Car seat safety when NOT in the car but on the bus and metro etc...

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2010, 02:30 PM
missmich
Ok so I don't actually drive,but I may get a travel system,you know the infant seat over the stroller thing and have some questions. I don't have a lot of experience using a travel system,just the stroller part and my main mode of transportation will be bus and metro.

Obviously my baby will be strapped into the seat whenever he's in it.

Does the seat snap onto the stroller and will it be secure? Or does it just fit lose over the top of it?

How safe is it to take the whole thing onto the bus? Will the seat get knocked off by to many passengers not paying attention?

Now how about escalators? They scare me when it comes to taking a stroller on them. They actually have a sign on them saying not use a stroller with them. Most people ignore it though. I think only one metro in my city has an elevator so far. I'm hoping to avoid the metro and change my route to bus only or just wear my baby if I can't. Is there a safer way to use an escalator with s stroller/travel system?

I haven't decided if I'm getting a travel system or a convertible seat yet either.
July 25th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Super Mommy
That's a tough decision!! If I was having a baby and needed to use public transportation, I would use an infant carrier and this: Graco SnugRider Infant Car Seat Frame #6001BCL1 - Travel Systems It's light weight and small when it's folded and you could hold the infant seat on your lap maybe?

I would also consider maybe just a sling unless you'll be using a taxi. I'm not quite sure of the safety of buses/trains/metros/etc. with car seats, but most do not have seat belts to hook into I don't think. Do they?

I'm sure someone else will have a better suggestion than me! LOL.

Thank you JMC1988 for my siggy!

July 25th, 2010, 06:23 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
I would never ever use a stroller on an escalator. If there is truly no other option, take baby out of the stroller, and then ride up/down. If there is an elevator, use it. Even stairs would be better than the escalator.

If you buy a travel system, the seat will snap into the stroller. I really don't know the safest option for riding on a bus/metro. If you use a taxi, then bring a car seat.

July 25th, 2010, 08:15 PM
missmich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacie23 View Post
That's a tough decision!! If I was having a baby and needed to use public transportation, I would use an infant carrier and this: Graco SnugRider Infant Car Seat Frame #6001BCL1 - Travel Systems It's light weight and small when it's folded and you could hold the infant seat on your lap maybe?

I would also consider maybe just a sling unless you'll be using a taxi. I'm not quite sure of the safety of buses/trains/metros/etc. with car seats, but most do not have seat belts to hook into I don't think. Do they?

I'm sure someone else will have a better suggestion than me! LOL.
A snap n go isn't really an option for me,it's nice and light weight,but I'd still have to take it onto the bus/metro in the same way as a stroller with the car seat on it. It would be to uncomfortable for me to hold the seat on my lap on the bus and fold the snap n go. It would also actually take up more space. I'd also be doing it all on my own and it wouldn't be easy to unstrap and fold and unfold and then where would I put my bags? If I have it folded then my bags can't be in the basket.

Busses and metros don't have seat belts or straps of any kind for anyone or for car seats. Just for wheel chairs. For those with strollers we just hold onto them or out the breaks on them. Those with bigger kids will sometimes fold them and have the kids sit on a seat. I've never had to use one with infant seat as well,just the stroller part and always held onto it while I stood or sat down.

If I can get a sling then I'll use that more often then the infant seat/travel system combo when I take the metro or bus. I don't see myself taking a taxi often. If I did then I could easily enough have the driver put the stroller in the back.
July 25th, 2010, 08:23 PM
missmich
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
I would never ever use a stroller on an escalator. If there is truly no other option, take baby out of the stroller, and then ride up/down. If there is an elevator, use it. Even stairs would be better than the escalator.

If you buy a travel system, the seat will snap into the stroller. I really don't know the safest option for riding on a bus/metro. If you use a taxi, then bring a car seat.

Yeah they scare me! The metro nearest to me has escalators that I'd need to take down to the platform as well as normal stairs. I want to avoid them both if I have a stroller. I'm surprised that for such a big city they have so many little options for the metro,I mean they are just getting around to adding an elevator at one big metro station. I guess the people in wheelchairs can't use the metro yet.

If I must take the metro b/c there isn't a bus only option I guess I'd have to carry they baby down the stairs on my own and hope that someone else is willing to carry the stroller and seat down for me. All the way down. Then have another person carry it all the way up when I arrive etc...
July 26th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Instead of relying on strangers, you could put baby in a sling and only bring the stroller portion of the travel system. Most of them fold flat for a newborn. Some strollers fold up better than others. If you went with a convertible car seat, you could get a different stroller that will be easier to transport on the metro since travel system ones can be monstrous lol.

July 26th, 2010, 06:52 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I probably wouldn't bank on relying on strangers to help you all the time. Most probably would help, but you'll run into those that won't help and I wouldn't want you to be stuck in a situation and not be able to do it all yourself.

As for the baby on the bus/metro, if you're not using a car at all I'd probably wear the baby instead of having them in the car seat. Public transportation is VERY safe, and most use compartmentalization. I'd find a light weight stroller than reclines and folds up pretty small. If you're going to wear the baby, you could probably get away with even taking a stroller on most trips. Just wear the baby and carry a backpack/bag.

