Log In Sign Up

what to do...


Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
April 28th, 2011, 07:15 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 16,621
DH and I have to decide what route we want to take.

My only 'known' issue is egg quality. If the recurrent m/c's have another reason it has been undetermined, and I can't think of a test they haven't done.

Before DS, I had 3 losses, then laproscopy/hysterscopy, which removed a cyst from my uterus and cleared out my tubes-which had in the RE's words had some 'boogers' in them.
We then did 2 cycles of clomid/trigger/iui both BFN's
Then one cycle of injectables/trigger/iui and got out BFP, was twins, we lost one twin @ 7.5 weeks from most likely a chromosomal issue, as s/he never looked quite right even after the HB.
This time we had 2 losses before going back to the RE, one super early the other at 9.5 weeks which was confirmed that he had trisomy 18.
First cycle back with the RE we did injectables/trigger/iui- BFP, twins only to lose them at 6 weeks.

What we have to decide is, do we try again with the injectable/iui, whcih we can do in July. Or wait till January (have to wait till then to afford it) and do IVF with PGD. My insurance as of this year dropped all infertility coverage.
I have responded well to the injectables/iui, they have worked, just didn't stick this time, but no way to keep from getting bad eggs.
With IVF there is no guarantee that they will get a decent number of healthy eggs, and that the healthy eggs will actually fertilize, let alone stick. Or that if we freeze they will survive that process. The biggest benefit is that we can rule out chromosomal issues before transfer.

I'm just really torn about what we should do. My RE is willing to do IUI again, because it's obvious I can get pregnant, but I know if we mentioned we were considering IVF he would jump on it.

Any ideas ladies?
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #2  
April 28th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY Baby!
Posts: 639
i dont know; i am sorta in the same boat - just havent suffered like you have - i just had my 2nd chemical - meeting w RE tomorrow to make a plan - i can get pg too - just not sticking for long - i would like to do 1more IUI - this time with injectables but i am confused bc i prob will get pg, but how will we prevent anotehr loss again? i will let you know what he says tomorrow
__________________
acgka; ALI

Married May 2010
TTC since August 2010, almost a year
IUI in December 2010 - BFP - chemical
IUI on 3/13/11 - BFN
April natural cycle - BFP on 4/22 - chemical confirmed 4/28
IUI done on 5/12 - BFN

IUI #4 done 6/6 - BFN
so sick of getting BFNs

total of 4 failed IUIs
IVF in July

using acupuncture 1x week, Royal Jelly, pre natals, organic Spirulina, Maca Root and Red Raspberry tea
Reply With Quote
  #3  
April 28th, 2011, 07:40 AM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 14,102
Ugh, this is a tough one and its hard to tell my opinion because its a HUGE decision and completely up to you guys....but if it were ME I would wait and do IVF only because like you said, you can rule out any chromosomal/genetic issues. But then on the other hand you got your DS out of injectibles/IUI so maybe you'll get lucky again next time? Tough situation! Good Luck to you in whatever you decide and keep us updated!
__________________
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW




Reply With Quote
  #4  
April 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Regular
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 94
((hugs)) That sounds like a rough decision to make
Reply With Quote
  #5  
April 28th, 2011, 10:41 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 13,408
That's such a tough decision, Sam. You got Bug from injectables and IUI, but you've had so many heartbreaking losses. IVF might help this to be your last loss. Ugh! You're in my thoughts and prayers! I hope whatever you choose leads you to your rainbow baby!
__________________



Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!


Reply With Quote
  #6  
April 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
KMH KMH is offline
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: right of center
Posts: 19,318
(((HUGS))), Sam. It sucks that we even have to think about things like this!!

Have you had any type of genetic testing done already? Does your RE think that would be helpful?
__________________


Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

Reply With Quote
  #7  
April 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM
peace.love.audrey
Guest
Posts: n/a
Hey Sam. You might not be to this point yet, but have you considered donor eggs?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
April 28th, 2011, 06:13 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,756
Sam, I'm so sorry you're in this position I can see both sides- has your RE given you any numbers on the impact that egg quality has on an IUI vs. an IVF cycle? If you save up for IVF, is that your last chance? Whereas you might be able to afford several more IUI cycles? Whatever you decide, I just know you will get your baby.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
April 29th, 2011, 07:55 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 16,621
Thanks ladies!
We haven't gotten to the point of donor eggs, I know I have good ones in there- as does the RE. I'm not sure DH will even go there.

I haven't talked to the RE about what he thinks will be the best route- mainly because I'm afraid he will jump on the IVF wagon before I am ready. And until I know the full cost, I think the IVF would be at least a one shot deal with the retrieval. If we have embryos that we could freeze and that survived that process, we would be able to do other transfers, but age wise it would be a one shot deal. With IUI we could easily afford to do several more cycles. Again just coming up to the age barrier there too.

I think I'm just going to ponder it for this month, then if we haven't come to our own conclusion, I'll set something up with the RE in June to discuss options.
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:12 PM.