Booster seat with lap belt?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some older cars only have a lapbelt for the middle of the backseat. Is it best to still use a booster seat? Or is the only point of a booster seat to raise the child to the right height for the shoulder belt to fit correctly? I kind of feel like a booster seat is less safe if the child is wearing a lapbelt.

This won't be an everyday occurrence, but I think my 5 year old daughter will occasionally be in this situation.

Thanks for any opinions or info!
Jess

July 27th, 2010, 09:47 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
A booster can NEVER be used with a lap belt only. The shoulder portion of the belt is what actually keeps someone restrained in a crash, not the lap belt. If you used only the lap belt, a child would simply fold in half from the force of a crash and cause internal injuries from the body pushing against the lap belt. The shoulder belt keeps that from happening.

A lap belt should really only be used with a RFing or FFing seat. No person should use one because it is just not safe.

July 27th, 2010, 09:54 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only time a lap only belt should be used is when installing a harnessing car seat. Never use a lap only belt for a child (or adult). Lap only belts also can not be used with boosters, it's clearly stated in the manual.

Your 5 year old must be in a booster *with a shoulder belt, and she can not ride in a lap only belt.

Last edited by ::er!ca::; July 28th, 2010 at 05:46 AM.
July 27th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was just looking around JM and found this post.

I agree and know that just a lap belt is not the safest for a child of anyone for that matter. I also know that no all cars have shoulder straps. Some don't have them in the middle, some cars only have lap belts in the back some cars don't have them at all. It depends on the age of the car. To say or think that everyone needs the latest and greatest car to be getting around is not right.

With that being said for your situation she needs to be put in traditonal car seat. I'm curious of the ages and stages of the others in the car and why this might only be happening occasionally so I might be able to help you find a solution for this.

July 27th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupcake74 View Post
I agree and know that just a lap belt is not the safest for a child of anyone for that matter. I also know that no all cars have shoulder straps. Some don't have them in the middle, some cars only have lap belts in the back some cars don't have them at all. It depends on the age of the car. To say or think that everyone needs the latest and greatest car to be getting around is not right.
I appreciate your post and the thought behind it. I understand that not everyone can afford to buy a new (or new to them) car that has shoulder belts. However the fact still remains that using a lap belt only IS unsafe for children in booster seats and those using only the belt. A booster CANNOT be used with a lap belt. There is no latest and greatest about it - it could be a matter of life and death.

July 27th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Yes I know and thats why this was also part of my post.

Quote:
With that being said for your situation she needs to be put in traditonal car seat. I'm curious of the ages and stages of the others in the car and why this might only be happening occasionally so I might be able to help you find a solution for this.

July 28th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Quote:
I was just looking around JM and found this post.

Everyone needs to be transported safely. That's the point of this board. We can not tell someone that it is safe to use a lap only belt, not even once a week. Not even for a 2 minute car ride.

Do you want to know what happened to my 5 year old cousin in December when she was riding in a lap only belt? Do you want to know that they were in a head on collision and because she was in a lap only belt she sustained life threatening internal injuries (a lacerated liver, and a torn valve on her heart). Do you want to know that her C1, C2, and C3 vertebrae were crushed, along with her spinal cord, and she's now a quadriplegic and will never recover. Because her C1, C2, and C3 vertebrae were crushed she has a trach to breathe and must learn how to talk again.

This is why I speak so firmly that it is not an option to put a child in a lap only belt, ever.

Last edited by ::er!ca::; July 29th, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
July 28th, 2010, 11:33 AM
WOW!!!!! I don't see how any of that can be seen that I said it was OK to be in a lap only belt because of the age of the car. I did say that she needs to be in a traditional car seat for that situation. I know that some people have to find ways to make what they have work and thats why I made my last statement. Hoping to help her find a way to make the situation safe for everyone in the car without her having to maybe go out and rebuy a traditional car seat.

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin, but the constant "Do you want to know" comes across with a tude. It takes away from what happened to your cousin and what this board is for. I am very familiar with what can happen to a child and an adult with a lap only belt.

July 28th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I never said that you said it was ok. I was telling you WHY I couldn't tell her that it's ok.

In your original response you were assuming that we were saying everyone had to have the latest and greatest car. We never once said that. We're giving her all of the information we have on why it can not be done. We don't want to leave anything out for others to read through the cracks, whether it be the OP or someone just lurking.

And my cousin's story doesn't take away anything from this board, several of us know for a fact that it helps get the point across as to why something isn't safe. You don't have to have that same opinion, that's fine.

Anyway, I'm moving on. I've said all I can say on why a lap only belt can't be used for anything other than installing a harnessed car seat. It's up to the OP to make her own parental decision based on the information that we've provided her.

Ta-ta
July 29th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Sorry to have caused trouble.

July 29th, 2010, 12:14 PM
^You didn't cause any trouble! You asked a question you needed an answer to, and I think you got an answer. Don't worry about getting us worked up about car seats.

July 30th, 2010, 06:36 AM

August 5th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had no idea....although a rather confrontational posting.. I had no idea about lap only belts, so thanks for the heads up!!!!!!!!!!!

August 9th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Super Mommy
There is something called an Ez-On 86Y Universal Harness. It was made for just this type of thing:
Ez-On 86Y Universal Harness

Quote:
The E-Z-ON 86-Y harness is certified for use with an attached tether and lap belt for passengers from 40 to 168 lbs. Smaller children 40 to 50 lbs are encouraged to a booster seat with the harness. You can use ANY booster with this harness, the booster MUST be used from 40-65 pounds, but the booster MAY be used as long as a child properly fits in the booster.

It's also important to note tether weight limits: this harness can't be used in a Honda for example without the special tether kit that comes with the harness installed. Honda tether limit is 40 pounds.
Please make sure to read your vehicle manual, your booster manual and the manual that comes with the EZ-On. There are some vehicles, like mine (F150 extended cab) where this harness would not be good to use.

Hope this helps!

CIM 04/18/05 & OTM 02/19/09

August 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^^That looks pretty interesting but the problem is that for this situation, if the car doesn't have the shoulder belt, then it probably won't have the tether either.

Agie

=May '05 and '11

August 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Super Mommy
Depending on the car, you can have the tether retrofitted. You can call the dealer of your vehicle and have one put in. Also, if you look at the website and the requirements for this harness, it talks about the tether:

Quote:
Factory installed tether anchors can be used 66-80 lbs (unless other wise directed by the owner’s manual). For 80-168 lbs. the E-Z-ON tether kit must be installed.
Tether kit is included with the harness. I would find out from the manufac. of this harness if you can use the tether that comes with the harness for children who are lighter then 80 pds. (I don't see why not, but you never know). Then you would only have to have this tether installed into the vehicle.

CIM 04/18/05 & OTM 02/19/09

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search