How to respond to people asking if I've turned my 9.5mo FFing?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, in the past 2 days I've had 2 people ask if I've turned DD FF, or moved her to a big girl seat yet (meaning FFing.)

Is there a nice teachable way to respond to this, since both of them have kids who are now FF, 1 just over a year and 1 under. I want to provide the info without making them feel bad - just in case they were simply not aware.

Am I going to be hearing this all of the time now?

Thank you Vicki for my siggy!
September 28th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would just respond with "well, no not yet... and i'm actually considering keeping her RF for a while, i've heard its much safer"...

September 28th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Clay and Carson's mommy
to above,and then I'd add in..

'It's also against the law to even consider moving them FF until they are over a year old'
September 28th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah that too, lol forgot that part!

September 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
You can tell them your pedi recommended to keep her RF until she's at least two because it's 5x safer!! (even if they didn't lol.. but the AAP really does recommend it now!)

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

September 28th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Ladies! The first friend who asked I told I was keeping her RFing til 3 b/c it's safer and he got concerned and I told him to read up on it and later sent some info.

The other person I don't know very well and she just told me she had turned her daughter and I said - wow, she's 20 pounds already and she told me she's close enough. I mentioned that I was keeping DD RFing longer b/c it was safer.

I just want to be prepared when others ask since at daycare a lot of parents are going to be moving out of infant seats soon - I love the "I heard it is safer." I know if you sound like a know it all a lot of people don't want to listen.

I love the Pedi recommends- even if it's not true!

I'm going to email the daycare director and ask if she will put a link to the AAP guidelines in her next electronic newsletter.

September 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Fist Pumping Champ
This is nothing! You're going to be hearing it a lot more when your LO is 1+ years. I get friends and family asking me all the time about why I haven't turned her around yet. I tell them that it's safer to keep them RFing and if they're actually interested, I show them videos on YouTube.

May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy
July 2014 - Miscarriage

September 28th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy

Yep!
September 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Tell whoever that the APP recommends RFing to age 2 at a MINIMUM and longer if possible. Your ped said it's safer. And from your own personal research, it is 5x safer than FFing at this age. Besides, it's also illegal unless a child is 1yr AND 20lbs, not either.

There are also other videos in the ERF sticky that you can send along to people too.

September 28th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Super Mommy
Oh, the questions I got when I turned my 3 year old back to RF. (That was over a year ago). I now get questions as to why my 6 year old is still harnessed.

Ditto to what everyone else said though!!

Thank you JMC1988 for my siggy!

September 29th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I get asked this all the time, usually by people who are bragging that their child is already FF because they are "so big". I just remind them that the law here is 22lbs AND 12 months. And that its so much safer and sheŽll stay that way till she outgrows the seat. Then I just have to fend off the "sheŽll break her legs" argument. Quite what sheŽll break them with I dont know but thats their argument!!

September 29th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I get made fun of all the time for "My Toddler Rides Rear Facing" bumper sticker LOL

Most people I know KNOW that it's something I'm passionate about and I've never been hassled!

September 30th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would be probably mention the law and then the recommendation. Something like "well it's illegal to turn them until they're 20lbs and 12 months, but it's also recommended to go much longer because it's so much safer".

I haven't been asked yet, but I'm sure I will after she's 1. My nephew is 5 weeks older than my DD so I hope I can convince her to ERF. I had a friend recently ask me for a seat recommendation, and wanted a Nautilus (her DS will be 1 in Nov). When I mentioned ERF, she flat out told me "I'm going to turn him on his first bday" (he is already over 20lbs). Maybe it's because DD is my first, I don't understand why the rush to turn them around? Because it's a little easier to get them in/out or see them from the front seat?

I digress! Sorry!

September 30th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
We haven't hit this question yet but I know my reply will be... "Well his seat RFes to 40lbs. He's not 40lbs yet."

made by BAM

October 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
The other person I don't know very well and she just told me she had turned her daughter and I said - wow, she's 20 pounds already and she told me she's close enough. I mentioned that I was keeping DD RFing longer b/c it was safer.
I just thought I'd post a note. I was totally surprised, but the mom I mentioned in my earlier post (above) stopped me yesterday to tell me she had turned her gorgeous daughter back rear facing to be safer! I am so happy!

October 13th, 2010, 11:48 AM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad you started this thread!

This gives me plenty of answers when my friends will no doubt ask...DD is still in her Chicco Keyfit 30 right now, but we definitely want to ERF and just know that we'll run into this issue.

I'm not quite sure why people are in such a hurry to FF their kiddos? Must just be the lack of information/education out there about just HOW MUCH safer it is to ERF??

October 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
^That's definitely part of it. However, there are some parents that don't believe it's safer and won't ERF. For example, Maddie and I are (were? I don't post there anymore) in the same PR. She has shared some wonderful information with all of us (which is why I ERF). A lot of the moms just ignored her info and probably think "it's not gonna happen to me" until it does happen to you.

Somewhere I read a mom actually say she found evidence that FFing is safer after age 1. Apparently the AAP has it all wrong then.

October 14th, 2010, 06:29 AM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's a good point, they might really not think that ERF is safer. I hear a lot of the "their legs will get broken in a car accident" argument.

My MIL (who watches DD a few times a week) was excited to have her FF soon so the baby could see out the window, but once I told her some of the safety statistics regarding ERFing, she very readily agreed and is on board. But you're right, I'm sure there are a lot of misconceptions out there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search