Britax

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a friend whos swearing to me i should get a Britax instead of the Complete Air am pretty sure we've decided upon... she swears its the best and safest and has the best features etc... it doesnt really seem like they have too many different features then other cheaper seats so are there hidden benefits to Brit's that i'm not seeing? (Okay i know they have a higher weight limit but i'm not really concerned with that)

August 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You are going to get a lot of people agreeing with you on this board. All seats have to pass the same minimum testing and almost nobody publishes any test results beyond that. So all we know is all of the seats passed the same testing.

Personally, I am getting a new Britax (they just came out with new versions- I'm getting the Boulevard 70), so I'll share why I am getting one. I like that the new seats are steel re-inforced. I work in product design and based on what I have seen in testing it makes me feel better. I love how easy they are to install. The main thing for us though is that it fits perfect in DH's smaller car which we have struggled to find a seat that fits well. Also, since DH has to move the seat between his car and extended cab truck I wanted one that tethers RFing. So, that is why I am choosing one. (Only Sunshine Kids and Britax allow tethering for rear facing- so that's a safety feature.) The new seats have a cool head rest that is supposed to cradle the head in a crash- I think it looks like a great design.

I have a Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL in my car, and if it would fit in DH's car, I would probably get another one of those. (Again, a steel reinforced, RF tether allowed seat.)

I do have to say, I think the CAs look pretty nice, and after the two I have and a True Fit Premier, they would probably be one of the next ones I would consider.

I'm curious to see what others say.

Thank you Vicki for my siggy!
August 21st, 2010, 05:49 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A $50 seat is just as safe as a $350 seat as long as both are used properly. A lot of manufacturers use fancy marketing terms to lure parents into buying their seat, specifically Britax with their "True Side Impact Protection" (just one example).

I, personally, will NEVER own a Britax convertible seat. I know that there are many other seats on the market today that offer the same features (and often times MORE) than what a Britax seat can offer.

There are some people who are brand snobs and feel that something that costs the most is the best, when that's simply not the way it works.

At the end of the day you need to buy a car seat that fits your child, your vehicle, and your budget... and a seat that you will use properly 100% of the time. If you follow that criteria then you're child will be as safe as can be

The Safety 1st Complete Air is a very nice seat, many members here have them.
August 21st, 2010, 06:58 PM
MamaToARockStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i just have to say that i LOVE my CA!i wouldnt even consider buying a britax honestly,there just too expensive,and your not getting anything more for your money besides the label.i have the CA LX and i think it has all the same features as a britax,alhtough i could be wrong.

August 21st, 2010, 07:18 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
Well, I'm going to throw in my two cents. I wouldn't buy anything now BUT a Britax. Call me a brand snob or whatever you want! It's not about that. For me, it's about the ease of use. Britax is so, so user friendly. For an infant seat we had the Graco SnugRide32. It takes me all of about 30 seconds to install the base of the SnugRide32. I loved it! The same goes for the Britax seats. Convertible seats are always going to be more of a hassle than just a base b/c they are bulky but for a big 'ole seat, our Boulevard sure is easy to install. We are a military family and live in MO while our family lives in GA. We decided to get a second seat to keep in GA so we wouldn't have to take a seat back and forth. The MyRide65 had great reviews and since we loved our Graco infant seat we got it. I HATED it. It was a PITA for me to install, I couldn't figure it out. I'm bad at directions... none of it was self explanatory in my eyes. Not the seat for me. I took it back and ordered a Marathon. We are happy. You have to do what is best for YOU and YOUR family. Maybe go in to BRU and play around with some of the car seats first and see what you like before you buy them!

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

August 21st, 2010, 07:34 PM
I wasn't calling anyone specifically a brand snob, I wasn't even referencing anyone here. Don't take it personally. I was just stating that there are some people like that and swear that it's the only way to go when they haven't even tried anything else. You clearly had tried other seats, and finally found what works for you. That's great. Like I said in my post, that's what is most important.
August 21st, 2010, 10:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was a Britax brand snob until I ventured out and bought another brand, we have a Chicco KeyFit and a True Fit Premier.

I was under the impression that Britax was the best because it was so expensive when that really wasn't the case. Yes they are VERY user friendly and they do install so easily but for me they don't suit my needs. I have a RA50 and Summer (who is petite at 32 inches and 20lbs and she is 2 in 3 weeks) is SO SO crammed in that seat rear facing.

I really like my TFP and I am so glad I took the plunge and bought something else.
August 22nd, 2010, 04:44 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
I am with Erica. The most expensive seat does not mean it is the "best". The best seat is the one that works for you,your children, your budget, your car.

