Log In Sign Up

Need Advice

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 49
Folks, I could really use some advice.

I had a miscarriage in Feb 2011 and have not been able to get pregnant since then. We tried Clomid for three months, and then we tried Clomid alternative with shots, and now we are in our first month of solely shots.

Everything was going fine, but then I went to the doctor today and I have four potential eggs that could all release at the same time. The doctor wants to cancel this cycle, and prescribed me Provera. I was not going to do IUI this cycle anyway because our insurance will not cover anything afterwards so we were just going to time intercourse.

I don't know why, but there's a part of me that wants to just ignore the doctor's advice and try. She's concerned that there is a 5% risk of all four getting fertilized and implanted. Of course, I'm thinking that the risks are low (in my mind) that we should just go for it. I mean, 5% seems so low! And I have had no luck in the past year of getting pregnant.

Or, should I just go with the doctor's advice? Take Provera, then I have to take BC for 2 weeks, then wait for my period....that will be the end of February.

We have to decide immediately as I will be ovulating very soon.

Please don't R&R. I've already asked the doctor a million questions, and would love some advice from out there.

Last edited by Freed; January 11th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
January 11th, 2012, 12:43 PM
KMH KMH is offline
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: right of center
Posts: 19,318
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but this is a really personal decision that only you and DH can make, and you both need to be 100% behind whatever you decide.

Personally, my DH and I chose to skip injectable meds because we didn't want to be put in this situation. If you end up with triplets or more, there are no good choices. Carrying all of the babies is enormously risky, but the other option is selective reduction...we absolutely did not want to face those decisions, so we went to IVF where we had more control of the situation. Had we been in your shoes, we would have taken the dr.'s advice...just too risky to try.

That is just my 2 cents, though, and the answer isn't the same for everyone. GOod luck.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

Reply With Quote
January 11th, 2012, 05:18 PM
mojo-risin's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 604
I agree with KMH. Ultimately, the decision is 100% up to you and DH. You have to ask yourself if you are comfortable with ALL possible outcomes. I would put your chances of high order multiples at much less than 5% though. Twins? Very probable.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggie!!

Reply With Quote
January 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: British but living in California
Posts: 2,582
I would not take the doctor's advice. I would just keep trying. It is very unlikely that all four will fertilize. If you don't try you have no chance at all this cycle!

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
Reply With Quote
January 12th, 2012, 01:06 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,794
That is a hard decision make sure you and DH both agree. You are a team.

However, we would proceed. I just had 4 eggs too from a medicated cycle and two IUI in a row and still a BFN this after ttc for a year. So I understand where you are coming from.

Now with that said. Are you sure it's cause you have 4 eggs or because your ovaries are too swollen? If it's just the eggs I would proceed. If you are at risk though for over stimulation than maybe that is why your dr. wants you to stop and get on the other meds and BCP to calm your ovaries. To me it sounds like you need claification.

It does stink to spend money on a cycle to have it cancelled.

Good luck making your decision.
Me (43) DH(33) 12 years together - ttc our first together-I have 14yr old DS
Cycles 1-6 = BFN
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
Reply With Quote
January 12th, 2012, 02:06 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: west, but east. south, but not north.
Posts: 7,853
This ultimately can only be decided between you and your husband.

Personally, 4 follicles is the maximum number my RE will allow a patient to do an IUI or TI cycle with, and I've cycled with that number before. However, I do have PCOS and have never had a successful pregnancy, even on a cycle when my old RE allowed my to cycle with 8 follicles(I could kick myself now, I knew nothing about the risks back then).
We're not comfortable with cycling with more than 3 follicles, and will not do injects because of this. If oral meds do not work, eventually we'll move on to IVF because quads is not an option for us.

Good luck making this decision.

My Blog
Me: 27, PCOS, ENDO, RPL, severe vitamin D defficiency
Him: 36, severe MFI post VR but counts climbing

2006-2015 7+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

IVF referral in= 7/2017
RE Appt #1- 8/22/2017- doctor swears I don't have PCOS or RPL, go VEGAN to cure all
RE Appt #2- 8/24/2017- sono shows clear cysts, high afc, all bloodwork comes back PCOS typical

PAUSED UNTIL JANUARY 2018 to find a new IVF clinic

Reply With Quote
January 12th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago!
Posts: 2,636
Just make sure you have all the facts and you and your DH are both on the same page before you decide anything. I personally would probably cycle with 4 in your shoes (in my shoes I'd cycle with up to 6 seeing as only one side can get fertilized and I doubt they'd all be over there). Good luck, and whatever decision you make is the right one.

Always remembering our angel babies - 4/2011 (ectopic), 4/2012 (chemical) and
Angel Twins 5/23/14 (at 7 weeks 2 days)

Reply With Quote
January 13th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,830
Hmm it is tough to give much input without knowing all of your history. Are you dealing with MIF? I went through with a medicated IUI cycle with 5 possibles before we triggered and 4 eggs actually released. BUT in our circumstances I knew the odds were low that all 4 reached where they needed to be (I have a potentially blocked tube) and that we got even one viable pg out of the batch (and we actually got none). We are dealing with severe MIF.

Reply With Quote
January 28th, 2012, 07:49 AM
KMH KMH is offline
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: right of center
Posts: 19,318
any updates?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0