As far as escalators, haha... I so put Izzie and the stroller on the escalator at Macy's in the mall. Their elevator is old as dirt and creepy I'm more worried about the elevator breaking down and us getting stuck in it than I am about my child getting injured on the escalator while she's in her stroller. I hold onto it 100% of the time and have it down to fine science When it's going up, I tip the stroller back onto it's rear wheels and roll it onto the step of the escalator and then rest the front wheels on a step above. When we're going down, I tip the stroller back onto it's rear wheels a little bit to wheel it on and just hang onto it until we get off. No big deal to me, it's not going anywhere. Of course not everyone is capable of doing this and I don't tell others to do it. But it's not an issue for me

If a place has an escalator, they must have an elevator too. It has to be handicap accessible. How would someone in a wheelchair get up and down to different levels? Look for the elevator.
July 26th, 2010, 09:15 AM
^I think it really depends on the stroller and the child. If I had Elise in an umbrella stroller and the elevator was decrepit, I would use the escalator. If I had an infant in a travel system stroller, I wouldn't. Or at the very least, take the baby out of the stroller before getting on the escalator.

July 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
missmich
Erica we don't have the option of elevators. Isn't that dumb? I mean I think at some stations they might have them,but you'd have to ask to use them and I think they are reserved for those in wheelchairs,but I'm not sure. I think I remember seeing only ONE person in a wheelchair in the metro over the past 8 years of living here. Though they are building one now at one of the main stations.

Any stroller I use on the metro or going up and down stairs I'd need help from someone. I tend to get a little dizzy when I go downstairs and need one hand on the railing.

I've seen tiny newborn babies in the smaller strollers and umbrella strollers but they don't seem very supported or protected in them. Should I be using some kind of head support in them?
July 26th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Things just seem really complicated for you. I'm sure you'll get it all worked out.
July 26th, 2010, 11:29 AM
missmich
A lot of people use the metro in my area with strollers and the infant seats on top of them. I've never done it before and worry the seat may fall off or something. Most of what I need to do in terms of shopping and banking and stuff can be done within a few blocks of my house. There are 2 places that are much further and I'd need to take the metro to.
July 26th, 2010, 11:54 AM
The infant seat is not going to fall off of the stroller if it's on there properly. That being said, you shouldn't take a baby up and down stairs in the car seat while it's on the stroller.
__bump
....|___bump
..........|___bump
................|___bump

July 26th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have no real advice for what is best for you but i just wanted to say i have a Graco travel system and the seat snaps into the stroller so it wont easily fall off.

July 26th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you know you're only taking the metro or bus, wear your baby. I've never seen a metro with an elevator, some don't even have escalators. If you're wearing the baby going up and down the stairs will be simple. If you know you are going somewhere you'd have to take a taxi, then bring your travel system. Life will be so much easier that way.

July 26th, 2010, 01:42 PM
missmich
Nikki they have been building an elevator at Lionel Groulx for a while now. I assume (but could be wrong) they are building one at another station as well.
July 26th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki. View Post
If you know you're only taking the metro or bus, wear your baby. I've never seen a metro with an elevator, some don't even have escalators. If you're wearing the baby going up and down the stairs will be simple. If you know you are going somewhere you'd have to take a taxi, then bring your travel system. Life will be so much easier that way.
This is exactly what I think too. No need to lug around more stuff than is necessary. Keep it simple.
July 26th, 2010, 02:49 PM
missmich
The one place I visit downtown every 2-3 weeks I'd have to have a stroller,so I can use the basket b/c I always come back with stuff. For now I can carry it but with a baby and even a small diaper bag it would be harder. I might be able to bring my rolling duffle bag though for my stuff.

Maybe I'm paranoid a little but every Winter I fall. I'm afraid of falling on icy sidewalks while wearing my baby. In Summer I'll probably wear the baby more often. I love baby wearing!
July 27th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I use the bus/train a lot and hated my travel system (It was my SIL) and just used my umbrella stroller from birth. I bought a fleece liner/apron as it gets cold here in winter, and a head hugger and she was fine. I stuck her sling in the basket and if the bus already had all the stroller section full, I folded it up and put her in the sling.

Also the escalators here are more like moving walkways than stairs, so no problem with the pram.

My umbrella buggy is the silver cross POP, its fantastic.

July 27th, 2010, 07:20 AM
stephie1012's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was gonna ditto Nikki but you dont think that will work. As long as the carseat and stroller are compatible, the seat should lock in. If you wont be riding in a car, why even bother bringing the carseat part?

July 27th, 2010, 10:19 AM
missmich
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephie1012 View Post
i was gonna ditto Nikki but you dont think that will work. As long as the carseat and stroller are compatible, the seat should lock in. If you wont be riding in a car, why even bother bringing the carseat part?
I like the extra security the baby gets when strapped into the infant seat. I don't think they can get that with the stroller unless they have a head support thing added to the stroller.

Also even if I do have a stroller I'd need help with the stairs and would still be terribly nervous on the escalator. Like VERY nervous. It's kinda hard to explain my escalator fears here.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search