Day 1 of Potty Training

Forum: Thirtysomething Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Thirtysomething Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2008, 09:45 AM
white5199's Avatar Super Mommy
So, I finally decided to bite the bullet and 'officially' start PT'ing Maddox. The kid just won't keep on a diaper and pulls it off as soon as he pees or poops in it. So, I figured, now's as good a time as any. I'm just taking him to the potty every 30 minutes. I need to go out and get some reward candy or something to help incentivise him too. Wish me luck and I really hope this doesn't take 6 months!

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"><a href="http://www.white5199.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
</a>
</MARQUEE>
July 10th, 2008, 09:48 AM
m_westbro's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, good luck!!! I wish Jack would show some interest, but he's just not ready. I tried to talk him into getting some big boy undies the other day and he looked me straight in the face and said "I don't like those, Mommy, I like diapers." Oh well...

my photog blog / my family blog
July 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Marla - Has Jack ever taken off his diaper? I tell ya, it was downhill once Maddox learned to do that. At first I tried switching him to pull-ups but he of course knew how to take that off as well. I've tried putting him in overalls and he knows how to escape out of those to take off his diaper too.

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"><a href="http://www.white5199.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
</a>
</MARQUEE>
July 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have boys but, Anna was pretty quick with potty training once we just started to wear underwear.
Good Luck! He'll learn fast

July 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish you luck! I thought of doing it with the girls. I've had drs even ask me "why?"
I have the potty but I think I may wait until they are closer to 3.

They both tell me if they went and Natalie sometimes tells me she has to go poo poo before she goes in the diaper. But she is scared of the potty. She is getting use to it because REbecca likes to sit on it.

How old is he?
July 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Maddox will be 23 months old this week.

He's done really well today, all things considering since it's his official day. He's had some really good pees in the potty and some puddles on the floor as well. I've been taking him every 30 minutes basically. He woke up from his nap dry and after a few minutes of waking up I took him and he went really well in the potty.

It's probably a fluke, but he even pooped in the potty! I'm really very excited, even if it is a fluke. He made a small poopy on the floor. He knew what he did and looked up at me like he was surprised it happend. I told him "Oh Maddox, poopies go in the potty" and he ran to the potty. He sat there, pushed hard, and pooped!

</a>
</MARQUEE>
July 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Connor is older and still wants nothing to do with the potty! He will tell me that he has done a stinky and I always thought if they were old enough to tell me that, then surely they were old enough to use the potty - but no way for him!!!!!!!

Good luck and please share the success with us so I can try it myself!!! Connor is a big booger!!!
July 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wish Shane would let me potty train him. He's almost 3 and doesn't want anything to do with it. I hope it continues to go well. I look forward to reading about his success.

July 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I was reading this book that says the younger they are when you start the easier it is to train them. Basically because you're teaching them to break a habit (peeing in their pants) which they've been doing for 2+ years of their life. Not only are you teaching them to break a habit, you're teaching them to learn the signals of peeing and that pee goes in the toilet not in their pants.

</a>
</MARQUEE>
July 11th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How did it go today?
July 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks for asking Rebecca. I'd say it's going 'so so'. I guess I really don't know what to expect from him and how quickly this is supposed to catch on.

The main problem I'm having is that even though I take him every 20-30 minutes, he is still tinkling a little bit in between there. It's like he'll just squirt a little bit out (for lack of a better term??) instead of holding it in and emptying his bladder when I take him? I'm thinking of stopping the training because of this? Maybe he isn't ready because he can't hold his bladder?

Ugh, sorry, I know I should take this complaint to the potty training board. Unfortunately, I 'know' the host pretty well from my other online forum and I don't agree with her parenting style WHAT SO EVER!! Not just on potty training, but a lot of other stuff too. I mean, she supposedly started potty training her son at 17 months and he's Maddox's age now (23 months) and still not fully potty trained. So, I don't want to got get advice over there because I don't think she's experienced enough to give advice.

Ugh, seriously, sorry for the vent.

</a>
</MARQUEE>
July 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM
jonnysmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
I am a firm believer in allowing the child to "tell" you when they are ready to PT. Jon showed no interest until just before turning 3, and I got all excited and laid the pressure on a bit thick...and he backtracked after some successes. Once I backed off, he was day AND night trained in 4 days. He was 3 years 3 months when he was completely trained.

Some kids are ready sooner, especially kids with older siblings. Maybe bringing Big Brother in to help might help things along?

Proud Mommy of Jonny, 8/7/04! We are loving Kindergarten!

July 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sarah-Jane has started to use the potty when she wonts to. Some days she wonts undies on other days she wonts her nappy. I am not worrid she is only two and i know she will do it in her own time. Let us know how it goes!
July 13th, 2008, 02:59 AM
jennntj13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jackie is now starting to sleep with undies on... I hope that you have lots of success! KUP!

Thanks to Kelly for my new siggy!

July 13th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wish you lots of luck. Just to let you know, my SIL "started" to potty train my nephew around 22 months because he was showing signs (telling her each time he went and showed interest in the toilet). Anyway, the first few days went well and then he lost interest and it was obvious he wasn't quite ready.
So, it could be Maddox is just not as ready as you thought. I think he is pretty young still (although that doesn't mean he isn't ready, just not the average), and may need some more time.
Hopefully soon though! Good Luck.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search