I might be joining you ladies

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amy a caution with the trials. They will often use plenty of factors to disqualify you, including PCOS and sperm counts. I know some disqualify if you've had even one miscarriage, and others for FSH levels over a certain number. Almost all state that you absolutely must be in a certain BMI range as well as fasting sugar states.

Just a note because it's shocking to see how many women they'll disqualify. most of the time they want women who mainly have bad tubes, but ok ovulation patterns, normal hormones, normal weight, normal "everything". Except none of us fit all those criteria very often!

Just something to be highly aware of when planning financially.

Continue to also check out clinicaltrials.gov for other trials going for IVF and infertility

May 6th, 2011, 11:27 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Trials are hard to get into. Definitely keep that in mind.
Also something to think about- is having your DH do things to up his sperm count and motility on your own such as some of the fertility blend vitamins, wearing boxers, ect.. Its a cheap alternative and a good place to start.

Hope one of the leads works for you DH.

May 6th, 2011, 11:47 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I did not even know that they did clinical trials. So I learned something new!

Hopefully it all works out for you.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
May 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
Aww..sweetie! First off welcome! im Jessie. I cant begin to tell you how much you sound like i did when i was told ivf was it! I didnt believe the dr. i couldnt..and my husband said the same thing yours did! Then as time went on i realized it was a new beginning..there was finally a chance i could get pregnant..not the way i wanted to..but i could and that was all that mattered! And a trial? Those are soo hard to find and actually get into! i would soo take it..i know it sux that you have to wait..but just think it could all be worth it..im still paying on my ivf that i had over a year ago..and it isnt fun..its still so heartbreaking! So $2000 sounds amazing! id jump right in! Who knows..you might just get that surprise bfp!! We were told that we had a 1% chance..our ivf failed and 6 months later..boom! Dh had no normal sperm and i had "bad eggs" there are a few ladies on this board in the same boat! So hang in there hun! i know easier said then done! BIG HUGS!
May 6th, 2011, 04:22 PM
ccartanddesign's Avatar With Faith
Jessie, how was it determined that you had bad eggs?

SamF, what is the fertility blend for men?

Thanks ladies!
Me-38 DH-38. TTC #1 since August 2009
2/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection BFN
3/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection
4/2011 - not doing IUI - DH out of town
5/2011 - IUI with Femara and HCG trigger. In hospital due to infection from IUI.
Took a break from all meds this summer.
9/2011: - Start with new RE - testing begins.
10/2011: - Hysteroscopy - determine tubes are blocked.
10/2011 : - Laparoscopy - clip blocked tubes, determine right ovary is adhered to pelvic wall, cut adhesions
11/24/2011: IVF cycle #1 begins. Start stims.
12/2/2011: End stims. HCG trigger.
12/4/2011: Egg Retrieval. 9 eggs, only 1 embryo.
12/7/2011: Transfer.
12/20/2011: IVF #1 failed.
1/16/2012: IVF #2 first scan
"Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matt. 19:26
May 6th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Super Mommy
welcome Amy! i am a big fan of 2nd opinions, if you can hack it; also, maybe have your husband get checked out by a urologist - my RE sent us there pretty much right away, to rule out Vericose veins and check the semen #s

Married May 2010
TTC since August 2010, almost a year
IUI in December 2010 - BFP - chemical
IUI on 3/13/11 - BFN
April natural cycle - BFP on 4/22 - chemical confirmed 4/28
IUI done on 5/12 - BFN

IUI #4 done 6/6 - BFN
so sick of getting BFNs

total of 4 failed IUIs
IVF in July

using acupuncture 1x week, Royal Jelly, pre natals, organic Spirulina, Maca Root and Red Raspberry tea
May 6th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccartanddesign View Post
Jessie, how was it determined that you had bad eggs?

SamF, what is the fertility blend for men?

Thanks ladies!
Usually it's either a combo of high FSH or low egg reserve (Anti Mullerian Hormone counts as really low). At that point, the eggs are more often genetically compromised and more likely to miscarry or have a genetic defect. I've had 5 losses myself due to low egg reserve. The idea is that you use up your good eggs first, and the lower the reserve, the more you are "scraping the bottom of the barrel". I have the eggs of a 50 year old, just at the age of 28.

May 6th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I consulted with a SIRM doc, and they typically will try things outside of the box. They are big believers in acupuncture (blood flow to the uterus) and using supplements like vitamins for sperm count, fish oil for Immuno issues like NK cells. They stated that their early research indicated that NK cells can be suppressed at the same levels as use of intralipids. A few years ago, they,with another Reproductive Immunologist, established that Intralipids could equal IVIG for suppressing NK cells, which is good since IVIG is around $12,000. Intralipids are around $400.

Now they state over the counter fish oil in huge quantities could match the outcomes. They are big believers in patients not being slaves to the medical industry so they support methods that patients don't have to pay tons for, like vitamins for sperm count. They said a specific kind at GNC.

