Need advice please!!

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
aussie_mama22's Avatar Brooke
Hi everyone, my name is Brooke I have 2 children, DD Rylee who is 5 and DS Ashton who is nearly 4 months. I should state now that I am in Australia.

I need some carseat hep for my youngest. Ashton has been in an infant carrier since birth (Safe n Sound Unity) and it has been wonderful. I was planning on him being in there until close to 12 months old, the weight limit on the carrier is 12 kg (26.4lbs). Ashton is growing like a weed, and at almost 4 months old he already weighs 10.1 kg (22.2lbs) with no signs of slowing down anytime soon. We have reached the point that at 4 months old he has nearly grown out of his carrier and the maximum RF weight limit on any seat in Australia is 12 kg!!! The law here is, a baby can be forward faced from 6 months old, this is what I did with my DD, as it was 5 years ago and I didnt know any better, I just did what the law stated. The law hasnt changed (apart from children now required to be in a booster seat until the age of 4-7) so babies are still FF from 6 months old.

As I stated before, we do not have the ability to ERF here, you cannot get a seat that will allow it and after recent research and the wonderful things you are able to do in America when it comes to ERF I am absolutely terrified!!! I really thought I would be able to get at least 10 - 12 months of Ashton rear facing, but being that he is only 2kg away from the weight limit and he is currently gaining 2kg a month, there will be no way I can avoid turning him around at 6 months old. The thought of that scares me, but I dont see any other options. Im already having to purchase a convertible car seat for him, because while he has not yet reached the weight limit for the carrier, it is too narrow for my little chubba, but even then it still has a 12kg rear facing limit.

I dont really know if you can offer any advice, I mainly just wanted to get my story out here and have a little bit of a vent. We are so far behind when it comes to child car safety and it makes me so mad.
Baby #4 due January 2016

September 21st, 2010, 04:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry Brooke

I am coming back in November and I can bring you a US seat but it is technically illegal to use... but.... I still use my US seats and when we move back next year I will be using US seats then too.

They sell a Cosco Scerena here which RF's until 40lbs (not sure on the kg conversion... too lazy LOL) and it sells for less than US$50 problem is how I would get it up to you would Aussie post take it?

ETA I am bummed you aren't in Sydney as I have a convertible seat sitting in my parents garage that expires in Dec which you could totally have (and are still welcome to!)
September 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
aussie_mama22's Avatar Brooke
That was an option that I considered, but the problem is the tethering, as you know Aussie and American tethers are different. I had a friend bring a carseat over from America and ended up having to tie it into the car because she couldnt tether it. That doesnt seem too safe to me.
Baby #4 due January 2016

September 21st, 2010, 05:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_mama22 View Post
That was an option that I considered, but the problem is the tethering, as you know Aussie and American tethers are different. I had a friend bring a carseat over from America and ended up having to tie it into the car because she couldnt tether it. That doesnt seem too safe to me.
eeeep... only 2 brands of seats in the US can be RF tethered.. Sunshine Kids and Britax.

You could get a Britax as it can be tethered but they are pricey here let alone importing one!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search