What are Saline Sonograms Like?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2011, 06:28 AM
Regular
I have a saline sonogram scheduled for Tuesday, and I don't really know what to expect. What were your experiences?

I had the HSG last cycle, and everyone told me it wouldn't hurt, and I almost passed out on the table. Seriously, awful, awful pain and I was really sick the next day. I have to drive myself to and from the sonogram appt, and it's over an hour away (with traffic). I'm a little nervous.

Thanks ladies!
April 22nd, 2011, 06:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had one in the fall and it was really not bad at all. They told me to take some advil beforehand (don't remember how much) and all I felt was a pinch. I had some mild bleeding afterwards but that's to be expected after they go in there. I hope it will be as easy for you too!

Baby girl born Feb 2013

April 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Super Mommy
I don't know anything about saline sonograms, but I just wanted to let you know I literally feel your pain about the HSG! From the sound of it a lot of women have little to no pain, but that was not my experience at all! I was not one of the lucky ones. It was pretty horrible for me!

TTC on our own for over 2 years
Dx with Severe MFI- Blood work shows no Microdeletion and no CF mutations

Ultrasound scheduled 3/22- DONE! Everything looks normal, other than some cysts on my right ovary.
HSG scheduled 4/14- DONE! Tubes are clear!!
On BCP until our IVF w/ICSI scheduled for August!!!
April 23rd, 2011, 05:10 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
I don't have any advice about a saline sono since I have never had one, but just wanted to tell you that I hop[pe it goes well!

My Blog
Me: 27, PCOS, ENDO, RPL, severe vitamin D defficiency
Him: 36, severe MFI post VR but counts climbing

2006-2015 7+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

IVF referral in= 7/2017
RE Appt #1- 8/22/2017- doctor swears I don't have PCOS or RPL, go VEGAN to cure all
RE Appt #2- 8/24/2017- sono shows clear cysts, high afc, all bloodwork comes back PCOS typical

PAUSED UNTIL JANUARY 2018 to find a new IVF clinic

April 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had both an HSG and a saline sonogram. the HSG had me crying, it HURT! The saline sonogram was nothing compared to that, it just felt more like an embryo transfer... just a little cold and uncomfortable, but no pain at all.

Good luck!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
April 23rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had two - they're not bad at all. Take some tylenol or something before hand if you are worried

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

April 23rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had one last week, not bad at all. I also took some Advil before hand, but it really was not painful at all, a little uncomfortable, but not painful. My RE recommended NOT emptying your bladder before hand. She said it makes it easier to insert the catheter if your bladder is not empty. The most uncomfortable part for me was that i needed to pee really bad, lol. Good luck!

Thank you Sara (misfitinmn) for my awesome siggy!

April 23rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallflower View Post
I don't know anything about saline sonograms, but I just wanted to let you know I literally feel your pain about the HSG! From the sound of it a lot of women have little to no pain, but that was not my experience at all! I was not one of the lucky ones. It was pretty horrible for me!
It's good to know I'm not the only one the HSG was painful for! I'm planning on taking Motrin before the sonogram just in case.

By the way, I have my RE appt on the 26th too! We'll be doing the sonogram and discussing all the results of my tests and coming up with a treatment plan/more diagnostics.
April 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
Blondn6ft's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Guess I have been blessed ... have had both ... no pain or problems from either ... just a little leaky feeling afterwards.

Good Luck !

April 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In my own experience, an HSG makes a saline sono feel like a cake walk

Good luck! You'll do great!
April 24th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChewy_07 View Post
It's good to know I'm not the only one the HSG was painful for! I'm planning on taking Motrin before the sonogram just in case.

By the way, I have my RE appt on the 26th too! We'll be doing the sonogram and discussing all the results of my tests and coming up with a treatment plan/more diagnostics.

Oo, yay, an appointment buddy!

That's what our appointment is too, going over all the results and coming up with a plan! I'm really excited/slightly nervous to be at this point!

Let us know how it all goes!

Ultrasound scheduled 3/22- DONE! Everything looks normal, other than some cysts on my right ovary.
April 25th, 2011, 07:35 AM
ccartanddesign's Avatar With Faith
What is a saline sonogram for?
Me-38 DH-38. TTC #1 since August 2009
2/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection BFN
3/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection
4/2011 - not doing IUI - DH out of town
5/2011 - IUI with Femara and HCG trigger. In hospital due to infection from IUI.
Took a break from all meds this summer.
9/2011: - Start with new RE - testing begins.
10/2011: - Hysteroscopy - determine tubes are blocked.
10/2011 : - Laparoscopy - clip blocked tubes, determine right ovary is adhered to pelvic wall, cut adhesions
11/24/2011: IVF cycle #1 begins. Start stims.
12/2/2011: End stims. HCG trigger.
12/4/2011: Egg Retrieval. 9 eggs, only 1 embryo.
12/7/2011: Transfer.
12/20/2011: IVF #1 failed.
1/16/2012: IVF #2 first scan
"Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matt. 19:26
April 25th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallflower View Post
Oo, yay, an appointment buddy!

That's what our appointment is too, going over all the results and coming up with a plan! I'm really excited/slightly nervous to be at this point!

Let us know how it all goes!
I definitely will! I just found out my husband wants to come to the appointment with me. I didn't know he was that interested, honestly... I thought this was kind of "my thing" because he has put off and put off getting his semen labs done. I am glad I don't have to drive myself though; I hate DC traffic in the morning! The beltway is a nightmare!

And hooray for appointment buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccartanddesign View Post
What is a saline sonogram for?
During my HSG last month they found an anomaly in my lower uterine segment. The doctor said it was either a fibroid or an air bubble (lol). The high-risk prenatal OB I had a consult with said he thought it might be scar tissue from my c-section, and he wants to know the results too.

I'm pretty curious too, honestly. At least I found out my tubes were clear at my HSG!
April 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChewy_07 View Post
I definitely will! I just found out my husband wants to come to the appointment with me. I didn't know he was that interested, honestly... I thought this was kind of "my thing" because he has put off and put off getting his semen labs done. I am glad I don't have to drive myself though; I hate DC traffic in the morning! The beltway is a nightmare!

And hooray for appointment buddies
Aww, that's great that he wants to go with you! My DH is coming with me too, which is great so that we can hear everything together and I don't have to try to remember everything the RE says!

I HATE driving in horrible traffic by myself too!

April 25th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Super Mommy
CCartanddesign - it is to see if anything that the HSG missed might be in the uterus, as it just looks at the uterus; sometimes, if there is a small fibroid, the HSG might miss it and the saline sono will pick it up; one doc said if there is something in the uterus, it can act like an IUD and therefore, prevent a pregnancy; i had to ask for one - they did not automatically do on me, which, i find stupid, as i had a myomectomy a couple of yrs ago

Mrs Chewy - it is over in like 5 seconds - i took 400mg of motrin an hour before - they just put a small catheter in, syringe slowly pushes in saline and uterus is easy to see on Ultrasound; did not have one ounce of pain; sorry you ahd such a bad experience w HSG - mine was a complete walk in the park - did not feel a **** thing

good luck tomorrow

Married May 2010
TTC since August 2010, almost a year
IUI in December 2010 - BFP - chemical
IUI on 3/13/11 - BFN
April natural cycle - BFP on 4/22 - chemical confirmed 4/28
IUI done on 5/12 - BFN

IUI #4 done 6/6 - BFN
so sick of getting BFNs

total of 4 failed IUIs
IVF in July

using acupuncture 1x week, Royal Jelly, pre natals, organic Spirulina, Maca Root and Red Raspberry tea

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search