IVF advice

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Dóchas's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies. I know I have been MIA from here after my failed IUI's I needed a break.
Anyway our 1st IVF consultation is coming up in 3 weeks time and I'm really excited to get going with it.

So my question is:~

What questions should I ask my RE? It will be my 1st time meeting him and I have to travel 5 hrs on the train to Dublin so I want to write everything down so I won't forget.

Is there anything ye would advice me to ask?
Thanks girls

[SIZE="3"]

April 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*Lurking* I didn't know you were moving on to IVF. I'm so excited for you Becks!!! I hope you get your BFP very soon and your IVF cycle will be successful
April 18th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks honey. Ya I'm excited to be moving on at last.

I've been lurking and keeping an eye on you as well and I'm praying the IUI worked and your bean is getting all cosy.
Good Luck honey and PM me on FB if you need me.

[SIZE="3"]

April 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Regular
Rebecca - I know IVF is never where any of us wanted to end up, but really hope you are successful and this brings you your BFP!

I wanted to respond since in hindsight there were so many questions I didn't ask that I wished I had! We actually ended up doing our IVF cycle with the RE we sought as a 2nd opinion and my initial questions were really more based mostly on how they would determine what protocol was right for me (I wanted more than anything to feel comfortable that I was taking the LEAST amount of meds necessary to get the job done!). I also wanted to understand their criteria for #s of embryos transferred - we felt very strongly about only doing a single transfer and wanted to know how they approached that since it seems many practices has different policies on how many embryos they will or will not transfer.

Wishing you all the very best of success - I have to say I was SO overwhelmed at the prospect of IVF before I started, but once the process starts going and you take one day at a time it really was all worth it!
April 20th, 2011, 12:07 PM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Becks!

I have no advice because we havent really gotten that far yet (we did have an IVF consult but it wasnt anything too detailed really, pretty much ended with me crying and my Dr -as usual- couldnt wait to get the hell out of there...) anyway! Im very happy for you and cant wait to hear how it went!!
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

April 30th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs0810 View Post
Rebecca - I know IVF is never where any of us wanted to end up, but really hope you are successful and this brings you your BFP!

I wanted to respond since in hindsight there were so many questions I didn't ask that I wished I had! We actually ended up doing our IVF cycle with the RE we sought as a 2nd opinion and my initial questions were really more based mostly on how they would determine what protocol was right for me (I wanted more than anything to feel comfortable that I was taking the LEAST amount of meds necessary to get the job done!). I also wanted to understand their criteria for #s of embryos transferred - we felt very strongly about only doing a single transfer and wanted to know how they approached that since it seems many practices has different policies on how many embryos they will or will not transfer.

Wishing you all the very best of success - I have to say I was SO overwhelmed at the prospect of IVF before I started, but once the process starts going and you take one day at a time it really was all worth it!
Thanks.
I've spent the last few days on line looking up IVF and writing down what questions I wanted to ask the RE. I just really hope I like him. I want to be comfortable with him.
I have to say I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all, But I just can't wait to get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥Ashley♥ View Post
Hey Becks!

I have no advice because we havent really gotten that far yet (we did have an IVF consult but it wasnt anything too detailed really, pretty much ended with me crying and my Dr -as usual- couldnt wait to get the hell out of there...) anyway! Im very happy for you and cant wait to hear how it went!!
Thanks Ashley. I'm sorry your appointment was so emotional for you. I have a feeling I'll be the same and leave there in tears. I has just been such a long time coming. Even thinking about it makes cry.
I'll defiantly keep ye posted on how it goes.

I just can't believe it's 11 days away

[SIZE="3"]

April 30th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Working mommy
I too had 3 failed IUIs. And I was also a bit shocked about having to do IVF. I still can't believe it's gone this far...
BUT I am SOO ready to do this!! Right now I'm on day 4 of birth control pills to supress my cycle. I have an appt on May 10th to start my injection meds (eek!)

The questions I asked before we started were about possible adverse effects of the medications and if supressing my natural cycle was somehow dangerous to me in the long run. We also asked about increase in potential birth defects in IVF children (not much higher risk if your eggs are good). And I had read that the transfer is very important, including the catheter they use and the environment. So I asked about that. I hope this helps!

Good luck, keep us posted about your appt!
April 30th, 2011, 05:22 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
No advice, but I hope it all goes well!

My Blog
Me: 27, PCOS, ENDO, RPL, severe vitamin D defficiency
Him: 36, severe MFI post VR but counts climbing

2006-2015 7+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

IVF referral in= 7/2017
RE Appt #1- 8/22/2017- doctor swears I don't have PCOS or RPL, go VEGAN to cure all
RE Appt #2- 8/24/2017- sono shows clear cysts, high afc, all bloodwork comes back PCOS typical

PAUSED UNTIL JANUARY 2018 to find a new IVF clinic

April 30th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Super Mommy
i dont have any advice either, but i just read a book on The Infertility Survival Handbook; here are some questions she suggests:

1. Ask about the embryologist - has he/she been responsible for discovering any techniques or technologies?
2. How often is the lab cleaned?
3. How many transfers does the practice perform a week?
4. What are criteria for freezing eggs and for FETS?
5. Does the clinic do blastocyst transfers? dont know what this means
6. Assisted Hatching done?
7. ICSI - ask about that too

Let us know the answers and what happens.

Fingers X for you

Married May 2010
TTC since August 2010, almost a year
IUI in December 2010 - BFP - chemical
IUI on 3/13/11 - BFN
April natural cycle - BFP on 4/22 - chemical confirmed 4/28
IUI done on 5/12 - BFN

IUI #4 done 6/6 - BFN
so sick of getting BFNs

total of 4 failed IUIs
IVF in July

using acupuncture 1x week, Royal Jelly, pre natals, organic Spirulina, Maca Root and Red Raspberry tea
April 30th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Working mommy
Blastocyst transfer means transferring a fertilized embryo on day 5 instead of day 3. Thought to have a better chance of success.

(sorry posted too fast)

If the lab feels they can wait till day 5, it can mean they feel confident enough in their lab to keep the embryos for that long.
May 1st, 2011, 01:33 AM
Thanks girls. I will be adding those questions to my list. I might post my questions if they might help someone else.

I didn't know what Blastocyst was either so I'll be defiantly adding that one to my questions.
How many fertilized embryos do clinic's usually transfer? I would love twins
I can't believe its so soon. We've been waiting for it for so long.

Katie L your appointment is the day before mine. Good luck and keep us posted.
I wonder how long after out 1st consultation we will start our IVF cycle. I know because it's a new clinic they want to redo all the tests again...

[SIZE="3"]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search