Nautilis vs Britax

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2010, 07:06 PM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
I would love to get my son a Britax (he's about to outgrow his car seat) but we just can't afford one - so I'm looking into the Graco Nautilis. Would you say that this is pretty comparable safety wise? It's half the price but *seems* to be just as good - but I'm not sure. I did read the reviews and a lot of peope really like the Nautilis, I'd just like to hear opinions! My son is 2.5, 32lbs, 37". He is forward facing now (his Cosco car seat kinda blows and won't stay in the correct position rear facing. My thoughts are that I'd rather have him forward facing with the seat installed correctly than have him rear facing and have it installed incorrectly). Anyway - thoughts?

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
August 26th, 2010, 07:18 PM
smileybrea's Avatar ♥ Proud Doula & CPST ♥
There isn't a seat "safer" than others since they have all passed the same crash tests so you are just paying for the bells and whistles-padding, ease of install, name (particularly with Britax) . While I do own Britax seats and love them, they are pricey and I wouldn't own them if my MIL didn't insist on them. The Nautilus is a great combination seat that offers extended harnessing then turns into a highback then no back booster. That being said, have you looked into extended rear-facing? At 2.5 and 32#, there are great options available for him to be turned back around and be 500% safer.Here is a thread with information about it.

Did you know that 95% of children are not properly restrained in a vehicle?
Make sure your child is not one of them!

Last edited by smileybrea; August 29th, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
August 26th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
Ditto the PP! I just wanted to say the Nauti is a great seat and no less safe than a Britax. I am a big fan of Britax seats because of their ease of use, but they are no safer than the current Cosco seat you are using as long as they are both being used correctly and your child fits 100% of the time. Definitely look into keeping him RF if any way possible as it is so much safer and he is well within the weight and height limits to fit many of the seats available for ERF!

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

August 27th, 2010, 06:02 AM
M&RsMom's Avatar Mama to silly boys
I have both a Britax and a Nautilus (I even have cosco seats), I have no worries about one being safer than the other. A safe seat is whatever fits in your car and fits your child properly.

Britax is a well known name and they have some "extras" that people like, but they certainly are not the best carseats out there IMO.

August 27th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Super Mommy
One thing to keep in mind these seats: with the Nauti, the car seat has to be 100% on the vehicle seat = no over hang at all. The Britax seats can have over hang, 80% of the car seat has to be on the vehicle seat, while 20% can hang over. I looked at the Nauti for DS1, but had to rule out because it would not fit on my vehicle seats.

As it's been pointed out earlier, all seats have to pass 'standard' testing and therefore are 'safe'. The best seat for you, your vehicle and your child, might not be the best seat for me, my vehicle and my child.

From the information that I have gathered, the Nauti is a great seat and a lot of people really like it.

What seat where you looking at from the Britax line?

I have tried many seats out there. I drive an ext cab truck with bench seating, which has been really difficult finding seats that have been safe for my kids (no head rests in the back either, no latch, etc). Add to the fact, that I have a DS who is off the charts for height and weight, has made an interesting time on car seats. With DS2, who is still rf'ing at 18mths, 28pds, 33.5inch, I had to have a rf'ing seat that tethered because of the glass being so close. I didn't want the chance of rebounding into the glass if we were in an accident. This helped eliminate all car seats out there and narrowed it down to only Sunshine Kids and Britax for rf tether. There is a lot of thought that has to go into the seats that you purchase.

I had a dad in a new F150 truck (just front seats) come to one of our safety checks. He had beautiful, brand new Britax Advocate (really cute girlie design). I loved this seat, so easy to install, plush, all the bells and whistles. It was a horrible, horrible fit in his truck! It was also really dangerous, as the new F150 trucks have a sensor only for turning off the air bags in the front seat (yes, you should not put a baby in the front seat with air bags!) The old F150's you could manually turn off the air bags. The goal of having a safety check for seats, is to have the children leave safer from which they arrived. We gave the Dad several options that he could do to ensure that everyone was safe in the vehicle, but the in the end, the decision is always with the parent/guardian.

Sorry this is so long. But I just wanted to illustrate the point of having the best seat for your child, your vehicle and your pocket book.

CIM 04/18/05 & OTM 02/19/09

Last edited by Isca; August 27th, 2010 at 07:07 AM.
August 28th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 3 year old has been ff in both the Nauti and Marathons, we both much prefer the Nauts--but they fit my vehicles and my kid well.

Lucky mother to five!

August 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I have to go with the Nauti. I have both Britax seats (the Frontier, the Marathon, and the Boulevard) and a Nautilas...I have to say for ease of use, I vote the Nautilas. As far as safety, I am not going to add anything new...they are all safety tested and as long as they used properly and installed properly, you are golden. But I have to say I am not a fan of my Britaxs in general. I might be in the minority, but my straps are a pita and the padding is not any more extensive than MyRide. The Frontier does have a bit more padding than the Nautilas, but I only see that as an issue when we are driving for hours. But I have to take breaks myself, so it is not a biggie for us. Otherwise, very comparable.

Oh, should mention I have a 4-year-old (34lbs, 38in tall) in the Nauti...not my 10-month-old). She is also the one who rides in the Frontier and had the Boulevard. Just had to note that for safety reasons!!

Last edited by ashj_1218; August 29th, 2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Info

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search