Car seat on grocery cart

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
sweets's Avatar Super Mommy
Is it safe to put the carseat right on to the grocery cart? I was trying to figure out how to go grocery shopping and my playroom ladies suggested this. I know I have seen people doing it when I used to go shopping. I looked online and a site I found said it is not safe.

I am pretty sure that the grocery stores in my town have a few carts with built in infant seats so I am thinking that would be better?

----------------------------------------
Kylie (37), DH (35) Married since September 5, 2009
DD Chloe born at 28 weeks on April 10, 2010.
August 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm not answering your question, but have you considered a sling or other baby carrier? I have found that it is really easy to put Claire in the Moby Wrap or Hotsling for grocery shopping...less people touching her, more room in the cart, and she usually sleeps through the whole thing.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

August 12th, 2010, 04:14 PM
smileybrea's Avatar ♥ Proud Doula & CPST ♥
It is not safe. A lot of babies get injured this way because the cart was not designed to hold a car seat and the car seat was not designed to be put on a shopping cart. You can put it in the basket part but it takes up the whole basket sort of defeating the purpose. You can babywear like PP said. An alternative would be to get a cart cover or bring blankets and lay baby down in that portion of the cart until baby is strong enough to sit up. If you put the plastic part they normally sit on up, then the leg holes are covered and your blankets or cart cover offer padding and a clean spot to lay down.

Did you know that 95% of children are not properly restrained in a vehicle?
Make sure your child is not one of them!

August 12th, 2010, 04:30 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Please don't put the infant seat in the carriage where a child would sit! It makes the carriage incredibly top heavy and it can tip, potentially injuring your baby. A PP suggested putting the carrier in the big part, which means you have less room for groceries. I personally wore my babies when they were that little so I would have them nice and close and still be able to shop.

I think that the carriages with built-in infant seats are better than putting the car seat there. If you're worried about the ick factor, bring a blanket to put under baby and wipe down the seat with a wipe before you use it.

August 12th, 2010, 04:38 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, it's not safe.

I would consider buying a baby wrap or carrier so you can wear your baby while grocery shopping. Or if you have someone go with you, one can push the stroller and the other can push the shopping cart.
August 12th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Super Mommy
I've always put my carriers in the big part of the cart and pulled another or pushed a stroller and pulled the cart. Works for me! I'd never put my carseat where kids can sit or at resturants when the highchairs are flipped upside down. I thought I was just paranoid.

Thank you JMC1988 for my siggy!

August 12th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Shopping carts used to have metal "loops" at the top of the child seat so an infant seat could clip on to them, but I've noticed lately that newer shopping carts either moved the loops so they can't be used for that purpose, or removed them entirely. I especially like Target's all-plastic setup - there is NO WAY to put an infant seat into the child seat without it feeling wobbly, even to the most unobservant person. I see way too many people just balancing their infant seat on top of a child seat without even trying to hook it in to those loops... Scary.
August 13th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Taramomof3's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
no it is not safe, shopping carst are not ment to hold an infant seat and can fall off, this happend to a friend of mines baby when she was heading into the store the sidewalk was a little unlevel fromt he road and when she hit it the cart stoped but the infant seat kept going and fell to the gorund!!! her baby wasnt hurt thankfully but it scared the crap out of us! I would recomend a baby sling or carrier. The way I do it is have my oldest (4) walk beside me holding onto the cart and helping me, my 22 months old sitting in the seat of the cart buckled and my 11 months old in my moby wrap. I have never put the infant seat in or on the cart ever.
I noticed you are in Alberta, where abouts are you? I have a snugli carrier that I don't use.

Brianna Eve (09/12/09) Dillan Zarek (07/20/06) Chase Alexander (10/04/08)

August 13th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
to all of the above

I was at Target today,and saw, I don't know, probably close to 20 infant carseats on grocery carts.. The ones that were on the same aisle as I was, I let them know that it was not safe.
August 13th, 2010, 03:35 PM
sweets's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for all the tips. I am glad I looked into if it was safe or not and didn't just rely on the fact that "everyone" seems to be doing it in the stores.

