more scenera q's

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
ok more q's about my situation. if you already read my other post, you know some of what's going on. now, here is the "rest of the story" like paul harvey used to say.

the scenera that my 3 year old is currently using--it's in our silverado, in great condition. the other scenera is not currently being used, it's in our cavalier that we never drive anymore since the a/c went out. that one looks terrible! even though we got them at the same time, the truck i guess protects more from sun damage than the car--the back glass comes up over the backseat so it gets pretty hot back there, and there's no tint. so the one in the car, the cover is brownish and maybe even dry-rotted? i think if i even tried to wash it it would crumble to pieces lol. is this a good indicator that the hard plastic shell could be damaged to the point that it's a safety issue? if so i will scrap it all together and get a new seat. i went to the website and saw that you could call in and order a replacement harness kit at no charge due to safety concerns of UV damage causing unweaving of harness fibers, but no mention of the seat cover itself. i would glady purchase a new cover if not given free of charge, but i don't see anything about it on the site. i will have to call them and find out about that. i see that they have new designs:

Cosco Juvenile | Convertible Car Seats

and i would love to "upgrade" to that 2160 (black/green) for both seats to match--we have an ugly plaid, courtesy of Farm Bureau insurance company. but not sure they would send me those covers? and if they are near the same price as the seat, maybe not worth it! i've always thought/heard/read that WAHM after-market covers on etsy and the like were unsafe and voided any warranty on the seat. so if i can't get replacements from cosco, i will get a new seat.

and while i'm at it, WHY do they have 5 girly sceneras and only 2 boy ones? i guess i should be used to that, seeing as how there are always 800 racks of girl clothes per 2 racks of boy clothes in the stores.

* i do not see anything physically wrong with the hard plastic shell, but of course there could be damage not visible to me. i just wonder if the cover is so faded and "burned" looking, that the plastic could def be affected as well. how would i know?

Last edited by eli's momma; September 6th, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
September 6th, 2010, 02:22 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
What is the expiration on the Sceneras? If they are fairly new (1-3yrs), I probably wouldn't replace them. The expiration of a seat takes into account typical plastic breakdown from the sun and cold, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. You can absolutely replace the cover and the harness - maybe calling them can get you more info.

You are right about aftermarket covers - they should NEVER be used and will void the warranty on your seat. The covers that come with a car seat have flame retardant ingredients in them that an aftermarket cover does not.

September 6th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
they are not going to expire until 2014.

i really hope that i will be able to get new covers (i know for sure i can get the harnesses, i read all about them on the site). i saw something in the manual about getting a new cover for $45...which is totally not worth it, i might as well get a whole new seat at the store for that! idk why they would sell a cover for $45 when the seat is so inexpensive.

i just talked to my mom about this today, and she offered to call Farm Bureau and just get two new seats from them. I told her no, they'll prob send the ugly plaid ones LOL. i'd rather try and find out if i can get these cool covers, hopefully for less than what the manual says.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search