waiting until the last minute or braving the mall with 2 toddlers and one infant.
July 21st, 2010, 05:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It got pretty cold here when DD was born (april) I had a fleece snowsuit, then her carseat had an apron on it. I put a fleecy blanket over her before the apron and she was fine.

This winter she was 10 months in the coldest part, so I did the same, fleece pants and jacket, a blanket and the apron. Then when I got her out I put her snowsuit on over the fleece jacket and we were off. I never took the infant carseat out of the car.

July 21st, 2010, 05:37 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
In MA, I put my kids in long sleeve shirts, fleece jackets, and then covered them with blankets. If you have baby in an infant carrier, get a shower cap style cover and use it with blankets around baby. My girls were always sweating in that setup!

Remember that your car seat coats are not play outside coats. If we were out running errands and shopping, I didn't worry about the 2 minute walk from the car inside a place. I just snuggled them as close as I could to me, covered their faces from the wind, and walked fast. In fact, last year they only wore fleece jackets - I never bought a real winter coat for either of them.

July 21st, 2010, 05:40 AM
Alexa5
We had a pretty cold winter last winter, and on the coldest days I just used a fleece jacket for use in the carseat. Sometimes I also gave him a blanket to cover up with lightly (he seemed to enjoy it!). He mainly just liked it on his legs/feet.

I agree with the above....I didn't worry about the walks to and from the car. He was either wearing his fleece jacket or no jacket and was absolutely fine for that minute or two.

He got so little use out of his snow suit...we did have some snow so we used it then (2 times), but other than that we didn't use it at all.
July 21st, 2010, 06:20 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Let me find our our threads for you where we've previously talked about this.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ter-coats.html
July 21st, 2010, 07:29 AM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You could get them a big coat and just put it on backwards, over the harness in the car. NY is going to be really cold, espically if they're not use to it.

July 21st, 2010, 02:06 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Both my kids have always used fleece jackets, except in the infant seats, i didnt use any kind of jackets, since i just bundled them up with blankets instead.

I have a heavy jacket for DD, but it isnt used in the car, we put it on her only to go outside, or to and from the car, but never in the seat itself.

We have brutal chicago winters and i have never had a problem yet. Just make sure to warm your car up 10 minutes or so before hand, and the kids should be fine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search