Forward facing before one year??

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2010, 09:10 AM
mama_reese's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are there any consequences of this? I know it's not right and no way would I ever ever ever do it. RJ is ERF but someone very close to me just turned their baby forward facing, well under a year (as in, months to go) and I'm wondering if they will get in trouble or if it's just "recomended"? Anything I can do? I'm so nervous about this, like I said...its someone very close to me. I dont want to say who it is, just because I dont want to sound like I'm attacking them.

August 22nd, 2010, 09:30 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, first of all it's illegal and goes against the manufacturer's instructions. There is not a single seat on the market in the United States that allows a child to be in it forward facing before 1 year and 20 pounds. Some of the seats also have a 22-23 pound weight limit instead of the 20 pound limit, but also still state 1 year. But not only that, it's also potentially deadly. Check out our extended rear facing sticky on the main page and you'll find lots of great information on why it's 500% safer for a child to be rear facing than forward facing, and how rear facing reduces the risk of serious injury or death in an accident by over 70%.

It's not recommended to remain rear facing for the first year and 20 pounds, IT'S THE LAW!!! But it's also not recommended to be forward facing at a year and 20 pounds anymore either. 2 years is the new minimum, and the AAP released a newsletter about this last year.
August 22nd, 2010, 09:49 AM
mama_reese's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know all of that, and I've told the babies mother this and she KNOWS it and KNOWS it's illegal. She said it makes the baby happier. Do you happen to know what the legal consequences are?

August 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Clay and Carson's mommy
I 'think' the legal consequences are a ticket.

Me personally.. I'm pretty gutsy when it comes to that 'it makes them happier' comment. I told a family member who said 'yah, he cries now when he's RF,so,we moved him FF' I said.. 'well,number one, it's against the law,and number two, I'd much rather him be upset and safe,and alive,then to never hear him cry again, know what I mean?' Yes.. I'm gutsy.. But, I don't care!
August 23rd, 2010, 08:28 AM
Taramomof3's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I had a friend swicth her son to forward facing at 8 months old cause he was 20lbs and told her it is against the law well she got stopped at a check-stop (they do them alot around here) and not only did she get a $500 ticket but she had to do a 3 day parenting school course on saftey everything from nutrition to carseat safety complete with test showing that she knew how to correctly install the seat and everything...she is still comeplaining about it but I think it is a great idea I don't know if they only do that here (we are in canada) or it they do that eveywhere, your local police depeartment will know though.

Brianna Eve (09/12/09) Dillan Zarek (07/20/06) Chase Alexander (10/04/08)

August 23rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
The consequences if she gets pulled over, if the officer notices and realizes the child is under a year old would be either (1) a warning to turn the seat back around, or (2) a ticket with a fine.... it just depends on what state you're in on what the fine would be. Some states might tack points onto your license, I'm not sure though.

The consequences if she's in an accident would be much, much greater. If the child is injured, she couldn't claim "I didn't know" because she already told you she does know! She is knowingly putting her child at risk and doing something illegal, so she could be in a heap of legal trouble. (I know this personally from the situation that DH's cousin is in with her child who was injured in an accident in December)
August 24th, 2010, 09:13 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My sister and I were discussing this recently, couldn't authorities also file childn endanderment or even neglect charges if she's pulled over a second time for the same thing?

Better unhappy than dead.

(my parents are still complaining about MASSIVE airbag bruising from an accident on July 2, but like my dad says, "better to be here complaining about the airbags than the alternative.")

August 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Yes, they could. But that's if the police officers even notice, unfortunately. A lot of them are clueless.

I really hope she has a change of heart and turns him back acroung.
August 24th, 2010, 10:10 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I had a "friend" who did the same thing. We have similar kids (in that they both HATE the car seat) and she told me one day that her daughter was facing forward. At the time, her daughter was 7 months and Liam was 4.5. She was saying that she turned her daughter around at 6 months and was suggesting it to me!! In addition to being early, her daughter just recently hit 20lbs at 12 months! So she was lucky if she was 14 pounds when she got turned around. I didn't know what to do. I actually ended up reporting her to the local DSS (dept of social services) but never heard anything about a follow-up. I was soooo scared for that child. I plan to leave Liam rear-facing til around age 2 (or even longer). Even though he still hates the carseat! I don't care if he hates it...he is safer and I will sleep at night.

I REALLY think local cops should have to take a course in child safety, so they can pick out violations. I know around here I see ALL KINDS of things happening in cars that shouldn't be. Kids out of harnesses entirely, one-year-olds in seat-belt boosters, straps that are not barely tight enough to keep the child in the seat, infant seats (like the capsule ones) that are not even secured to the seat (I called DSS on that one too).
August 26th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I had a friend swicth her son to forward facing at 8 months old cause he was 20lbs and told her it is against the law well she got stopped at a check-stop (they do them alot around here) and not only did she get a $500 ticket but she had to do a 3 day parenting school course on saftey everything from nutrition to carseat safety complete with test showing that she knew how to correctly install the seat and everything...she is still comeplaining about it but I think it is a great idea I don't know if they only do that here (we are in canada) or it they do that eveywhere, your local police depeartment will know though.
I love this idea! Not the person turning their child around so early, but that the parent<s> had to go to a child rearing class which included car seat safety.

CIM 04/18/05 & OTM 02/19/09

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search