I do not feel Britax offers something special that no other seat offers. Yes, they are easy to install, but I can install a Radian XTSL or EFTA in my Jeep in under a minute. Yes, they are steel inforced and offer RF tethering, neither of which are proven to be safer. Yes, they do offer some cute covers, but that's not important safety wise .

When I look for a new seat, I look for what is going to suit my needs at that time and the near future. Before I bought my last seat, I was looking for a seat with a high RFing limit (40lbs+) and a high FFing limit (65lbs+) so it would be the last seat I bought before boosters. The only seat that fit that criteria that my older DD fit in was the Radian XTSL, so I got it. If we need to buy another seat, it will probably be a Graco Nautilus since it is more budget friendly than the comparable Britax Frontier 85.

When the price of a Britax is mentioned, some people retort with "well, isn't your child(ren) worth it?". ABSOLUTELY. But if your budget is limited, you can't buy the most expensive seat when the one that's half as much is just as safe. Until proven otherwise, I will stand by that statement.

Maybe I'm an anti-brand snob. I just don't feel Britax is the leader in the car seat market. I don't think any brand is right now - they're all vying to get the newest features that appeal to the masses.

ETA: If you look at the specifications of many seats and brands and decide to buy a Britax, that's cool in my book. I just don't want people to think that the ONLY brand is Britax. If your love for Britax is founded out of research and testing out seats, then you've done your job. If your love of Britax is simply because it's the most expensive and must be the best, then you haven't done your job.

ETA2: If you buy a Britax for a newborn just because you HAVE to have a Britax, you need to rethink your decision. Your desire for a product is now more important than baby's safety. (For lurkers, Britax convertibles are not suitable for newborns.)

Last edited by amylynne01; August 22nd, 2010 at 04:49 AM.
August 22nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
I am with Erica. The most expensive seat does not mean it is the "best". The best seat is the one that works for you,your children, your budget, your car.

ETA2: If you buy a Britax for a newborn just because you HAVE to have a Britax, you need to rethink your decision. Your desire for a product is now more important than baby's safety. (For lurkers, Britax convertibles are not suitable for newborns.)
I agree with most of what you've said. I think it's great there are so many seats available to fit so many situations. For example a lot of people were upset about some of the design changes with the new Britax seats (mostly the RFing height being ~1" lower) but, that's what makes the seat work great for what we needed (well, the smaller footprint front to back to be specific.)

For Lurkers from what I have read the NEW Britax seats with the separately available infant insert should work for most newborns. So, if someone has done their research and wants a Britax, they may still be able to use one of the new convertibles safely. I would read up on this though- since I don't know anyone who actually has one.

I do think there is a bit of anti-Britax bias here- so I'm just trying to balance. I do think that RF tethering in an extended cab pick-up is probably a good idea. If I didn't have to worry about that I would look at other seats and the CA would be one of my top considerations.

Thank you Vicki for my siggy!
August 22nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
I don't think any of us here are anti-Britax. We all know and say that they are great seats if that's what you choose to go with. Where you think it is anti-Britax, what is actually is is that Britax does not fit the needs of the majority of members on this board with their convertibles. Most of us wanted and needed a 40 pound rear facing seat, which Britax is just now coming out with. They're way late on that train. Most of us also want optimal leg room since we plan to keep our children rear facing as long as possible, and Britax completely misses the train on that aspect.

So don't confuse our needs for something that Britax doesn't offer with us being anti-Britax, because we're not anti-anything as long as it's safe.
August 22nd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Speaking as someone who has owned almost every brand out there. Evenflo,Cosco,Safety 1st(that's cosco too),Graco,and Britax. I have to say that my first choice is Britax,BUT that is not at all because I feel it is THE best. It's because out of all of them, for my car,I get the best install with Britax.
I used to think Britax was the best.. now, I know that is not true. Are there crappy seats out there? Absolutely! But, I think Erica said it best when she said:
At the end of the day you need to buy a car seat that fits your child, your vehicle, and your budget... and a seat that you will use properly 100% of the time. If you follow that criteria then you're child will be as safe as can be

This is all that matters to me as well
August 22nd, 2010, 12:56 PM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Well.... for us it was what we could get the *best* install with. Working with a Plymouth Neon, when we got his convertable the original Britax Roundabout (the 40) was the best option for us, as it was small.

When he went forward facing we were already in love with the roundabout, and just bought a Marathon.

And now we own a Britax Frontier.

We did have a Graco snugride prior to the Britax's though, and I LOVED that seat as well.

For us, it HAD to have a good install, and when we tried other seats (like the Nautilus) and it didn't work for us, it was nice to be able to have more options. For us the cost wasn't a factor in the seat we got though. Also, it HAD to be comfortable for him. With DH being military we travel ALL THE TIME and spent a lot of time in the car and stuff, so it had to be comfy for the little guy. Britax seats are awesome at that.

