IUI info

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2011, 03:46 PM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You ladies have gotten me very curious about IUI. From what I have read, it may be a cheaper option for us rather than my husband having surgery.

I would love some more info on it. Specifically with pricing. We would be paying cash because my insurance does not pay any part of fertility treatments.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
April 26th, 2011, 05:46 PM
wishfulgal
I just had my first IUI today and paid for it out of pocket and I wrote out a check for $357, which is actually lower than I thought it was going to be. I think $500 is a typical cost for an IUI (that doesn't include meds or any ultrasound monitoring you may need.) Personally, I took clomid which cost me $10 and I didn't have any ultrasound monitoring at all. Alot of doctors do like to do monitoring and sometimes a trigger shot so all of those costs can add up as well. But based on the counts you mentioned in your other post, I would think IUI would be a good option for you

I found this link for you:

Fertility treatment: Artificial insemination (IUI) | BabyCenter
April 26th, 2011, 06:14 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We paid out of pocket as well...$565 included one ultrasound and the sperm washing/IUI. Our insurance actually covered my Clomid and Trigger, but even without insurance I think you could get both for less than $75.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

April 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What is the sperm washing?

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
April 27th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Toots216's Avatar Super Mommy
Sperm washing is when they separate the sperm from the semen so it can be used for IUI - you can't be inseminated with straight semen because it would cause extreme pain.

My insurance covers the ultrasounds and bloodwork, but nothing else for IF, no meds or anything. My IUIs have cost $380, clomid $18 at Walmart, trigger shot $55, plus all of my co-pays for each time I go in for monitoring ($25 a pop). Double-check with your insurance to see if they will cover the u/s and blood - that part of the process is actually way more expensive that the IUI itself.

9/27/10 @ 7w1d
12/3/10 @ 5w4d

Our rainbow baby, William Patrick, finally arrived at 39w5d on 2/23/12!
7 pounds, 19 inches of healthy baby boy!
April 27th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Regular
If we end up going through with IUI the fee for us is about $500 at our clinic. I don't know what the medicines & all cost because we are a military family; we pay for IUI and IVF but the other stuff is covered by our insurance.

From the other responses, it looks like $500 is pretty normal price for an IUI procedure.
April 27th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots216 View Post
Sperm washing is when they separate the sperm from the semen so it can be used for IUI - you can't be inseminated with straight semen because it would cause extreme pain.

My insurance covers the ultrasounds and bloodwork, but nothing else for IF, no meds or anything. My IUIs have cost $380, clomid $18 at Walmart, trigger shot $55, plus all of my co-pays for each time I go in for monitoring ($25 a pop). Double-check with your insurance to see if they will cover the u/s and blood - that part of the process is actually way more expensive that the IUI itself.
Why would that cause extreme pain? I knew they separated the sperm out from the other fluid, but I didn't know that direct insemination would hurt.
April 27th, 2011, 08:30 AM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had two done at two different RE's offices, one was around $450 I believe and the other was around $360....my insurance doesnt cover ANYTHING so we also had to pay for each of our ultrasounds ($350 a pop!) Clomid ($20) and trigger ($90).
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search