anyone here keep chickens?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so excited, we are finally starting our own backyard flock. We put in our order from mypetchicken.com for 10 chicks and they should be arriving in August. DH grew up on a little mini farm for he's kept chickens on and off for years. My kids are beside themselves with excitement and I dont blame them one bit. One of our neighbors recently got chickens and we got green with envy. DH finally gave me the green light to order them hee hee hee.

June 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's cool! My dh's cousin had chickens for a while, but they had to get rid of them. One was a mean rooster, and the other's kept disappearing. I would love to have chickens, but my neighbors might not appreciate it.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

June 28th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have 8! We love them. They have been so much fun. At night when they are groggy and sitting on top of their house, before I put them all in the house, my 10 month old loves to pet them. He loves watching them come out in the morning when I open the coop and spread their feed. It is so awesome! Then the goats come over and the chickens try to shoo them away by flapping their wings, which makes the dogs think something is wrong. Then the chickens come up on our front porch and eat the cat food while the cats just sleep in the sun.

You will love them.

Oh, and Shari626, you may be able to have 3 or 4 hens where you live. They are quiet and can live quite nicely in even rather urban areas. Don't do it for free eggs, though. It isn't worth that! Be sure to order "pullets" or go to a feed store in the spring and ask if they are "pullets". That means they are 98% sure they are female. If you get a rooster, you can give him away or eat him.
June 29th, 2008, 08:13 AM
i wish we could get away with having a goat too but we live in city limits. We ordered all females 4 black asterlopes, 2 red star and 4 domeniques. Eventually when we get up the saving and work up the balls we are going to pack up and leave florida for some place that we can afford pretty acreage.

June 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
we're getting a late start on ours this year. we ordered 35 and they arrive on the 7th. i should probably get the coop ready. we have to clean and expand it because it wasn't made for that many chickens, but my mother in law had to have these easter egg laying ones because she wants "pretty eggs." so we had to add more on to what we normally get so she got what she wanted. oh...the deal was, she bought the chickens this year (because her dh won't let her keep them at their place) and we take care of them. so yeah. we love having chickens around and the kids love it too. plus they eat the danged bugs out of the garden!

June 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Quote:
i wish we could get away with having a goat too but we live in city limits. We ordered all females 4 black asterlopes, 2 red star and 4 domeniques. Eventually when we get up the saving and work up the balls we are going to pack up and leave florida for some place that we can afford pretty acreage.[/b]
You can get pretty acreage in N FL! Come join us.
June 30th, 2008, 03:08 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can get some nice acreage in middle TN around Nashville where I live too. I love it here, but miss being on a coast with the ocean a short drive away. It's about an 8 hour drive to the coast of Alabama tho, not too bad. Oh, and I'm afraid of chickens, so I could never keep any, lol! They scare me for some reason, they seem very mean!

Ashley,doula and busy mom to:
Brianne 11
Colin 10
Kylie 9
Bryson 7
Noah 5

June 30th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Our chickens are so sweet and tender and juicy, no I mean, gentle! They have been handled extensively since they were peeps.
June 30th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Our chickens are so sweet and tender and juicy, no I mean, gentle! They have been handled extensively since they were peeps.[/b]

we ordered the asterlopes with the hope that at least a few of our chickens will be gentle and more "pet like" If any of em are too mean, DH is well versed in chicken butchering and plucking.

Dh and i want out of hurricane alley and some place with higher ground otherwise north Florida would be where'd we end up. Of course higher ground means COLD, which will be a HUGE adjustment when the time comes. We are both Florida natives

June 30th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Our chickens are so sweet and tender and juicy, no I mean, gentle! They have been handled extensively since they were peeps.[/b]

we ordered the asterlopes with the hope that at least a few of our chickens will be gentle and more "pet like" If any of em are too mean, DH is well versed in chicken butchering and plucking.

Dh and i want out of hurricane alley and some place with higher ground otherwise north Florida would be where'd we end up. Of course higher ground means COLD, which will be a HUGE adjustment when the time comes. We are both Florida natives
[/b]
We get the occasional hurricane making landfall near here, but we are in this weird armpit place where the winds blow them to the east and to the west rather than right up our gut. I feel very safe here from hurricanes. The worst part is the panic that the weather channel inflicts on everybody. It is insane at the grocery before a hurricane leaves the gulf. Atlanta and TN have gotten more water from our hurricanes than we do.
July 1st, 2008, 09:58 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are hoping to get some soon! Just last weekend we were talking about it and went and looked at some materials to build a coop for them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search