Like everyone else said.... You need to get what you can get a good install in, and whats a good fit for your child.

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

August 22nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
I wasn't calling anyone specifically a brand snob, I wasn't even referencing anyone here. Don't take it personally. I was just stating that there are some people like that and swear that it's the only way to go when they haven't even tried anything else. You clearly had tried other seats, and finally found what works for you. That's great. Like I said in my post, that's what is most important.
We've had this discussion before, and that's not what I meant, at all! I don't take offense to anything you have to say. I totally understand every word you said to her and totally agree! Even I said just b/c I like Britax doesn't mean she should. I said she should play around with seats in the stores and see what she likes best for HER family. For me, it isn't about the name or the price tag. It's about the ease of use. For me, it's worth it to pay that extra however much. For others they think that's ridiculous and they are fine with taking the extra time to figure out a seat and learning how to use it. I am SOOO not mechanical never have been. And my husband... well, when it comes to Maddox and carseats/strollers, etc he's all "here honey, you do it." So, to me, it's worth it every dollar for the ease of use. Maddox is also a large boy at 26 lbs & 33.5" at 17 months. He has average length legs and a longer torso and he is still not squished RF'ing. That may become an issue later on... but if it is, we will deal with it later. We have his seat pretty reclined as I find he looks more comfy that way. Later on, we may purchase one of the newer Britaxes or a Radian XTSL depending on his growth. But, like I said, you did not offend me in the least and there was no need to defend yourself.

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

August 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
For Lurkers from what I have read the NEW Britax seats with the separately available infant insert should work for most newborns. So, if someone has done their research and wants a Britax, they may still be able to use one of the new convertibles safely. I would read up on this though- since I don't know anyone who actually has one.
What I said was pointed at the older style convertibles. I don't know enough about the newer ones to say otherwise. I have *heard* that they are still not newborn friendly but haven't looked at the measurements myself.

I feel like I need to go try a Britax install because I want to experience this easy install! I haven't had my hands on one since my DD1 was itty bitty, and she's 2.5. Is it really that much easier than any other seat?

August 22nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks all!

August 26th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
This is the quote for the win.

CIM 04/18/05 & OTM 02/19/09

August 26th, 2010, 12:48 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
As a mom who owns 2 of each, i have 2 MA and 2 CA, i can honestly say i like them both equally. Each has certain features that i love, but lack features that i love.

I love that my MA have locking clips on the seat, it really helps get a super tight install. But i love that My CA have a nice tall shell ( yes i can tell the difference between the 2 seats, especially with my 2 1/2 year old) She will def. outgrow the MA before the CA, but neither will be for a while. I love that the CA has the no rethread harness, but hate that the straps seem to get twisted so easily, ive never had strap issues with the MA.

So yea, as far as comfort goes, both of them seem equally as comfortable. Obviously the CA has head wings, but they really dont do anything in just the day to day sitting in the seat.

I agree go with what you want, and what you think will work best for your family.
August 26th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isca View Post
This is the quote for the win.
I second that!

We have a Dodge Neon and Ram. While our SS1 works in the Ram baby is getting to heavy to carry in the seat. So we decided to use that as a convertible in the Neon and got a Marathon for the Ram. The MA works perfect for the truck. While it fits in the car when I decided to get him a true convertible for the car we are getting a MyRide65. My DH and I are doing a class where we get each will get an Evenflo Titan. One will be going in my mom's car and the second will be our back up seat.

made by BAM

September 2nd, 2010, 01:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think Britax seats must be one of the only baby items that are cheaper in Europe than in the US. Here you can buy the Britax convertible (with an adjustable crotch strap and NB insert) for less than many other brands. And because the Maxi-cosi brand is more expensive, people tend to think they are better seats. Its all part of their marketing strategy.

I have a Britax 1st class plus, BUT only after trying 5 other seats in our car and finding it the best and easiest fit. The ERF limit is a bonus and the colourway/head adjustment/comfort is a plus too.

(I also bought my seat in a half price promotion, so I am thrilled with it!).

I didnt like the britax infant carrier as it was far too upright a fit in my car, so we went with a keyfit 30.

September 2nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
superwoman8977's Avatar Awesome Mommy!
I just have to say I love my Britax Marathon! I researched when I was pregnant, I wasnt worried about the RF weight, I wanted something that was going to be easy to install and re install in other cars. I DID NOT like the Radian or the Myride to me they were not worth the extra effort to install. I had a stroke in 2004 and my hands dont work well so whatever I used had to be easy to get in and get out of the car. I dont consider myself a brand snob I consider myself lazy because I didnt want to not be able to install and reinstall her carseat.

Thanks AlexAidenmom for my awesome siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search