Need Help Choosing a Seat-Please Help

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2010, 11:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
HI All. So I could really use some help in choosing a proper car seat for our baby boy. We have a baby due in November and I have been shopping around I'm just not sure what to go with. I was thinking of going with a convertible car seat, just because it seems more practical to have something the baby can grow with a little more, so I'm not too interested in an infant seat.

I had one car sear that I had possibly picked out, it was the Safety 1st Complete Air Convertible Car Seat . I like the idea behind this and all, but when I saw it in person, it just does not appear to be very appealing for a rear facing infant, just seems to be too hard in general and doesn't look like it would be comfortable at all.

So I guess what I'm asking is for opinions on the Safety first, but also would really love some suggestions from ya'll on a good car seat to get, things have changed so much since I last had a baby, so I'm just not sure what I should go with. Some info that may help: I drive a mini van, so need something that would be able to work well in that type of vehicle. Also I need something that is going to be no more than $200 dollars, preferably a little below.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions you can offer.

Thank you Kara for my gorgeous siggy!

Dylan Vai Moses born October 26th @ 3:40 pm
9 lbs 22 inches
August 4th, 2010, 05:22 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Welcome to CSS!

Many convertibles on the market are geared towards newborns, but in reality, there are only a handful that will actually fit an itty bitty baby. The lowest shoulder harness slot is too high in some convertibles. Some seats to avoid for newborns are the Safety First Complete Air and all Britax convertibles. It is very unlikely that your baby boy will fit in the Complete Air at birth, so I would not buy it.

However, there are many convertibles that are perfect for a newborn. These are the Combi Coccoro, Evenflo Triumph Advance, Graco MyRide, Learning Curve True Fit (and True Fit Premier), all Sunshine Kids Radian seats, Cosco Scenera, and Evenflo Symphony. All of these seats except the Radians are under $200, and you can sometimes find the Radian 65 under $200.

HTH!

August 4th, 2010, 06:36 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
We have the Safety 1st Complete Air and a First Years True Fit Premier. At 8 weeks, about 11 lbs and fairly tall my baby still doesn't fit in the Complete Air. She does fit well in the True Fit. In fact we have to take out some of the infant padding already, so that seat would be good for a newborn (we didn't first put her in there til 6 weeks or so). Hope that helps you some. I've also heard lots of good things about the Graco MyRide, which I think retails for about $150. I got my True Fit Premier for $200 and I think the regular True Fit is a little less than that.

August 6th, 2010, 11:03 AM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just got a True Fit Premier and I loooove everything about it! It's a great seat :>

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search