Trigger shot and AF? (vent)

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Regular
Has anyone ever had their AF earlier than expected after a cycle with trigger? I'm like a clock when it comes to it, I usually know exactly (almost by the hour) when AF will show.

As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong), you would ovulate about 36hrs after the trigger, and then expect AF exactly 2 weeks later!
I had my trigger on a friday around 9am, so should've ovulated saturday night, and expected my period in the night of saturday to sunday 2 weeks later. Well, AF showed the night of friday to saturday, so a whole 24hrs earlier than expected. I know that for some of you this sounds like normal, but for me it really isn't, especially being on a TI cycle with trigger.

Also, we had planned a long weekend away next week, which I had calculated to be ok because I could go to see my RE on wednesday CD11, but now we need to come back earlier!!! And I really thought that this cycle was it...

Sorry, just needed to vent my frustration, thanks for reading girls.

Aug 07 - started TTC
Nov 07 - BFP, Dec 07 - M/c at 5w 4d
May 08 - BFP . Cyst on left ovary, June 08 - M/c at 7w 4d.
Dec 08 - Laparoscopy to remove cyst. Very mild endo dx.
Dec 08-Mar 09 - BCP
Mar 09 - start ttc again
Jan 10 - First RE app. All b/w and SA are very good
Mar-Jun 10 - 4x TI cycles with Pregnyl/Ovidrell trigger - BFN
Jul 10 - MA Brk
Aug 10 - Lap/Hyste/Dye - Endo removed, all else clear, BCP for 6wks.
Nov 10 - IVF #1
June 6th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know it's frustrating. Unfortunately, once you start adding meds to your body, you can hardly predict what is going to happen anymore. I would say that 24 hours earlier isn't that big of a deal. Yes, typically you do ovulate 36 hours after a trigger shot, BUT that's typically... you maybe ovulated 24 hours after the trigger. This is one reason why some RE's really rely on back to back IUI's, one the day after trigger and another 36 hours after the trigger, it covers all the bases.

If you are one of the ladies that is going to O fairly soon after using a trigger, maybe it would be best to start your TI right away, or if you do move onto IUI mention it to your DR so that they can plan the IUI's accordingly.

Sorry about AF showing, that totally stinks! And on top of it all, having to move your plans is so frustrating. I can't even tell you how many things have been canceled or moved or postponed because of TTC... it takes over our lives.

What's your plan for the next cycle?

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

June 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Regular
Thanks Kari. Well, I'm guessing we're still going to do one more round of TI, it will be the 3rd back to back, and if that doesn't work again, well.....I guess I will have to have another lap, and then IVF according to my RE. But I am going to go for a second opinion, about IUI, because my RE doesn't want to do IUI with us.

Aug 07 - started TTC
Dec 08-Mar 09 - BCP
Mar 09 - start ttc again
Jul 10 - MA Brk
Nov 10 - IVF #1
June 6th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Are you just doing TI with a trigger and no Clomid or anything? If you aren't doing anything but a trigger and TI I'd defiantly be looking at diffrent REs before jumping into IVF.

made by BAM

June 6th, 2010, 05:29 PM
michelle_m's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has your RE given his reasons for not doing IUI? I've never heard of an RE suggesting someone skip IUI entirely and move right to IVF. Maybe in cases of severe endo, but yours is mild, right?

Regarding the trigger shot, as Kari said, 36 is average. I know this month - my first month with a trigger - I ovulated less than 30 hours after the trigger. So, maybe you just O'd early. It's possible, too, that your body had already surged before the trigger, so you would have O'd even earlier.

Sorry to hear about AF showing up. It's never easy.
After 2 years of infertility, IUI #3 with Clomid 75mg brought us twins.
E and N, born 6 weeks early but healthy, 1/11.
5/14 to 5/15 - TTC #3 for 1 year, then started Synthroid.
5/13/15 - Natural BFP. Chemical Pregnancy.
6/10/15 - A second natural BFP. Due Feb. 21st, 2016.

June 6th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
I know when I used Ovidrel as a trigger I Od about 30 hours afterwards. After our first IUI we figured this out.

Also I would definitely look into IUI it is so successful for ALOT of people...LeeAnn (MommaLee) is a success story! If he is having you use TI I can see no reason to skip IUI.

Good Luck hun!

June 7th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Regular
Thanks ladies for all the advice and support.

The reason my RE gave for not doing an IUI is because DH's SA is very good, and he says the only couples who do IUI are those with SA issue (at least in Australia according to him!) He says either we can do it by ourselves (trigger is just to help with timing), or we need the "big guns".

Kobain's mommy - I am indeed only doing Ovidrell triggers, no Clomid or anything as I ovulate every cycle naturally. RE says it wouldn't be necessary to put me through it if I ovulate naturally. I even had 2 follies in March!!

I guess we are a case of unexplained infertility (even though I've been preg twice).
And yes there is the mild endo, which I thought was sorted last year, but maybe not, and that's why RE wants to do another lap to double check.

Aug 07 - started TTC
Dec 08-Mar 09 - BCP
Mar 09 - start ttc again
Jul 10 - MA Brk
Nov 10 - IVF #1
June 7th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hun, if it's possible, I would really look into getting a second opinion. My DH's SA is pretty darn close to normal (slightly low morph) and we did a total of 6 IUI's (2 with my OB and 4 with my RE). I just think it's worth your time to shop around before jumping right in to IVF when it's perfectly acceptable to think that an IUI might do the trick.

Hang in there!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search