Log In Sign Up

IVF Class

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM
MandyEllen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,592
Today was our IVF class at our RE's office. They make sure everyone takes this class about the injections and procedures so that everything is thoroughly explained. After this class, I realize what a commitment the 6 weeks will be. DH is not good with needles, but 3 doors down is our dentist who said he'd give me the IM shots when needed. If he's not home for some reason, my friend's mom is a nurse who lives like 2 mins away.

I am in awe of the strength of you ladies going through this multiple times. I have to be on bc pills for two weeks to "calm" my ovaries and because they don't start new IVF cycles until 12/30/11 and AF is due on Christmas Eve (I know, LUCKY ME!)

I also wanted to ask if you froze your embryos that you didn't use & were viable or did you just take your chance to do another retrieval down the road if you wanted to use IVF again. (Right now, DH and I think we're only going to do this once.)
Mandy (38 years old)

Mom of DD age 3
Due 2/1/18 with Baby #2
Reply With Quote
December 20th, 2011, 06:07 PM
KMH KMH is offline
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: right of center
Posts: 19,318
It is overwhelming at first, but you'll be surprised how soon you get used to it. I hope you only have to do it once and you get great results!

We chose to freeze our embryos. Mine needed another day to grow since they were a little slow, and that cost an extra $300. The cost to freeze them was $800. We pay a storage fee of $200/year that is due in July of each year, regardless of when the embryos are frozen and how many we have. So, we have paid $1500 total for our five little snowbabies.

If it is necessary to do another fresh cycle to give Claire a sibling we will absolutely do it, but if we can have at least one more baby with those embies, then we're done. The stress of a fresh cycle is intense, the cost is crazy, the disruption to our lives was extreme, and so much can go wrong...I really don't want to do it again. Plus, waiting and doing another retrieval later means your eggs are older...that is something to consider.

I obviously haven't been thru an FET cycle yet, but I do have my appointments, meds, and schedule, and compared to a fresh cycle, it is a cake-walk. I have my baseline ultrasound, then two appointments for an ultrasound of my uterine lining and bloodwork. Then I have my transfer. Four total appointments. I will do estrogen shots every 3rd day for 2 weeks, then PIO shots every day until I'm 12 weeks pregnant. That is it. I would do this 1,000 times before I'd volunteer for another fresh cycle Oh, and did I mention that is 1/3 of the cost of a fresh cycle, including having to fly across the country for the transfer?

I guess if you are asking if you should freeze your embryos, I vote "yes!"

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

Reply With Quote
December 20th, 2011, 06:23 PM
MandyEllen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,592
Our fee is $1200 per year for frozen embryo storage. May be if I have to do another cycle, then we'll freeze them. My insurance fully covers IVF so my costs are minimal compared to others. It's so much for me to go thru and I haven't even started it yet. We may just have 1 baby. I know once I have one that I'll probably want another, but my right now decision is one time only.
Mandy (38 years old)

Mom of DD age 3
Due 2/1/18 with Baby #2
Reply With Quote
December 20th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Working mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
Posts: 409
I have only been through a fresh cycle, so far. And we have snowbabies. We are not 100% sure (maybe 90%) that we want another after this one, so we are happy our embies are waiting for us.

Melissa makes a good point about the age of your eggs. Something to consider if the eggs are good quality and the embies are as well. You could decide not to use them. But would definitely be easier than a fresh cycle. The retrival is not so fun. And maybe since your IVF is covered you could save money for storage fees?

Just some ideas. So exciting that you had your class and are on your way! It is definitely overwhelming but so worth it!
Katie (35) DH-Joe (35)

Reply With Quote
December 21st, 2011, 08:25 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,794
wow you are so lucky your insurance pays for this. I am so jealous. Melissa does have good point. Your eggs will be older in the furture and these snowbabies will be young. I wish I had some younger snowbabies from when I was younger. I think you should freeze because you just might want to never go through a fresh cycle again. Good Luck

I know after we went to our IVF class we were so overwelmed and confused I blew up this board with questions. It's a lot to take in. You can do this though!
Me (43) DH(33) 12 years together - ttc our first together-I have 14yr old DS
Cycles 1-6 = BFN
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
Reply With Quote
December 21st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Jenn in DC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,042
Mandy - I know this is a very personal decision but I'll share my experience...

I purposely went through three IVF Egg Retrieval cycles in a row just so that I could have some snow babies for the future. The fact that I had so much trouble getting pregnant now made me worried about how much harder it could be when I'm a few years older, should we decide we want a second child.

I am so thankful that I chose to do things this way. I miscarried after my first IVF transfer and while that was horrible, it would have been so much worse if I didn't have any snow babies to go back for. I don't think I could have faced another full round of IVF at that point. Now I'm pregnant with one of those snow babies It's also very reassuring for me to know that I have three more snowbabies that are ready and waiting for me when/if we want to try for a second child.

If your main hesitation is because of the $1200 storage fee, is it possible for you to work something out with your clinic to pay a reduced fee to freeze your extras and just keep them until you know that you have viable pregnancy from the fresh transfer. Then you can discard the extras if you don't think you want them. I really think it's nice to have some snowbabies waiting in case the first transfer doesn't work or you experience a loss (neither of which I hope ever happen to you!).
My History
Started TTC #1 July 2009
Three IUIs - BFNs
IVF - Cycle Cancelled
Three Rounds of Mini-IVF = 5 frozen embryos
July 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP and then miscarriage
November 2011 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!! Aven Born on August 4, 2012

July 2014 - Got Pregnant Naturally with Twins! Miscarriage at 9 weeks.
November 2014 - Single Frozen Embryo Transfer. BFP!

Reply With Quote
December 21st, 2011, 02:15 PM
MandyEllen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,592
Hey Girls! Thanks for all of the advice. DH and I keep going back and forth. We haven't handed in our consent/deny form yet. I will need to hand it in on my CD3 appointment, which will be the day after Christmas (probably). We have the money. We have been saving and saving for the addition on our house, so we can take a little out of our house fund. We decided to discuss it more over dinner tonight. I can change my mind up until the retrieval...I think I'm just so emotional after the IVF class and seeing what this process entails.

I did have an acupuncture treatment today. I really need to find my zen and xi!
Mandy (38 years old)

Mom of DD age 3
Due 2/1/18 with Baby #2
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0