New here!!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2010, 06:41 AM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
Hi Ladies! First off, I want to say sorry for Brandi's loss. She seems to be a big influence (in a good way) on this board from what I've read and I really do just feel horrible for her. I hope her pneumonia and partially collapsed lung heal quickly. Her losses made me an emotional wreck and I wish the best for her.

Now, onto my introduction. My name is Stephanie, 31 and DH is Neal, 35. We've been TTC for 2 years. I have no problems getting pregnant, it's just staying that way is my problem. In November 2008, I lost identical twin girls to pre-term labor at 23 weeks. July of '09 I had a m/c due to Trisomy 22 and this past April I had another m/c due to Trisomy 16.

After my 2nd m/c Dh and I went to a RE who was very proactive with us. He discussed with us doing IVF with PGD (Preimplantation Genetic Diagnoses). DH and I are very excited about this process and have gotten the ball rolling. Yesterday I went in for a sonogram where the put some saline in the uterus to check for an abnormalities and that was just fine. Tomorrow we have the Genetics Counselor appt and Friday we have a consult for the IVF w/ PGD and a meeting with the financial advisor.

Can anyone tell me what goes on at the Genetics Counselor?

I've done a whole bunch of research on the IVF w/ PGD and do have a bunch of questions for during the consultation. I was wondering however, if there was something you knew before hand but didn't know, what would that be?

Also, how painful is the procedure for when they extract the eggs? I've heard that it can be very painful.

Has any one had the PGD part done? Is there anything important that I should know before hand?

I thank you for your help and look forward to getting to know everyone.

May 18th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Steph - I am not an active member of this board but it was going to be our option until just recently so I still lurk from time to time. I can give you my experience with genetics counselling but will have to let the other ladies give you their answers to the rest of the questions.

My appointment with the genetics counsellor was after 4 consecutive miscarriages. We met with him in his office and he reviewed our file and went through all the possible causes for our miscarriages (all of which had been ruled out but he went through them in much greater detail than anyone else we had seen). Then he explained what they would test genetically. We went to the lab and had blood drawn and he explained that they would look at each pair of chromosomes to ensure their were no translocations. He said sometimes in a healthy person there can be a piece of one chromosome switched with another. ( ex. say aaa aaa is one chromosome and bbb bbb is another. in a balanced translocation you would have baa aaa and abb bbb instead.)

That was the end of the meeting. They did the blood work and are still looking at our genetics (I was told it could take 6-8 months here). He did tell us he would bring us back in for another appointment when the results were back and we would discuss the results.

I hope things go well for you with your genetics counsellor and I am sure your timing will be much shorter. I have heard elsewhere it is only a 4-6 week look at the chromosomes.
May 18th, 2010, 07:35 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Welcome, Stephanie! I'm so sorry to hear about your losses, and hope that PGD is the answer that will finally help you bring a LO home.

I can't help with the Genetics Counseling/PGD questions...we did not include those things in our first IVF. Many ladies on here have experience with it, though, and I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

The egg retrieval surgery, in my opinion, wasn't too bad. They started putting drugs into my IV, and the next thing I know I was in recovery and DH was taking pictures of me for our scrapbook I think I took ibprofen once afterwards, but that's all. It felt like I had been stabbed in the abdomen...kind of sore and achey, but I expected that. The bloating and huge ovaries were more uncomfortable than the surgery, and that just took time to go away.

I hope that your stay here is short and that you are a TTCMA Grad in no time...good luck!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

May 18th, 2010, 07:58 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Stephanie, you were in the March DDC right? (i was too). I remember your girls. Im sorry for your other losses.

the retrieval can hurt depending on how rough they are...if you have a lot of eggs its probably going ot be more painful...if your ovaries are right in the open and not hidden behind anything then it shouldnt be too bad..its when they have to "dig around" to get the eggs that its more painful.

May 18th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow...you've been through so much...I'm very sorry for your losses. I don't know much about IVF but just wanted to say welcome Sounds like you have a good plan ahead...
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

May 18th, 2010, 11:02 AM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
Thanks for the info ladies. I hope I get put out for the retrieval. I can deal with the pain afterwards.

