Flying w/ your large family

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Has anyone flown anywhere w/ all the kids? Or has anyone traveled long distances without dh/so? If so, how did it go?

Dh is working again but he is down somewhere around Mobile, AL and he says that they should be there for 5 months or so (of course, they always say that and then the money runs out and they get laid off like a week later ). However, if the job does last, there is no way I can go 5 months w/o seeing my dh but it's like a 12 hr drive from where I'm at and that's w/o stops. I'm trying to decide what my best option would be, Fly or Drive?

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

March 17th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Move. Would it be possible? You could rent your house, and then rent something where he is. AL should be cheap to live in. It would be worth looking into. 12 hours is a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG drive.

Does he get a housing allowance? Are you paying for 2 places anyway? Just go with him.
March 17th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmers-wife View Post
Move. Would it be possible? You could rent your house, and then rent something where he is. AL should be cheap to live in. It would be worth looking into. 12 hours is a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG drive.

Does he get a housing allowance? Are you paying for 2 places anyway? Just go with him.
I just don't know if it's possible. Contractors plan one thing then the funds run out and entire job sites get shut down. I'd be to afraid of moving down there and then the site shutting down and then Brian gets sent to another job in another state. (This actually happened to friends of ours.)

I think he's currently getting $80/day for living expenses. Hotel's about 250/wk. Rent would probably be cheaper but we would need to find someone that was willing to do a month-to-month contract and that's very rare.

When I'm Due...

March 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Oh! I just thought of someone. I forget her name. But she used to go to my church years ago. Her husband kind of did that, too. Worked here and there and came home weekends and when he could. One day, they decided to pull the kids out of school, sell the house, and buy an RV. So they all traveled around to his jobs together! I haven't seen them in years. I wonder how they are doing.
March 17th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
fly?
no, no thank you. I'd rather drive with all of these kids any day.

March 17th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd rather fly, with dh or help of some sort

Lucky mother to five!

March 17th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmers-wife View Post
Oh! I just thought of someone. I forget her name. But she used to go to my church years ago. Her husband kind of did that, too. Worked here and there and came home weekends and when he could. One day, they decided to pull the kids out of school, sell the house, and buy an RV. So they all traveled around to his jobs together! I haven't seen them in years. I wonder how they are doing.
There are alot of families we know that do that! (Not all of them have RV's though, lol.) We did for a little while just after #3 was born and it was ok. The thing that made me stop wanting to travel w/ him was when we were nearly in a head on collision w/ a semi. (I firmly believe we were subjects of a miracle that night.) After that, I just wanted to stay home! I'm over it now but I still don't know if I want to be on the go all the time.

When I'm Due...

March 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Have you checked plane ticket prices lately? Dh was checking because he may need to fly to St Louis from either Austin or Dallas next month, and for JUST him it is TWICE what we paid for BOTH of us on our honeymoon. For our honeymoon we went to Branson, so it's comparable; we paid $230 round trip for the both of us. For just him, one way, it's $300.

My kids are kind of used to driving so maybe that prejudices me, in addition to the cost of flying, but... DRIVE!!!!!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
March 17th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalynnrmc View Post
Have you checked plane ticket prices lately? Dh was checking because he may need to fly to St Louis from either Austin or Dallas next month, and for JUST him it is TWICE what we paid for BOTH of us on our honeymoon. For our honeymoon we went to Branson, so it's comparable; we paid $230 round trip for the both of us. For just him, one way, it's $300.

My kids are kind of used to driving so maybe that prejudices me, in addition to the cost of flying, but... DRIVE!!!!!
I haven't looked into prices yet but I'm sure it will be a small fortune!! At this point if it does come down to me having to go to him I will probably drive. Just the thought of trying to get 5 kids through all the check points by myself is enough to make me what to (Plus the fact that I've never actually been on an airplane before, I just drop people off and then pick them up, lol)

On a sidenote -- that's cool you went to Branson for your honeymoon, I'm a little over 2 hrs from there. We go from time to time.

When I'm Due...

March 17th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would drive in a heartbeat. The thought of being on a plane alone with our 7......Wow. And the kids are good, they are just all so young. Do you mind if I ask what your DH does? My DH is currently out of town during the weeks and comes home on the weekends. He's a plumber and is working on a new site. I understand about the money running out....It's happened to us before too.

Good luck!

March 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting our Blessings View Post
I would drive in a heartbeat. The thought of being on a plane alone with our 7......Wow. And the kids are good, they are just all so young. Do you mind if I ask what your DH does? My DH is currently out of town during the weeks and comes home on the weekends. He's a plumber and is working on a new site. I understand about the money running out....It's happened to us before too.

Good luck!
He's a welder, currently working on some huge steelmill down in AL. My dream is for him to become an instructor at the welding school he went to (or any school for that matter) just waiting for an opportunity.

I hope your dh stays busy this year! Mine hasn't had a whole lot of luck since November but hopefully things will start firing up again now.

When I'm Due...

March 17th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I can see you not wanting to do that again if you already have. Well, I am fresh out of ideas. I pray you find an answer that brings you peace.
March 17th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would drive myself. I have flown alone with my kids, and I have made 15 hours drives with them. The flying was really a pain honestly...between driving the hour to the airport (on both ends), parking the car, and then of course having to bring car seats and all that stuff with us. In the end it didn't even save us much time.

I wouldn't move...five months just isn't worth it in my book. Moving always ends up costing money...deposits and all that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search