Hello! Need Some Advice

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2010, 07:20 AM
JustJodes's Avatar Valar Morghulis
I'm currently pregnant with our third child and we need to buy a new car seat since the infant seat we used for our first two is expired. I've been thinking the biggest bang for our buck would be to buy a convertible seat, right? We're somewhat on a budget though safety is obviously the number one priority. I've tried looking through this forum for information but I was really hoping to get some highly rated car seats that are available in Canada. So far, the Graco MyRide seems to be the front runner but I also don't want to rule anything out yet. Thanks so much in advance for any information you wonderful ladies can help me with!

'Not today.'

August 26th, 2010, 08:49 AM
4Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
I am Canadian too in Ontario. We have the Graco MyRide 65 and love it and we also have the first year True fit and we love it as well they are both awesome seats. They are both great seats for newborns whereas there are some convertables that claim to fit a 5lb baby but by far do not. We actually had my friends newborn in the true fit over the weekend (9lb baby). We got our True fit on sale at Zellers for $150.00 before taxes and the my ride we got at walmart for $194.00 before taxes. So thats my 2 cents on the seats that we have and what I think about them we do have 2 other seats as well as an infant carrier but I would never reccomend our two other seats (alpha omega 3in1 and a evenflo chase -forward facing only seat) and you were asking more about convertables. I hope I helped a little bit.

August 26th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks so much, you are awesome! I'm in Ontario also and I was only finding the MyRide at ToysRUs and we don't have one near us I am so happy it's at Wal Mart and cheaper to boot! I've never heard of the True Fit but now I definetly want to do more research on it Thank you again!

'Not today.'

August 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Super Mommy
Ok first off MamaJodes you icon of screw bella made me laugh...thanks!

I am also originally from Ontario, moved away about 8 years ago to the US and hoping to be moving back home soon!

Both are good seats. Try to make sure that seat you want is going to configure with the other seats you have in your vehicle. Not sure what you are driving, but getting 3 seats across can be difficult sometimes. The MyRide a tall car seat, so it also might be tricky car seat depending on the vehicle again.

CIM 04/18/05 & OTM 02/19/09

August 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks! Hope you get to move back soon. I lived in the US for a bit and while I do miss it (I was in CO), I'm much happier back here again

We are currently driving a Saturn Vue but we know we'll need a bigger vehicle. It makes me sad since it's a manual transmission and I love it but I just don't think we'll be able to get another car seat between the other two. We're looking at vans and we'll need a Grand Caravan, Venture or something along those lines as we also have two large dogs that travel in the cargo space when we go on trips.

'Not today.'

August 26th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Super Mommy
I was going to say, that you probably could get 3 across in the Vue, but it would be interesting doing so...then I read the dogs. I see visions of mini vans in the near future

There is a really great thread on successful 3 across in vehicles, goes to list the vehicle and which seats they were able to puzzle together to fit 3 in:

Successful Three Across thread - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Vehicle & Child Passenger Safety Forums

Lots to read, so grab a cup of coffee!

And thanks, we are hoping in the next two years to move back. I will miss certain things here, but I will be really happy to get home with my family.

CIM 04/18/05 & OTM 02/19/09

August 27th, 2010, 04:43 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
What are your other kids riding in? Are they RFing or FFing? What are their heights and weights? Are you totally decided on a convertible from birth? What is your budget for a new seat(s)?

Sometimes it helps to have another pair of eyes look at the situation to come up with different solutions that don't include buying a new car (unless you really want to).

October 7th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Just to give you an update, I bought the My Ride this morning. After seeing how high the base is, I decided to try and put it between our two current car seats. I had to take the cup holder off my oldest DS' seat but I got them all in our current car! The My Ride has two cup holders that an infant won't be using for a long time so my oldest DS can use one of those. I am so proud of myself and hopefully this will convince my DH that we don't need to buy a van yet as I love my standard SUV! We'd need to buy a rooftop carrier for any luggage but how often do you travel with 3 kids and two dogs anyway... not to mention $400 for a carrier is still a wee bit cheaper than a brand new vehicle. Thanks for all the input and help, I'm so relieved our little one will be in a safe car seat and we'll be able to keep him rear facing for as long as possible.

'Not today.'

October 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For the price of most of the convertibles up here, I would get a Radian-I have one, and I won't be buying anything but another Radian ever again. And I have lots of seats, lol! Esp with three kids, you're always looking for space for those seats, and they're really narrow.

Lucky mother to five!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search