4 Chore Questions

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
What do your children do for chores?
How old are your children when they start doing chores?
Do they have a specific chart or just help where needed?
Do you pay them?

Mom x 5

January 28th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
The chores are pretty much the normal stuff in my house and those they are expected to do everyday. There are of course other things they help with but it isn't their daily "job". I started the older ones around 6-8 we had a chart that was posted in each room and on the chart was a list of what was expected of them when I said clean the bathroom. That helped me from having to go in and out saying you forgot to do this and you forgot to do that. It was done check off style in a plastic sleeve so they could mark it off with earaseable markers.

I have been a little lazier with the younger set and have recently started making them help, pretty soon all of my older ones will be leaving and then I will have created lazy little ones and that is something I don't want .

I also do not pay for chores, my kids get more money from me if I don't and besides we are a family and a family helps each other. I do however have things they can do around the house to earn money and usually it's cause I don't want to do something but it needs to be done.
January 28th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What do your children do for chores? dust, sweep, fold towels, gather the trash from all the rooms for trash day, clean their room, and the like.
How old are your children when they start doing chores? Even my 2 yr old helps, but chores are much different at 2 than they are at 7. We start them young and make chores seem fun.
Do they have a specific chart or just help where needed? I have charts but I am bad about using them, so it is usually just me telling them what they need to do.
Do you pay them? They get .50 a week for gathering the trash and if they are especially helpful (ie... doing things without being asked) then they will get a little extra money for that.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

January 28th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No set schedule and I don't get a lot of help with cleaning. It seems the most everyone helps out with is each other. This morning dd watched the two boys while they were in the tub so I could drink my coffee and watch the Today show. Usually I'll say "Keaton empty the dishwasher" or "Nina clean the bathroom" if they aren't doing anything important and I need help.

No pay. But every Sunday I rotate between Keaton and Nina with a special day of just me and the one kid going to the movies and eating at a restaurant. This is my thanks to them and lets me have bonding time one on one.
January 31st, 2011, 10:27 PM
Veteran
We have basic chores that they all help with - picking up their toys, wiping the table, helping empty the dish washer etc. They also help fold the washing and put it away. The amount of jobs they do is dependant on their age. My youngest - 2 years old - helps out with what ever we are doing and sometimes is the most helpful and does the best job.

We don't give money for jobs as its a part of looking after our home. We have a reward chart with things like being king/queen for an hour and the others serving them if they do their jobs diligently with good attitudes. If they have a bad attitude than they get more jobs that are a bit harder to do like scrubbing kitchen chairs or wiping walls.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search