I think I will try to put her in the "built in" infant seat that our grocery stores have. I will for sure wipe it down and maybe take a receiving blanket to put behind her to keep germs off her.

When I get more comfortable with wearing her (mostly due to her freaking out whenever I put her in the carrier) that is something i will try. Tara, I am in Athabasca (North of Edmonton). I do have a Snugli (which Chloe is not too keen on yet) so hopefully that will work soon. Thank you for the offer

----------------------------------------
Kylie (37), DH (35) Married since September 5, 2009
DD Chloe born at 28 weeks on April 10, 2010.
August 15th, 2010, 09:21 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto the wrap or the sling (not a snugli.....the wraps/slings seemed to be better for me and my boys when they were smaller) over other optiosn.......

Any chance you could use grocery shopping as "me time"? Eric and I used to do it on date night. Gave us two hours of no kid time and we accomplished a household chore together.

Laying her down ins another option. Even now, at 18 months, Henry will have a bottle in the cart and I'll lay him down in the seat (I still use a cover).

August 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM
smileybrea's Avatar ♥ Proud Doula & CPST ♥
Quote:
Originally Posted by melandherboys View Post
The ones that were on the same aisle as I was, I let them know that it was not safe.
What kinds of reactions do you get when you do this? I don't hesitate to talk to people when I see misuse but for some reason, this is something I just haven't touched yet.

Did you know that 95% of children are not properly restrained in a vehicle?
Make sure your child is not one of them!

August 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Taramomof3's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweets View Post
Thanks for all the tips. I am glad I looked into if it was safe or not and didn't just rely on the fact that "everyone" seems to be doing it in the stores.

I think I will try to put her in the "built in" infant seat that our grocery stores have. I will for sure wipe it down and maybe take a receiving blanket to put behind her to keep germs off her.

When I get more comfortable with wearing her (mostly due to her freaking out whenever I put her in the carrier) that is something i will try. Tara, I am in Athabasca (North of Edmonton). I do have a Snugli (which Chloe is not too keen on yet) so hopefully that will work soon. Thank you for the offer
no probelm I am in Millet I have a Moby wrap that I use for Brianna she loves that much more then snugli. maby a moby or other sling would be better?

Brianna Eve (09/12/09) Dillan Zarek (07/20/06) Chase Alexander (10/04/08)

August 16th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileybrea View Post
What kinds of reactions do you get when you do this? I don't hesitate to talk to people when I see misuse but for some reason, this is something I just haven't touched yet.
Sometimes, I'm completey ignored, and looked at as if I have 2 heads.
But, most of the time, I just say 'excuse me, I just wanted to let you know that these carts are not made to safely hold the seat' And the mom, or whoever will say 'oh, really? thank you, I did not know that'
Hey, who's to say they ever DO anything about it, but, atleast they have been told kwim?
August 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
mommabirdof4
Not safe and WAY to many times I see the baby in the car seat and their poor little heads are lower then the rest of their body. ugh!!...hello how can that be comfortable for them. Plus way to many times I see screaming babies in the baby bucket with the parents not paying attention.

I just use a carrier (Moby,Ergo, or a ring sling) until they are old enough to sit in a cart. JoJo went to walmart at 3 days old in a buckle mai tai!!! If I am going alone with both kids I still will wear either kiddo while the other is sitting in the cart.
August 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Yeah, we wear the babe, or the babe rides in the basket part of the cart in the carseat.
August 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
The first time we took the baby out to Target together DH tried to balance the car seat up there and I told him no way. I could see how unstable it was. I usually wear her in a Baby K'tan carrier because she's not too keen on staying in her carseat in the big part of the cart. Today at Target I did see an infant seat slip while balancing on the cart, luckily the mom caught it!

August 16th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
^^ I have seen that SO many times...
August 16th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use my Ergo or I put the carseat in the big part of the cart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search