Canceled IUI Cycle?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2011, 12:27 PM
foodieinFL's Avatar Veteran
Hi all! New here and currently in the midst of my first IUI/injectables. Needless to say, I'm still a bit confused and overwhelmed by the whole process. I'm on CD 8, and had my fifth injection last night. My second sonogram was this morning, and I was told I have a total of 6 follicles, 3 on each side. Am I correct in thinking that not all 6 follicles will develop into eggs? I hate to sound like a complete idiot, but self-admittedly, I'm clueless! Thanks in advance for help/input/advice. So nervous my cycle will be canceled.
TTC #1 since 4/08
Unexplained IF
5/09: HSG-clear tubes
6/09: Cycle #1 clomid/ovidrel/progesterone =
7/09: Cycle #2 clomid/ovidrel/progesterone =
11/10: Lap-removed very mild endo, corrected uterine septum
6/11: IUI #1 w/ Gonal F, Ovidrel, progesterone = canceled (overstimulated on meds)
7/11: IUI #2 w/ Gonal F, Ovidrel, progesterone =
Lost my job. Taking a short break from MA
8/11: Natural cycle =
9/11:
June 7th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Jenn in DC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Foodie. Welcome. I completely understand how overwhelming your first IUI cycle can be! In my experience - you're correct that all of the follicles may not produce mature eggs. Did they tell you how large the follicles were? That's a really important piece of information. You could have 3 follicles that are getting close to being mature (usually around 18 - 20 mm) and the other three may be a lot smaller. Did they cancel your IUI cycle? If so, it may be because all 6 of your follicles were close to maturity and they don't want you to release 6 mature eggs!
Started TTC #1 July 2009
Three IUIs - BFNs
IVF - Cycle Cancelled
Three Rounds of Mini-IVF = 5 frozen embryos
July 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP and then miscarriage
November 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!! Aven Born on August 4, 2012

July 2014 - Got Pregnant Naturally with Twins! Miscarriage at 9 weeks.
November 2014 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!

June 7th, 2011, 03:10 PM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You are correct! Not all follicles will produce mature eggs!! Dont worry! I agree with Jenn that its very important to know the sizes, but since your on CD8 im assuming they're all pretty small right now and probably around the same size.

I noticed in your siggy that you have an MTHFR mutation, may I ask if your hetero or homozygeous? I am heterzygeous and there arent too many girls on here who have been diagnosed with this, so when I see someone I like to ask and see if you are getting any treatment for it as well?
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

June 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM
hollann1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not much help with the IUI question but I wanted to welcome you and wish you good luck on this cycle!!

** Thank you Oona for the awesome siggy**
June 7th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone.
@Jenn: Of course, I forgot to ask the sizes....(ughh, forehead slap). I go back tomorrow morning, so I'll be sure to ask then. They did not cancel, but I was told to decrease my Gonal F dosage from 75 to 37.5.
@Ashley: I am homo for MTHFR (C677T). It is the most severe from of the mutation. When I first learned I had it, which was through a DNA panel, I was completely freaked out/nervous/beside myself. My regular GYN didn't make too big a deal out of it, just suggested mega-doses of folic acid (I take Folgard RX as well as 800 mcg of OTC, for a total of just under 6 mg.....A LOT!) as well as a daily baby aspirin. He also said that if I did get pregnant, I would need to be placed on lovenox, so as to prevent blood clots. Not sure if the hetero version would require the same treatment....?
I feel fortunate to have discovered this before getting pregnant. Most women do not find out they have it until after they miscarry.
@Holly: Thank you, you too!
TTC #1 since 4/08
Unexplained IF
6/11: IUI #1 w/ Gonal F, Ovidrel, progesterone = canceled (overstimulated on meds)
9/11:
June 8th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Ok, so left side has three follies, 15, 15 and 16. Right side has 3 as well, 18, 14 and 15. My sonographer said I would most likely trigger tonight. Problem: I completely forgot about my Ovidrel. Not entirely my fault, since my RE ordered it and Freedom was supposed to call me. I've also been dealing with a very sick 12 year-old dog. So there, that's my excuse. So I am now running around like a mad woman, calling every pharmacy in the area, knowing full well that no one is going to stock it. I'm so done with this week.....and it's only Wednesday.
Sorry about the rant! Anyway, what's the deal with the follicle sizes? Are they all considered mature at those sizes, or just some? I guess what I'm wondering is, how many eggs out of those 6, have a good chance at fertilization, if size is the main factor? Of course, this will all be a moot point if I can't get my hands on any Ovidrel.
TTC #1 since 4/08
Unexplained IF
9/11:

Last edited by foodieinFL; June 8th, 2011 at 06:47 AM. Reason: added to post
June 8th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Super Mommy
anything over 15mm on a medicated cycle is considered mature enough to trigger, at least that is what my RE says; w that being said, they all look really good; you had a really good response to the meds!

if you trigger tonight, you will still have a day and a half of time for the follies to grow more; they usually grow 1-2mm a day

KUP
and i really hope that you get your hands on ovidrell - it is so hard to get if not ordered ahead of time; i had to call like 5 CVS one month to get it

unfortunately, you may not ovulate without it so i hope you get it!!!!!

Married May 2010
TTC since August 2010, almost a year
IUI in December 2010 - BFP - chemical
IUI on 3/13/11 - BFN
April natural cycle - BFP on 4/22 - chemical confirmed 4/28
IUI done on 5/12 - BFN

IUI #4 done 6/6 - BFN
so sick of getting BFNs

total of 4 failed IUIs
IVF in July

using acupuncture 1x week, Royal Jelly, pre natals, organic Spirulina, Maca Root and Red Raspberry tea
June 8th, 2011, 12:28 PM
My cycle has been canceled.
TTC #1 since 4/08
Unexplained IF
9/11:
June 9th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh no! I'm sorry! Did they decide that you got overstimulated?

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
June 9th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Yep. It was the right decision, from my RE's standpoint. Had my meltdown yesterday, but I'm better today. Thanks.
TTC #1 since 4/08
Unexplained IF
9/11:
June 9th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodieinFL View Post
Yep. It was the right decision, from my RE's standpoint. Had my meltdown yesterday, but I'm better today. Thanks.

so, what did you decide to do - BD or no BD

Married May 2010
TTC since August 2010, almost a year
IUI in December 2010 - BFP - chemical
IUI on 3/13/11 - BFN
April natural cycle - BFP on 4/22 - chemical confirmed 4/28
IUI done on 5/12 - BFN

IUI #4 done 6/6 - BFN
so sick of getting BFNs

total of 4 failed IUIs
IVF in July

using acupuncture 1x week, Royal Jelly, pre natals, organic Spirulina, Maca Root and Red Raspberry tea
June 9th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Think we're going to BD. I bought a opk so we'll see if I surge on it.
TTC #1 since 4/08
Unexplained IF
9/11:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search