When to?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Amanda
When do you decide to forward face?

August 10th, 2010, 04:10 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
For me, the girls will FF when they hit the weight limit of the their seats (we have a 40lb and 45lb seat) or around their 4th birthday. On long trips of 3.5+hrs, our older DD who is 2y7m FFs so she can watch a movie. However, the trip has to be longer than to my sister's, hence the 3.5hrs, and this happens 1-2 times a year.

August 10th, 2010, 07:31 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Between 3-4 years old, when their rear facing seat is outgrown.

The rear facing seat is outgrown when one of these two things happens (whichever happens first)
*The weight limit is met
*There is only 1 inch of car seat shell above the child's head

Isabel is still rear-facing at 26 months, she's in a Graco My Ride 65 that has a 40 pound rear facing limit (65 pounds forward facing). I love the seat. She'll rear face for a minimum of another year, but hopefully longer.

The law is just bare minimum, and really no longer safe. Many studies have shown that children are 500% safer rear facing than forward facing. The American Academy of Pediatrics how suggest a minimum of 2 years before turning forward facing.

Is Maddi rear facing still?
August 10th, 2010, 07:55 AM
~Allison~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We turned Aaden FF at 22 months. It was becoming too much of a struggle to get him in his seat when it was RF, so we made the decision it was time to turn him. He still gives us struggles, but not nearly as often as he did before.

August 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Javier just turned 2 and is still RF he will be for atleast another year possibly until hes 4, hes tiny and we have a Myride.

August 10th, 2010, 09:27 AM
smileybrea's Avatar ♥ Proud Doula & CPST ♥
Cohen will be RF until he outgrows his seat or around 4. He is in the Safety First Complete Air so he has until 40lbs and if he is still able to RF at 4, we will re-evaluate and consider turning him around.

Did you know that 95% of children are not properly restrained in a vehicle?
Make sure your child is not one of them!

August 10th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Clay and Carson's mommy
The rear facing seat is outgrown when one of these two things happens (whichever happens first)
*The weight limit is met
*There is only 1 inch of car seat shell above the child's head

This is our rule too.
Carson is just as of yesterday officially no longer to RF in his marathon.
He is 4 years and 2 months old.
August 10th, 2010, 10:39 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I turned Julian, and he is 30 months....and I am turning him back
August 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
babybuckeyein2008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I turned Rylinn around 22 months also...I couldn't even get her in her car seat she screamed cried and acted ridiculas. As soon as I turned her she gets in with no problems..I'm happy with how long she rear faced and feel she is very safe FF now.
August 10th, 2010, 03:30 PM
sweetmelissa's Avatar Live.Laugh.Love.
We will turn then FF when they have reached the RF weight limit or they have less then an inch of shell above their head.

My son got turned a little after his 2nd birthday because he was 35lbs (& his seat has a 35lb RF limit). At 2 and a half he is 36lbs now.

My daughter is 18 months old and just hit 19lbs. She will RF until she hits the 40lb RF limit on her seat or there is less then 1 inch of shell above her head. But at the rate she is going at she'll be RF until she's at least 3.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search