Question about replacement chest harness for rear facing seat

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2010, 07:57 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
We just bought a Safety 1st OnBoard 35 carseat and LOVE IT, except, except, except the freaking chest harness. It's one of those push button ones, and the button you push is SO hard to press down and release the harness. I was ready to just live with it, but I really don't want to, it's irritating and if there's an emergency, I see problems...

I had a Graco snugride with DD and didn't mind their harness latch (it's one that you squeeze together from the top and bottom to unclasp and that is MUCH easier for me). In my genius, I thought of removing it from the Graco and changing it to the new carseat, but then I realized, DUH, if the graco is expired, so is the buckle...

I saw a universal car seat harness on Amazon, but there was no mention of safety.

Is there a universal harness (possibly like the Graco kind where you squeeze it together instead of press a stupid little button) I can get that meets safety standards? Or a website where I can look at a few of them?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
August 8th, 2010, 08:18 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, you can't do that. You need to use the chest clip that came with the seat, or one from the manufacturer for that seat that they specifically tell you is approved for that seat. Don't put an after-market chest clip on it; and don't use a Graco chest clip on the Safety 1st seat.

I really think you'll get used to the chest clip, it's just not what you're used to so it will be a little bit of a learning curve.
August 9th, 2010, 05:06 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
If anything, you have to call Safety 1st and see if they have replacement chest buckles that will work with your seat. Do not replace any parts on the seat with any that are not approved by the manufacturer.

If that doesn't work, what about returning the OnBoard Air and getting a Graco Snugride 35?

August 9th, 2010, 05:41 AM
mommabirdof4
Also we have had a few car seats that had chest clips that were hard to open at first but after a month of so of use the clips got easier to open. So it may just take a little use for it to loosen up.

You can always call Safety 1st and talk to them about it.
August 9th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Clay's Apex was like that in the very begining. It should get easier to open and shut after a little bit of time. GL!
August 9th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Super Mommy
Just keep practicing with it. Loosen it up by opening and closing it while you're watching TV or something. You'll get used to it.

Thank you JMC1988 for my siggy!

August 9th, 2010, 10:11 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Thanks, ladies! I really like this seat, so we'll just practice with it I've looked at most all of Safety 1st car seats, and they all have the same sort of buckle, so I doubt they'd have something I'd like better Sigh. I can't find something I like 100%, but this was the closest!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
August 9th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Clay and Carson's mommy
It is def. the less easiest to get used to. (I have a Safety 1st Apex,Graco comfortsport,and 3 Britax seats) But, as I said, just keep practicing,and you'll get the hang of it

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search