Been MIA - Business Travel Canundrum

Forum: Working Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Working Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies,
I've been kinda mia lately. Work has been insane, and life outside work has been even busier.

I had a work trip in May which took me to Austin. Managed to make it a road trip and tagged DH and Maggie along for the ride, and made it a business/vacation getaway for the whole family to avoid dealing with worrying about leaving Daddy and Maggie alone for too long. It worked extremely well, but unfortunately that means that my manager is now keenly interested in seeing a proposal for me to go to Asia to solve some of the issues I've been struggling with there.

My mom has agreed to take Maggie (for whenever the trip will happen - nothing is set in stone yet), and DH has always wanted to go to Asia. So I'm thinking of trying to do something similar again - but this time leaving Maggie home here with her Grandma.

What would you do? She's two, and I know my mom can handle it. And I know she can probably handle it too - but I'm already going through that anxiety and "stuff" about leaving her for anything more than a couple days...and being so far away too. But if I flat out decline to do the trip, I can say so long to any kind of advancement (be it piddly little raise or promotion) ever again at this company.

I have to say, that every single week the decision to be a working mom never gets easier, and it's something I have to physically choose every day...and every day I feel just as crummy about making this choice as I did the day before. Wish this guilt thing would just go the heck away once and for all!

WWYD?

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

June 14th, 2012, 09:10 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
How long would you be away for? It's much easier for me to leave Juliet now than when she was younger. When she was 15 months I couldn't even leave her for a weekend to go to a wedding, I brought her along. Last month I was away for 5 days for a cruise with my mom and sisters and she stayed home with DH. I had a great time and she didnt even notice I was gone - helped that it was M-F so I don't get to see her a lot after daycare anyways. Only you will know the right decision for your family, but to me it sounds like a great opportunity. I wouldnt want to be away longer than a week though.

June 14th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Except for the guilt (which I sooooo understand) I see only pros here.
A capable babysitter...
A chance for some alone time with DH...
Good standing with your company..

If I were in your situation I would probably do it.
June 14th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the responses ladies. It probably would be good for us. We always swore we'd take one vacation each year on our own for the sake of keeping our marriage healthy. I guess in some respects the last couple of years have gone very slowly in letting us get to that point. But you're right. The time is upon us, we should both be embracing it.

Let me say DH is like ready to book flights - LOL. It's my mommy guilt that gets the better of me. Looks like we'll be planning it for October, if everything works out with budget approvals at work.

Because it's Asia, we're talking it will be more like 9 or 10 days. It's at least a 24 hour flight not including stops and connections/layovers. I'll work for 2-3 days of it but should have evenings free.

I have a few months to bury this mommy guilt way down deep where it can never be heard of again...lol. That's possible right? Just kidding!

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

June 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad the trip went well.

I say go for it. I am sure Maggie will be fine.

How long is the trip?

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

June 25th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It will probably be 10 days.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search