HSG?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2011, 08:24 AM
alleusion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I figured if anyone would know the answer to this, you ladies would.

*back story*

I have 4 children. After my last baby was born via c-section, the OB performed a tubal ligation. Medically, it's not a grand idea for me to get pregnant again, so at the time, this was the best decision we could make. Fast forward a bit. My baby is almost 18 months old. I was due to start AF between May 18-20. Long story short, I was pregnant and miscarried this past Saturday.

I called my doctor this morning because I'm still spotting (first m/c so I don't know how long the bleeding is supposed to last) and to find out what happens next. I'm assuming that since I had a tubal, I'm going to need an HSG to see if the tubes are opened up again.

My question is, what can be expected during an HSG? I've heard it's uncomfortable, but...I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for the gorgeous sig

June 7th, 2011, 02:19 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I have not had one, but a lot of ladies here on the board have, and so has my sister recently after she had her tubes tied to make sure her tubes were closed. From all I have heard, it may or may not be uncomfortable when they shoot the dye in. My sister was given a valium before hand, so she said that she was very comfortable during the whole process. I guess it depends on the person. I am sure another lady on here will give you more details.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
June 8th, 2011, 07:37 AM
ccartanddesign's Avatar With Faith
I had one and it was uncomfortable but not terribly painful. I took an Aleve before the procedure as was recommended.
Me-38 DH-38. TTC #1 since August 2009
2/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection BFN
3/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection
4/2011 - not doing IUI - DH out of town
5/2011 - IUI with Femara and HCG trigger. In hospital due to infection from IUI.
Took a break from all meds this summer.
9/2011: - Start with new RE - testing begins.
10/2011: - Hysteroscopy - determine tubes are blocked.
10/2011 : - Laparoscopy - clip blocked tubes, determine right ovary is adhered to pelvic wall, cut adhesions
11/24/2011: IVF cycle #1 begins. Start stims.
12/2/2011: End stims. HCG trigger.
12/4/2011: Egg Retrieval. 9 eggs, only 1 embryo.
12/7/2011: Transfer.
12/20/2011: IVF #1 failed.
1/16/2012: IVF #2 first scan
"Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matt. 19:26
June 8th, 2011, 08:03 AM
foodieinFL's Avatar Veteran
It wasn't bad. Had about a minute or two of very uncomfortable cramping. Otherwise not bad. Had some light bleeding afterwards. Can't remember what they gave me for pain afterwards, but whatever it was it worked. I took the day off work because I'm a nanny and I didn't want to have to lift a 1-year-old right after. Good luck, you'll be fine!
TTC #1 since 4/08
Unexplained IF
5/09: HSG-clear tubes
6/09: Cycle #1 clomid/ovidrel/progesterone =
7/09: Cycle #2 clomid/ovidrel/progesterone =
11/10: Lap-removed very mild endo, corrected uterine septum
6/11: IUI #1 w/ Gonal F, Ovidrel, progesterone = canceled (overstimulated on meds)
7/11: IUI #2 w/ Gonal F, Ovidrel, progesterone =
Lost my job. Taking a short break from MA
8/11: Natural cycle =
9/11:
June 8th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
it was nothing. I psyched myself out and was a complete mess before hand. It was a cake walk. Little bit of cramping but nothing major. The worst thing was the gross leakage and the antibiotics they made me take before hand.

June 8th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Toots216's Avatar Super Mommy
Mine was not fun, but I haven't had a baby so that may be part of it. I would guess that since you've already given birth several times, it won't be difficult for you (I was freaked out by the "different" pains I was having down there). It's definitely a good idea to take some ibuprofen beforehand - I took 800 mg.

I had no pain or discomfort afterwards, fwiw.

9/27/10 @ 7w1d
12/3/10 @ 5w4d

Our rainbow baby, William Patrick, finally arrived at 39w5d on 2/23/12!
7 pounds, 19 inches of healthy baby boy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search