One or two more questions, once it was decided that you were going to do IVF, how long does the process take from producing enough eggs until the implantation of the embryos? Also, what medication were you on to produce enough eggs?

May 18th, 2010, 12:07 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex1078 View Post
One or two more questions, once it was decided that you were going to do IVF, how long does the process take from producing enough eggs until the implantation of the embryos? Also, what medication were you on to produce enough eggs?
I hate to say it, but this stuff varies from person to person and each doctor does things a little bit differently. I'll just tell you what my experience was, I'm sure others will do the same, and then just know that you'll fall somewhere in the middle of us all

I took birth control pills starting the month before we were going to do IVF to quiet my ovaries...some doctors insist on this step, and others are okay without doing it. The week before I expected AF, I also started Lupron, which is an ovulation suppressor. I had my CD3 ultrasound after AF came, and for that one they want to see how many little follicles (antral follies) I had, make sure there were no cysts, an make sure that there weren't any follies that were a lot bigger than the others. Everything checked out okay, and then I started the Follistim and Menopur injections to make those follicles grow. I stimmed for 11 days, and then had the egg retrieval.

Before you even leave the dr after the retrieval, they can usually tell you how many eggs they were able to retrieve, and then you'll usually get daily updates on the maturity of the eggs, how many fertilize, how many are still growing, etc. Most REs do the embryo transfers either 3 or 5 days after the retrieval, depending on the embryos and the preferences of the RE and embryologist. So, for example, I started stimming on October 24, had my egg retrieval on November 3, and the embryo transfer on November 8. Usually your first beta will be 14 days after the retrieval, and then you go from there.

Hope that helps...feel free to ask any other questions you think of. There is a LOT to learn when you go thru IVF!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

May 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
We didn't do IVF with PDG, but it was recommended we should. Our RE ordered the genetic testing and when the results came in she refereed us to the geneticist. At that point we had had 2 MC one being a set of twins. We found out DH had a balanced chromosomal translocation. The RE was more doom and gloom about it and said the only way we'd have a child was IVF with PDG. When we saw the geneticist she was very upbeat about it since it was on DH's #3 and #12. She said anything #13 or larger by number reduces the chances of healthy pregnancy. She told us we had a 50% chance every pregnancy to have a MC just depending on how DH's cells divide for the sperm. We had a a 25% of a chromosomal normal child or a 25% chance of a balanced child like DH if it was a healthy pregnancy. Our baby was born 2 weeks ago and we got his DNA results back just before they discharged him from the NICU (nothing to do with the genetic stuff) and they said he was balanced like DH. We did end up getting pregnant with him with Clomid and TI. It was our last round of that as we had been doing it 6 cycles.

made by BAM

May 18th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Stephanie! I'm so sorry for everything you have gone through, you have one heck of a story.

I haven't been down the IVF road before, so I don't have any personal experiences to share. There are plenty of ladies currently going through IVF and grads because of IVF on this board that will surely help you along the way.

Meanwhile, you have gained a whole new group of cheerleaders by joining our group! Glad you found us!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

May 18th, 2010, 03:01 PM
pianogirl's Avatar Veteran
Hi Stephanie. Welcome to the board. My name is Michelle. I'm so sorry for your losses. I've done IVF before but it looks like most of your questions were answered so just wanted to say welcome.
TTC#2 since June 2008
Did Puregon and IUI from June 2008 - Dec.2008
Began process of testing and getting ready for IVF w/ICSI Feb.2009
Did first IVF w/ICSI in May. MC June 2009
Did IVF with FET Oct 2009 and had CP
Begin taking BCP on May 7 for IVF
Lupron injections on May 15
Gonal-F & Menupor on May 28
Retrieval on June 7, 5 day transfer w/2 embryo's on June 12
June 21-4 weeks pregnant!! Praying for heartbeat at 7 week ultrasound
July 12-We are having twins! Two strong heartbeats. Thank you God.
Jan 13,2011-Marcus and Caleb were born.

May 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM
GO BUCKEYES!!! O-H-I-O!
Welcome! I don't have any advice about IVF as we've never been down that road before but I wanted to say sorry for your losses and I hope you get your bfp real soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search