Buying a Mommy Car...HELP!!!

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
So, DH and I have said since the begining that we will buy a new (bigger) car once we get pregnant. Well now we are and I am so lost on what to look for and what to get. Does anyone have a great mommy car that they want to share info on? Also, we have mainly been looking at crossovers. Do you think they are better then cars or what is your take on all that? What are the main things to look for?

Thanks for any advice you have ladies...we are at a loss right now...

June 6th, 2010, 06:09 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
depends on how long you want to keep your new car and how many kids you are planning on having.

we drive an SUV that fits 5 but it gets awful gas mileage..which is ok since I only drive 40 miles a week. If we have 3 kids though Im switching to a minivan with the works on it...you have no idea how much I would love to have automatic sliding doors...ugh those would be soooo freaking handy.

if you plan on having lots of kids and you want to keep this car for 5-6yrs or whatever then I'd say get a mini van or a large SUV.

if you get a new car every 2-3yrs then get a sedan or a small suv and you can always trade up if you need it.

June 6th, 2010, 06:51 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally recommend going with a minivan with all the bells and whistles if you can. I'll be honest, I don't have one yet, but I have one that I borrow for longer trips or anytime we are going to have an extra kid or two for the weekend and they are awesome. The power sliding doors and power rear gate are amazing, and with older kids, the built in DVD system is a life saver! When we do finally get pregnant again with a sticky bean we are definitely getting one!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
June 6th, 2010, 08:44 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I had my heart set on the Saturn Outlook, but of course, they've discontinued Saturns... (may still get an '09), so now I'm looking at either the Chevy Traverse or the GMC Acadia. We live in the mountains, so AWD is a must. With DD, and dogs and a new one on the way, we certainly need something roomy. It gets decent gas mileage for it's size.

I could ditto the minivan thing, but I'm not a fan of the way they handle the road. We borrow my IL's mini van (I have a jeep cherokee, DH has a huge Dodge Ram... horrible gas mileage) for our summer trips and it's great for room, but I don't like the way it drives. THey have 2 Dodge Caravans and 1 Chrysler Town and Country.

You'll have to test drive in your area and see what hugs the road best. We live on a dirt road, in high altitude, with lots of curves and mountain passes, so a cross-over SUV is best for us!

My jeep works great and I plan on keeping it a bit longer, but it's getting old and if, if, if we get blessed with one more baby, we'll definitely need something bigger!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
June 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a 2009 Ford Escape and it's nice but I wish we'd have gone for the Explorer. I thought the escape would be big enough for two kids but I was wrong.

June 6th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
I was looking today and the next vehicle I'll be getting is a Dodge Durango. I like how they have a third row seating (we want 4 kids either bio or adopted) and that way we won't have to worry about getting another new vehicle later on. I HATE mini vans. My BFF just got rid of what we deemed the space shuttle from hell. She was always having problems with it. She got a Honda Pilot and loves it. The only thing I don't like about it was the lack of space in the back when the third row is up. Durangos have a large cargo area even with the third row. When we don't need the third row you can fold it down to make the cargo area larger.

made by BAM

June 7th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a Toyota 4-Runner Sport. It's very cute and has a sporty edge...a mom vehicle without looking like one, lol. I am super happy with the way it drives, as it does not drive like a bigger vehicle. In general, I am very happy with the quality of Toyotas. The 4-Runner also has plenty of space inside.

My friend has a Toyota Rav-4. It's cute, but there's not a ton of room. The Toyota Highlander is a crossover and is very nice too. Size wise, it's between the 4-Runner and the Rav-4, with the 4-Runner being the biggest.
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

June 7th, 2010, 05:34 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have an 04 chev trailblazer with all the bells and whistles (incl. dvd)....and I love it. It's no longer available and was replced w/ the traverse. Test drive a bunch a vehicles and you'll eventually find one you like!
June 7th, 2010, 05:58 AM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got a Chevy Equinox - love it.. it'll be perfect for 2 kids - but if we have twins w/ the next IVF then I'm upgrading to a Chevy Tahoe.

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

June 7th, 2010, 07:38 AM
barbarella's Avatar Super Mommy
We have a citroen C4 at the moment which is perfectly big enough for a couple of kids. I think if we were looking for a bigger model I would go for the C4 people carrier. They're quite nice looking and really practical

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have an SUV and it doesn't seat any more than our Camry does, except it is a little roomier. I think next time we'll be getting a mini van, so we can seat more because after we have this baby, hopefully we'll be working on baby #3. (But, DH doesn't know that, yet.) However, some SUVs have that 3rd row seating.
June 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagirl80 View Post
We have a Toyota 4-Runner Sport. It's very cute and has a sporty edge...a mom vehicle without looking like one, lol. I am super happy with the way it drives, as it does not drive like a bigger vehicle. In general, I am very happy with the quality of Toyotas. The 4-Runner also has plenty of space inside.

My friend has a Toyota Rav-4. It's cute, but there's not a ton of room. The Toyota Highlander is a crossover and is very nice too. Size wise, it's between the 4-Runner and the Rav-4, with the 4-Runner being the biggest.
You will never be disappointed with a Toyota. They are more expensive up-front, but will last FOREVER if you take care of them. We sold our first Toyota with 284,000 miles on it, and it still ran perfectly.

I drove a 4-Runner for several years and loved it, and now I drive a Toyota Land Cruiser. It seats 7, and has every amenity you could ask for. The gas mileage is pretty bad, but that just goes with driving a large SUV.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

June 7th, 2010, 11:21 AM
frankie's Avatar Proud Mommy
My husband bought me for my bday last year a brand new lexus rx hybrid.. I am now looking for something bigger it was a wonderful suv until now.. I am looking for a 7 to 8 seater so I will let you know if I find something..

Also hubby has a 4runner he loves it... it does drive well.. and toyota is made to last...

trying for~~~Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer~~~~ Marcia Wieder

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search