Luteal Phase Defect - TTC

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Confused! i had a D&C on Nov 6th for a blighted ovum. iIt must not have been a complete D&C becaise i was tested in Jan and my preg hormone was 7 and i bled heavily then tested me again the next week and it was under 4 so considered to be not preg at that level.Wondering if anyone has had a similar situation or advise. My cycles have been a mess ever since. My RE told me to just try to conceive naturally since the first time i got pregnant after being off BC for 2 months. so i did that for 2 months and would begin to spot after ovulation. He decided to put me on clomid and it didstop the spottign but then i had left over follicles and had to spot it. The month i began to spot on day 20 so he gave me Prometrium (porgesterone) i dont spot where it gets on my pantiliner but ther eis blood up there. first it was brown now it's red.

My husband i really want to get preg soon I'm 33 and would love to have 2 kids before 35 or 36 so i feel like time is flying. I'm don't know what i should do. Try natural with progesterone if i spot (which isn't working now), do clomid again and risk ettign left over follicles, or is it time to think of IUI?

Any advise would be appreciated and any stories of what worked for you with luteal phase defect. Thanks
June 25th, 2010, 01:34 PM
michelle_m's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have a luteal phase defect, but thought I'd ask some questions to help out if I could. I guess the first question is whether the RE has diagnosed you with any other fertility issues - pcos, endo, etc. And with leftover follicles - had they turned into cysts? Were you on a heavy dose of clomid?

Hope you can figure some things out.
After 2 years of infertility, IUI #3 with Clomid 75mg brought us twins.
E and N, born 6 weeks early but healthy, 1/11.
5/14 to 5/15 - TTC #3 for 1 year, then started Synthroid.
5/13/15 - Natural BFP. Chemical Pregnancy.
6/10/15 - A second natural BFP. Due Feb. 21st, 2016.

June 25th, 2010, 02:18 PM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
I have an LPD which I take prometrium (progesterone) for, but I also have Endo and PCOS. How many MG's of Prometrium are you on? I take 200mg a night 4 days after my trigger shots (which we do when they verify a mature follicle on ultrasound)

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

June 25th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When we originally started TTC #2 I discovered that I had a short luteal phase (only 9 days) after a few months of TTC with no sucess. I went to my OB/GYN and she said that I had a luteal phase defect (LPD) and gave me prometrium to take after I ovulated. I got pregnant a couple months later and then m/c and had to have a D&C.

After lots of research online, I discovered that LPD is really a symptom of something else that is going on. So, treating LPD with progesterone is only treating the symptom and not the problem. A short luteal phase is usually caused by weak ovulation. So, I talked to my OB/GYN again and she prescribed Clomid to try and give me a stronger ovulation and that did end up giving me a longer luteal phase (approx 12 days). But, I still was not getting pregnant. So after spending a year with OB/GYN and many months with Prometrium and then Clomid with one m/c in there, I was then refered to a RE.

When we started with the RE, she said that Clomid would fix LPD. So we went through several more Clomid cycles excpet this time we did IUIs with those cycles. Still nothing happened.

After that, my RE suggested I have a laparoscopy to check for endometriosis. I agreed even though I didn't have any symptoms of endo except for infertility. I never had any pain associated with endo. After the laparoscopy, I found out that I had lots of endo and there was no way that my tubes were catching my eggs. The only hope for us was IVF. So that's what we did to get pregnant.

Anyway, after the lap I did lots of research on endo and discovered that endo can cause LPD. My RE said that the endo "could have" been causing the LPD, but there was no way of knowing for sure.

Sorry this is soooo long, but what I wanted to get across is that LPD is usually a symptom of the real problem. Clomid or something like that can fix LPD and there's a good chance that's all you'll need. I just had another major issue going on that was probably causing my LPD. Mine was an extreme case, so don't freak out thinking you might need IVF, more than likely you won't. I hope this helps! Good luck!
June 27th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks so much for the info AllisonC. I was thinking of trying few more rounds of Clomid if I don't have any more cyst issues and maybe from there getting further testing done. My husband and I have been thinking about IVF being a possibility b/c it seems to be very sucessful. How many IVF treatments before you got pregnant?...i think the expense is wht freaks up out the most about it!

As for the other questions asked, I have not been tested for any fertility issues but since i bleed sometimes as soon as 3 DPO my dr said i have luteal phase defect. This month I started spotting 7DPO and so i started Prometrium 200mg (he gave me 10 tablets which would get me to my cycle day 29)but I'm still spotting very lightly even after 5 pills. The left over follicle did turn into a cyst which is why i had to stop clomid this month. I took 100mg of Clomid so depending what my RE says i may ask for just 50mg. The 100mg did help with the LPD i never spotted while on it but maybe its too strong.
June 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
I have heard that b6 helps with that too..dont know how true it is though as i dont have that..however b6 also helps with lots of other things too..like pms and all that good stuff! good luck i hope you get something figured out! Here is some info!