Quote:
• There is some suggestion that the use of antioxidant therapy ( Pycnogenol 200mg daily, L-Carnitine 3 grams per day, acetyl carnitine 500mg per day, Vitamin C 1,000mg per day and Vitamin E 800IU per day) taken for 6-8 weeks , can causes the SDI assay to revert to normal in many cases.There is some suggestion that men who have varicoceles ( a collection of distended veins in the scrotum) associated with an abnormal SDI assay may experience a reversion of the SDI assay back to normal, 3-6 months following surgical or radiological ablation of the varicocele.
I believe it's simply called Mens Fertility Blend
Daily Wellness Company® FertilityBlend™ for Men - DAILY WELLNESS - GNC

May 7th, 2011, 05:37 AM
wishfulgal
I have a list over on the Male infertility board (under infertility tricks) of what my DH takes. His SA is now borderline normal and a year ago we were told IVF was our only option. We have conceived naturally twice with low sperm count, and I don't think both times could have been a fluke.
May 7th, 2011, 11:01 AM
SIRM is a company or group of Infertility Docs in the US. They've pioneered some approaches, and more importantly they were the first group of PRIVATE IVF clinics, meaning all the ones previously were all through a hospital or university. They are part of the reason Reproductive Endocrinology even exists as an outright field in the medical community and Dr Sher is part of who helped begin SART to observe and watch RE's and their progress.

Dr Sher is one of the people who brought IVF from England to America and then decided he wanted people to be able to see an Infertility Doc outside of a hospital like any other regular patient.

They still pioneer many things that other RE's won't touch yet. You'll be surprised to find that many many RE's are incredibly money driven, or at least driven by SART stats. They'll turn away many of us infertile patients, merely because we might have a less successful chance at pregnancy than someone who has a perfect "everything". Why do they even think we are going to them for help! It's not like we can get pregnant on our own! But we might harm their SART stats

This will help immensely with understanding SART
Jumping Over The Rainbow- It Won't Rain Forever!!: How to get SART SMART- Learning how to interpret SART data

The other stuff: Jumping Over The Rainbow- It Won't Rain Forever!!: But how do I TREAT Immune Issues and Infertility once they are diagnosed?

And NK cells are a theory that the same things that fight off illness in our bodies, called Natural Killer Cells, also react incorrectly when introduced to a pregnancy. Instead of our bodies keeping the pregnancy, the Natural Killer cells react as if it's an invader like cancer. IVIG was a transfusion given that suppressed that immune reaction. Think of Diabetes- the body attacks the incorrect part of itself and no longer creates insulin like it should. So you have to give yourself insulin, because the immune reaction went haywire and killed off itself. Intralipids are a much cheaper infusion that seemed to have just as good an outcome at reducing Natural Killer Cells. Now they think Fish Oil in massive quanities can do the same.

And the upside is that none of those medications or transfusions have any negative outcome. In most cases they are little more than fat lipids and salt water

Not all docs believe in Immune issues, but I do. Strongly.

May 7th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Amy, i remember you from the TTC board. That's wonderful that the RE is going to give you a discounted price. I hope IVF works for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
The idea is that you use up your good eggs first, and the lower the reserve, the more you are "scraping the bottom of the barrel". I have the eggs of a 50 year old, just at the age of 28.
I also have elevated FSH at 28. May i ask what your level was? Did they use that in conjunction with the Anti-Mullerian Hormone test to get 50? I had not heard of that test, so im curious if it is something i should have done.

Thank you Sara (misfitinmn) for my awesome siggy!

May 7th, 2011, 11:59 AM
The AMH test tells you your level of egg reserve. Over 1.0 is good, and mine was .29, and then again at .36 so incredibly severely low

My FSH came back at 33. So ungodly high. Then again it's come back at 6 the next cycle.

May 7th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The AMH test tells you your level of egg reserve. Over 1.0 is good, and mine was .29, and then again at .36 so incredibly severely low

My FSH came back at 33. So ungodly high. Then again it's come back at 6 the next cycle.
I'm going to ask my RE about the AMH test next time i go in. My FSH was slightly elevated (11.4), then went down a few months later. My RE said that even though it had gone down, it is not "normal" for it to fluctuate. I've only had it tested twice, so who knows where it is on a month to month basis.

Thank you Sara (misfitinmn) for my awesome siggy!

May 7th, 2011, 09:45 PM
If you have auto immune issues you need to find someone immediately that knows how to test for autoimmune reproductive disorders. Or you'll keep finding yourself doing IVF with the same outcome. I have tons of info for immune stuff and infertility

May 7th, 2011, 10:07 PM
wishfulgal
Quote:

Have you ever had an antral follicle count done? My FSH was high at 12.5 one month, a few months later it was 5.6. My doctor has said it doesn't match my antral follicle count at all and doesn't make sense to him.... my count was 21 a year ago and 18 recently...the same cycle I had the FSH of 5.6. He said they would expect to see a much lower antral count with high FSH, so it is kind of contradiction.
May 8th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I'm with you- My antrals don't always match and even my AMH has fluxuated! .29, then 1.1 then 3.7 and FSH all over the place. NONE of it makes sense. They are going to treat me as if the worst possible situation is happening because that affects IVF med protocol choices

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search