Protecting from straps

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2010, 07:29 PM
Super Mommy
We have a Britax Marathon and Britax Roundabout. I have the Roundabout in my car, it doesn't have strap covers like the marathon does. My son is always complaining that it hurts when I tighten his straps- and its because because the side of the strap dig into his neck a little.

1. Am I tightening him incorrectly? The seat belt is at the correct height, but should it hurt him like that?

2. I thought I read somewhere that strap covers arn't safe - is that a myth? If it is a myth, I'd like to get him some strap covers to help protect his skin.

Thanks! Also, I was thrilled when I saw another parent at my sons daycare who is the same as my DS, and he was RF! All our friends and everyone we know had their child FF by age 1. My DS is 20 months, and hope to stay RF for awhile.

Thank you Misfitinmn for my signature!
July 23rd, 2010, 05:22 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You shouldn't use anything that didn't come with the seat, especially thick strap covers that will compress in an accident, leaving slack in the harness.

You can call Britax to see if they'll allow the use of harness covers that they manufacture (for their other seats) and purchase the covers through them.

Or you could make the parental decision to use the aftermarket strap covers, but you need to make sure they're the thinnest ones you can possibly find.

You could go to the fabric store and buy a small amount of fleece. Fleece doesn't compress. You could cut a rectangle, then get velcro that has a sticky back and place the velcro on the fleece to make your own harness covers.

Now, these are just ideas... and I'm not telling you to use an aftermarket cover, because move manufacturers don't allow this. It would have to be your own personal decision.
July 23rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Also maybe tighten his harness a smidge less. Sometimes I know that I tighten it too much for them but it looks good to me. Use the pinch test to see if it's tight enough. (Pinch the harness just above your DS's chest clip. If you can't grab any fabric, it is tight enough.)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search