question about homeschooling

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2008, 06:10 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have "home preschooled" all three of my younger children. Erin and Andrew were more than ready for kindergarten and so far this year Andrew is ahead of his peers academically. I go in to help out his class one day a week and bring Shane with me. Shane just turned four (Sept 28) and he blends right in with the kindergarten class and does the same work they do while we are there. Emotionally, he isn't on the same level as they are, as he is still prone to bouts of frustration that lead to a total melt down.

Next year, Shane won't be going to kindergarten either because he will miss the cutoff. The cut off in our state is Aug. 31st. I am fine with that, but I would like to challenge him more next year as opposed to my usual prek stuff we do. I have looking online for a curriculum and it is overwhelming. For those of you who homeschool, what type of curriculum do you follow? Any that you can recommend?

Thank you!!!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

October 3rd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't use any set curriculum. Our preschoolers tend to soak up everything everyone else is doing. I suggest READ, READ, READ with him all the time. We use Math-U-See for math and they have a Primer designed for K. He will likely be fine with that and the Alpha, which correlates to 1st grade. The Primer is just an introduction, but in Alpha, mastery is expected before you move on to the next level. Also, take him places and let him experience the world around you.

Check your state laws about when a child has to be registered to be homeschooled. You could register him as a K and then enroll him the next year in 1st grade. Maybe. I know a couple people here who did that with their VERY bright kids who were born in Oct, so would have waited another year to actually go to school.

And you might find that you really like it and never send him! Then one by one bring the others home. And then one day find yourself voting Republican!
October 3rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Quote:
We don't use any set curriculum. Our preschoolers tend to soak up everything everyone else is doing. I suggest READ, READ, READ with him all the time. We use Math-U-See for math and they have a Primer designed for K. He will likely be fine with that and the Alpha, which correlates to 1st grade. The Primer is just an introduction, but in Alpha, mastery is expected before you move on to the next level. Also, take him places and let him experience the world around you.

Check your state laws about when a child has to be registered to be homeschooled. You could register him as a K and then enroll him the next year in 1st grade. Maybe. I know a couple people here who did that with their VERY bright kids who were born in Oct, so would have waited another year to actually go to school.

And you might find that you really like it and never send him! Then one by one bring the others home. And then one day find yourself voting Republican![/b]

I know I would really like it. It's DH that isn't on board with the homeschooling. LOL....and I am a registered republican. LOL

October 3rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One other thing, we use "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons". My 4 and 5 yos both like it. It is a very simple reading plan and you can take your time or speed up depending on how he responds.

I thought you were voting for Biden! I am voting for Palin. To be clear, I can't stand Obama, not thrilled with McCain. I am voting for Palin.
October 3rd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Quote:
One other thing, we use "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons". My 4 and 5 yos both like it. It is a very simple reading plan and you can take your time or speed up depending on how he responds.

I thought you were voting for Biden! I am voting for Palin. To be clear, I can't stand Obama, not thrilled with McCain. I am voting for Palin.[/b]

I said I was registered republican. I didn't say I was voting republican. I am totally for Joe Biden. Although, I do like Palin. I admire her "soccer/PTA mom" style. I totally agree that Obama and McCain both stink. I am not thrilled with this whole election.

Oh well - thanks for the advice of the homeschool curriculum!!

October 3rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
mommablogger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Teach your child to read is great, but I would try to find it at your library or through a friend first if you can. It's not an expensive book, but it doesn't work for everyone. I've used it on two of my kids, and they did great. A friend of mine used it for one of hers, and she hated it. Personally, I think it's perfect.

You could also try something like Five In A Row. It's a study that uses books from the library, and there are some really great books in there. It breaks things up into a different subject each day that is based around the book you're reading, so there are different activities. I've been pretty happy with it, and have been able to find most of the books.

You could also check out Starfall, Letter Of The Week, and Enchanted Learning. They all have different resources for learning (they're all websites). Enchanted Learning has tons of worksheets and activites, especially for holiday stuff. The others both are reading and letter based.

Good luck It's too bad dh isn't too into home schooling. Maybe do some more research and come back to him with some facts, such as most home schooled kids are better able to socialize and are usually quite a bit smarter than public schooled kids.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

October 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
4boys
I personally love the Explode the Code books. My four year old is working through the primer ones (Get Ready for the Code) and he'll do ten pages at a time! I also use Horizons math, it's colourful and he likes it. I also let my kids play on Starfall. Toby actually learned all his letters, the sounds, and started reading three letter words from just playing on that site. I also suggest that you do a lot of reading together. You really don't need to spend a ton of time on it, you will be amazed what he picks up!
October 4th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
All of the above is great. I've used Abeka K4 and didn't really care for it for the time I was doing it...but I will be using it on my son as we didn't use most of it cause it wasn't what my DD needed. I also used Sonlight...but my DD, though she loves to read...wasn't THAT into being read to and reading....so it didn't suit us though it's a GREAT curriculum.....this year we are using MFW1 for 1st grade....

We started homeschooling (originally) because my dd missed the cutoff as well...the cutoff in MO is Aug1...her bday is Aug 25....and she's been MORE than ready since she was old enough to go...so I decided to homeschool her for K....in our state they ALSO have to be 6 before Aug 1 to enter first grade...so I knew that if I homeschooled her for K I'd also have to do 1st in order for her to be where we thought she "should" be....since starting homeschooling I dont really want to stop. But it's really not just up to me. I feel this is what God wants us to do. But both my dh and I have to agree on it and right now he's still not 100% on board all the time. There are times he's supportive then there are times he's not! So we'll see what next year holds! LOL...

(Oh and MFW stands for My Fathers World)....

Good luck..there are a lot of great suggestions. Starfall is a favorite for my 4 and 6 year old....there are lots of free resources online. You could also just go to your local barnes and nobel or whatever you've got handy and pick up some easy readers, workbooks, and then to walmart or an office supply store and get some manipulatives and go from there.....Reading, Writing, Arithmetic are the three main areas to cover something on...work on writing skills and letter sounds and once letter sounds are done...move on to blending and then on to reading short words...then long vowel sounds etc. YOU'D be the teacher so YOU could personalize it...BUT I will say if you DO plan on sending him to K the following year when the state allows....you dont want him to have mastered all the stuff in that grade and be bored with it and lose the love for learning....just a thought....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search