Question about BBT charting...

• I fianlly started charting my BBT on May 1st. So far it's not been very helpful.

I was told to take my temp close to when I first wake up. It usually takes me at least 3-5 min or so to really wake up so I keep my thermometer by my bed. Now...my temperature is not 98.6 its usually around 97.6 and the last 2 days my BBT has been below 97.5 (that's as far down as the chart I have goes)One day it was 96.5. Now I do know one day my sleep was interrupted like 3 times (thirsty, then my husband, then dogs) one day so that might be a reason but...

Am I doing it wrong? It feels like I am because I can't even chart it some days...HELP!
  • Re: Question about BBT charting...
    It takes a while to establish a real pattern, don't give up! You may not be doing anything wrong, just showing normal fluctuations. The first month doing it can be sketchy anyway, just getting used to temping everyday.

And the lower temps are very normal, most of us run pretty low, especially before getting up.
    Ditto. Don't give up yet. I would recommend looking into starting a chart on fertilityfriend.com. The site is incredibly helpful and has a lot of great advice on charting and it does all the work for you. There is also a charting forum on JM which the ladies are incredibly helpful. I also wanted to mention that I am not a great sleeper so had difficulty with inconsistant temps and ended up temping vaginally with much better results. It's also pretty common to be in the 97 degree range - I actually only hit 98 degrees during my post O temps. HTH! Good luck to you!
    Are you moving around or talking before temping? Are you taking it at the exact same time every morning? (You CAN fluctuate 30 minutes give or take, but it is most accurate temping at the same time) If you are taking it anymore than 30 minutes before or later than the day before its useless and dont count it!
    i really cant deal w temping; it is just too much for me - have to remember too many things as it is, like giving myself a shot of whiskey, i mean follistim every night - seriously, i almost forget every night
    It can take up to three cycles to really begin to see the pattern in your cahrts, so don't give up!

In order for temping to be most accurate, you need to take your temp at the same time EVERY day, 7 days a week, after at least 3 hrs of sleep, with as little moving as possible upon waking. It's very normal to not be at 98.6 for your temps. I really strongly suggest you read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler, it's an amazing read and will teach you so much about charting.