what do you all think?

Forum: Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Super Mommy
so, last month i went to a new RE. she put me on progesterone, but told me my progesterone levels were normal (10).

i have had 3 m/c and a healthy son. since i didn't get pregnant last month, i went back in today to see what was my next step (should we continue progesterone, etc). she did an ultrasound and said it looked like i had a polyp on my uterus (i just had a sonohystogram two months ago that showed nothing) and she said it didn't look like my fsh was doing anything. (no one has ever tested those levels before, but last month, based on blood work, she said i had ovulated).

she gave me a prescription for clomid and told me that she didn't want to do a follow up ultrasound because she wanted me to save my money this month so i could spend it next month. she also said that i didn't need the progesterone anymore.

then she sends me up front and the woman up there wants me to sign up for a class on how to take fertility meds and gives me the cost of the IUI and superovulation (it's about 1500 a month, my insurance doesn't pay for any of it).

i am a little miffed because the whole reason i'm there is not because i can't get pregnant, but because i can't stay pregnant. and after about 5 years of trying to figure it out, four different doctor's offices haven't been able to find anything wrong with me. i just kind of felt like she was looking at me with dollar signs in her eyes. i really don't have any problem getting pregnant. and things like clomid and IUI just help you conceive, right? they don't keep you pregnant once you're there. plus, IUI won't be worth anything if i just miscarry after conception.

i felt a little hopeful at first because of all this talk of fertility drugs and ways to get pregnant. then the more i thought about it, the more annoyed i got. i didn't even get the feeling that the dr. knew why i was there. her reaction to whatever i had to tell her was 'make her buy meds!!'.

am i overreacting?
January 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Super Mommy
Well I know that the progesterone can help you stay pg because it is the hormone that helps the baby implant. I don't see how IUI would help you stay pg. I am going to an RE becuase after my last m/c I haven't been able to get pg again. Turns out I don't ovulate well on my own. I'm doing inj. to help increase the number of good follicles that will produce eggs. and then trigger inj. to stimulate the ovulation. Then we do an IUI to take the sperms to the right spot. If you are getting pg on your own I don't see why you would do an IUI but I'm not a dr. I would right down a list of these questions and ask at your next appt. or call and ask the nurse maybe she can help you. I defiantly wouldn't spend the $ to do the IUI if it is not necessary.
Starting adoption classes!! Finally getting the process started
IUI #3 BFN
1 laporoscopy, 1 mc, 6mo's of clomid, 3 mo's of injections and IUI's
countless blooddraws and ultrasounds. Hopefully a BFP soon!!
Kelly 29 and JD 29 adopting #1 (or maybe two)
January 17th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Clomid can help with your egg quality and IUI can help with the sperm and increase pg chances since they seperate the good sperm from the weaker sperm. I wish dr's would explain things better instead of leaving things so up in the air.

I felt the same way in the beginning. I had no problems getting pg, it was staying pg. So when I was put on clomid (even though I O'd between CD14 and CD17) I was a little shocked. Then when I was told that IUI would be the next step if clomid alone didn't work after 3 cycles I was floored. After asking questions I found out the method behind my RE's "madness". Hopefully you can ask some questions and get some answers.
January 18th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Aidan's Mommy
I'm sorry you had such a frustrating appointment.

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help on the medical advice... I went straight to IVF because I couldn't get pregnant and am only recently doing new tests because I can't stay pregnant.

I'm sure there is good reason why your doctor is taking this course of action with you. But, that being said, if you're not comfortable with either the doctor or the approach, then you may want to consider changing doctors. What you don't need right now is extra stress of a poor doctor/patient relationship. If you don't think you're to that point yet, then go back and ask the specific questions on approach and see if you get sufficient clarification.

Good luck to you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search