Success with injectibles?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2011, 06:05 AM
Toots216's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi ladies, I'm just finishing up my last clomid cycle - my IUI will be sometime this week, but I'm not real hopeful bc my last two cycles have failed (with 2 follies each time), and this time I only have one follie that seems to be a slow grower.

Anyhoo, if this cycle is also a bust, DH and I are taking a break until June, but we need to decide if A) we want to move onto injectibles or B) we want to pursue an IVF study in NYC. We pay for everything OOP, so the study would be our only real chance at doing IVF. Another thing to throw in the mix is that the summer is the only time we can really focus on injectibles or IVF bc we have a lot of time off of work for monitoring. So basically, we have until September to do treatments.

Has anyone actually had success with injectibles and IUI? Is it worth the time and money? My only issue has been recurrent loss - I've gotten pg twice on my own, but lost them, and my RE has been unable to find anything else going on with me.

9/27/10 @ 7w1d
12/3/10 @ 5w4d

Our rainbow baby, William Patrick, finally arrived at 39w5d on 2/23/12!
7 pounds, 19 inches of healthy baby boy!
May 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is a tough one. I am in a similiar position...

When I switched from clomid/iui to INJ/iui I got pregnant on the second try with my son.

Now this time around my body responded differently- I over stimmed every time. Lots of eggs but had to trigger earlier so that the bigger ones of all of them released and didnt give a chance for all the others to grow and release. basically my response to the meds made the 3 IUI's with INJ a big waste of time. My doctor is confidant that IUI/INJ WOULD work, but could take up to 6 cycles and going really slow with stims to focus on just one or two eggs- He recommended IVF due to the response and the higher success rates.

So really it all depends on your situation. For me, it will make more sense to do IVF- You just have decided what makes more sense for YOU.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you do!
May 2nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks Melissa - I think I'm just really scared of the cost associated with the injectibles. And part of me thinks that if we have to do 3+ cycles of injectibles, then maybe we should just skip it altogether and save that money plus whatever else we can to do IVF next year or something. SIGH.

Good luck with your IVF journey, I'll definitely be stalking you.

9/27/10 @ 7w1d
12/3/10 @ 5w4d

May 2nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Super Mommy
We tried 4 cycles of injectibles after Clomid and didn't have any luck. I wish we had just gone straight to IVF and skipped the injectible cycles. We would have had much greater of a chance of conceiving trying IVF than injectibles. And would have spent

Best of luck in whatever you decide. Let me know if you decide to the IVF route. I think DH and I have decided to go that route and will be starting soon.
May 2nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if injectibles weren't so expensive I would definitely choose to do more IUI cycles. This is what my friend (who also used to be the embryologist at my clinic but now works in Australia

"you are better off doing IVF in terms of a money worth investment at this point, an IUI would eventually work but you have to ask yourself which one? The 4th or the 10th and how far will you go before youve spent as much as an IVF cycle would cost?"

She was speaking about my specific situation, but I think you could relate.
May 2nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Super Mommy
Hi Kristen - i just started Follistim injection last night - i have done 2 IUIs - 1 natural and 1 w Femara - both did not work

I just did a totally natural cycle this pas tmonth and got pregnant, on my own, but lost at 4+ weeks -

anyway, i am trying 1 more IUI w injectables this time - part of the reason is that it will give the RE a chance to see how my body reacts to injectables, which, is all IVF - so, this is kinda a test run, for him, and, me - i have never had injections so i want to see how i react and tolerate

my insurance does not cover any fertility stuff either, nothing! however, i do have an ok rx plan, so the follistim was covered

w Femara i had 3 eggs; hoping that i get a 1/2 dozen w this - quality is always better so i would rather see a couple really good mature follies than a large # of immature

also, i am scared of IVF so this is good for me; maybe will lessen my anxiety if i need to do IVF, which, will be the next step if this does not work; lastly, i have been told that IUIs take a while to work; something like 3 ups your chances and this is my 3rd, so, it better be a charm

Married May 2010
TTC since August 2010, almost a year
IUI in December 2010 - BFP - chemical
IUI on 3/13/11 - BFN
April natural cycle - BFP on 4/22 - chemical confirmed 4/28
IUI done on 5/12 - BFN

IUI #4 done 6/6 - BFN
so sick of getting BFNs

total of 4 failed IUIs
IVF in July

using acupuncture 1x week, Royal Jelly, pre natals, organic Spirulina, Maca Root and Red Raspberry tea
May 2nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all the feedback ladies. This is all so confusing and frustrating. I think once this cycle is over, I'll have a much clearer picture.

Ali - I'll definitely be following your story to see how you do with the shots (so sorry for your loss, too). Our rx plan doesn't cover any fertility meds, so moving on to injectibles for us will be a huge financial commitment. It may be better for us to just hold off for a year and save as much as we can for IVF (although I'm going to be 36 in the fall, which is a whole other worry!). I'm not scared of IVF at all, I just don't want to burden us financially when having children is such a financial commitment to begin with. Like I would hate to be $20K behind at the beginning of a child's life, when that money could be used to help with a whole variety of things like childcare, education, etc etc etc. Maybe if we save up for a year, we could cut that number in half and finance the rest? Who knows. Right now I'm just praying for some clarity.

Also, I have several friends who have done IVF and they said it really wasn't as bad as you think. Hopefully your next IUI will be a success and you won't have to worry about it though.