What is a Luteal Phase Defect or LPD?

Correction of Luteal Phase Defect

Fertility charting is an easy way of detecting whether you have luteal phase defect. If you do, donít worry because luteal phase defect can be easily corrected. Immediately seek the advice of your physician first before starting any treatments to correct it. In most case, luteal phase defect can be corrected through over-the-counter remedies and/or with prescription drugs.
1. Over the counter remedies for luteal phase defect:
The two main over the counter remedies for luteal phase defect are vitamin B6 and progesterone cream. Vitamin B6 is perfectly safe and can be taken daily in dosages from 50 mg to 200 mg. Taking vitamin B6 every day during the entire month will help to lengthen the luteal phase.
A progesterone cream is usually targeted for menopausal women; however this cream is also useful in lengthening the luteal phase. A cream with natural progesterone works best. Use about 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon of progesterone cream spread on the inner arm, inner thigh, neck, and chest - alternating places - twice a day from ovulation to menstruation or until the 10th week of pregnancy.
2. Prescription drugs for luteal phase defect:
The most common prescription drugs for luteal phase defect patients are Clomid or progesterone suppositories. Clomid is taken orally as prescribed by the doctor. The suppositories are taken through the vagina after ovulation has occurred and until either day 14 post ovulation or at some point weeks later during a pregnancy, if pregnancy occurred.

Last edited by Jessie0505; June 27th, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
June 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgirl77 View Post
Thanks so much for the info AllisonC. I was thinking of trying few more rounds of Clomid if I don't have any more cyst issues and maybe from there getting further testing done. My husband and I have been thinking about IVF being a possibility b/c it seems to be very sucessful. How many IVF treatments before you got pregnant?...i think the expense is wht freaks up out the most about it!

As for the other questions asked, I have not been tested for any fertility issues but since i bleed sometimes as soon as 3 DPO my dr said i have luteal phase defect. This month I started spotting 7DPO and so i started Prometrium 200mg (he gave me 10 tablets which would get me to my cycle day 29)but I'm still spotting very lightly even after 5 pills. The left over follicle did turn into a cyst which is why i had to stop clomid this month. I took 100mg of Clomid so depending what my RE says i may ask for just 50mg. The 100mg did help with the LPD i never spotted while on it but maybe its too strong.
We were sucessful on our first try with IVF. We were also very freaked out by the expense and the possibility of it not working. My RE gave us a 40% chance of it working and we decided that we were willing to gamble on that 40% adn we're glad we did.

Also, Jessie mentioned the B6 helping LPD. I've heard some ladies say that it helped their LPD. I tried many months of B6 and it never extended my LP. But, it's just a vitamin and something cheap and safe to try.
June 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks Everyone for the help. I have tried the B6 and it didn't work, heck the prescribed progesterone pills haven't even worked! I'm hoping my cyst has gone away and i can try the Clomid for a few months since I just got to use it for 1 month. I'm also coming up with a list of questions to ask my dr about endo and other stuff.
June 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
I'm a little surprised that your RE has not done any testing. I have LPD but my RE put me throught a full work up. I ended up getting (and staying) pregnant using estrogen, clomid, progesterone and baby asprin.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
June 28th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
well if you only got to use it one month maybe he will give you a higher dose!! i sure hope that helps you and that cyst goes away! good luck! kup!
June 29th, 2010, 12:52 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any advice, other than to just ask your RE what he thinks is best.
Good luck!
June 30th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. I actually go to my RE tomorrow to do a follicle scan to see if I can start another dose of Clomid. My husband and I are going to make a list of questions for the doctor. He did a blood test (8 viles of blood)to check many things but I haven't had any type of biopsy or anything like that. I will keep you updated.
July 1st, 2010, 05:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck at your appointment today!

Yet another wonderful siggy by HeatherW.... thank you so much!!!

July 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM
So my follicle cyst is still there so no clomid again this month. He gave me a prescription for prometrium to take after i ovulate this month for any possible spotting. I asked about endo and he said he didn't think that i had that b/c i don't have the symptons and that endo causes what they call chocolate cysts. I asked about taking BC and he said there was no evidence that it helped get rid of cysts and that obviously i wouldn't get pregnant. He said without it I still have a change to conceive and the cyst would not be an issue if i were to become pregnant. Also he said that it could throw my hormones off even more which i think is really my main problem that makes me spot b/c otherwise my cycles and ovulation are just fine. So frustrating though. i just want my back to function normally again so i can get pregnant!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search