9/27/10 @ 7w1d
12/3/10 @ 5w4d

May 2nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
Super Mommy
also, one more thing to try - my doc is very sympathetic to the fact that we dont have insurance and was going to give me samples of Follistim, if my insurance did not cover - can you ask for samples for 1 cycle? i used to be a pharmaceutical rep and if the doc is writing a lot of rxs, the rep can give the doc samples , even though this stuff is expensive - i really would try

also, some companies that manufacture the drugs used will help pts out - i think one is Serono - you can go on the website and see if you would qualify for samples

Married May 2010
TTC since August 2010, almost a year
IUI in December 2010 - BFP - chemical
IUI on 3/13/11 - BFN
April natural cycle - BFP on 4/22 - chemical confirmed 4/28
IUI done on 5/12 - BFN

IUI #4 done 6/6 - BFN
so sick of getting BFNs

total of 4 failed IUIs
IVF in July

using acupuncture 1x week, Royal Jelly, pre natals, organic Spirulina, Maca Root and Red Raspberry tea
May 2nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have done injectables and IUI twice. First one was with Gonal and that resulted in DS.
The second one was using Follistim, and also a BFP (last m/c). So for me injectable/iui cycles have been successful. At this point I think I am also doing one more cycle before thinking of moving on to IVF.

May 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Geez...that's a tough decision. My daughter is an inectable/IUI success story. But I think it depends on your condition too (mine being PCOS).

Basically, we did 3 cycles of Clomid (after trying for 1 year on our own); I got pregnant the first cycle but had an early m/c. The other two cycles I had 2 and 3 follies, but did not get pregnant. However, Clomid gave me some nasty s/e such as vision changes and thin lining. Because of the vision changes, we decided that I could no longer do Clomid and switched to Gonal F. I got pregnant with Alexandra my first month of injections and IUI. So the success rates are higher (and I only had two follies that month) with injections because you generally make more eggs (except that I did not) and because your lining is usually great (which is what I think helped us).

Our decision to move to injectables was fairly easy, given that my insurance paid for most of the meds and the whole IUI. But, if I were you (and I don't know your exact situation), maybe look seriously at the IVF trial choice, if you think that's the only feasible way to do IVF. IVF has the highest success rates and perhaps you could do the procedure where they look at the genetics of the embryo before transferring it. I can't think of the name...maybe PGD or something?

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

May 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
ccartanddesign's Avatar With Faith
That's a tough one. This month will be my 3rd IUI. My doctor called to say she wanted to try an injectibe instead of me taking my Femara pills. But I had already started my cycle of pills and she said we'd have to wait until next month. Not sure what she wants me to try. Let us know what you choose.
Me-38 DH-38. TTC #1 since August 2009
2/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection BFN
3/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection
4/2011 - not doing IUI - DH out of town
5/2011 - IUI with Femara and HCG trigger. In hospital due to infection from IUI.
Took a break from all meds this summer.
9/2011: - Start with new RE - testing begins.
10/2011: - Hysteroscopy - determine tubes are blocked.
10/2011 : - Laparoscopy - clip blocked tubes, determine right ovary is adhered to pelvic wall, cut adhesions
11/24/2011: IVF cycle #1 begins. Start stims.
12/2/2011: End stims. HCG trigger.
12/4/2011: Egg Retrieval. 9 eggs, only 1 embryo.
12/7/2011: Transfer.
12/20/2011: IVF #1 failed.
1/16/2012: IVF #2 first scan
"Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matt. 19:26
May 2nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
MrsB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't do an IUI but we did have success with injectables. We did 7 cycles of clomid then moved on to injections. One cycle of Gonal F with HCG trigger and we got pregnant. I also used progesterone suppositories to keep me pregnant. When I triggered I only had 1 egg as I didn't respond that well to the Gonal F. I do only have 1 ovary that works though. But the injections made me produce a good egg.

Any way of pursuing the IVF trial and still try a month of injections? I'd assume the process to get into the trial takes some time. Good luck either way!

After 2 losses, 2 rounds of fertility testing, 2 laproscopies and a D&C,
7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Our Miracle John Michael was born April 25th 2011 @ 4:36pm!

Last edited by MrsB; May 4th, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
May 3rd, 2011, 09:18 AM
There may be a possibility of us trying one month of injectibles as well as pursuing the study, but it's mostly going to depend on what my injectible protocol would be and the cost. Plus part of me (as well as DH) thinks we should just save the money on the injectible cycle(s) and wait a year to do IVF. DH and I talked about it last night, and while he's worried about finances too, he believes the answer will just come to us. I <3 him.

9/27/10 @ 7w1d
12/3/10 @ 5w4d

May 4th, 2011, 11:36 AM
MrsB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our month of injections was $440 oop, my insurance paid 50% of fertility meds. This was for 2 300IU cartridges of follistim and 1 ovidril. We also purchased some from one of the JM girls here for just her co-pay.

You can check with your clinic to see if they have donated meds. Also freegaragesale.com has fertility meds. I sold my leftovers (still sealed) there to someone local to me so we didn't have to do shipping and worry about fraud.

After 2 losses, 2 rounds of fertility testing, 2 laproscopies and a D&C,
7 cycles of Clomid, an HSG and a cycle of Injections we finally received our BFP on August 19th!

Our Miracle John Michael was born April 25th 2011 @ 4:36pm!

May 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Kristen. If you decide to take a break from MA I hope you get pregnant on your own! ((hugs))

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search